France (from Ligue 2)

Germany (from 2nd Division)

Italy (from Serie B)

Holland (from Jupiler League)

Portugal (from Liga Vitalis)

Spain (from LIGA adalente)

Argentina (from 2nd division)

Brazil (from 2nd division)

I have created myself as an unemployed, former pro, American manager with English set as 2nd nationality.I intend starting my career in North America for a few seasons before hopefully moving on to Europe.

The plan I had of commencing my career in the USL and earning a position in the MLS had a spanner thrown into the works in mid June, when Chicago Fire chairman Andrew Hauptman decided to dispense with the services of manager Denis Hamlett and promptly offered the job to me. Despite being concerned whether the sacking of Hamlett indicated an impatient board (The Fire were already in 1st place in the Eastern Conference) and it not fitting with the intial plan, I eventually decided to accept the 2 year, £2,300 per week contract.

Season 2009 Update

Regular Season Standings

12 games had already been played by the time I joined in which the Fire had managed 6 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses. A consistent run of form whilst all the other teams seemed to beat each other regularly saw us quickly pull away at the top of the conference. Even after a late slump in form where we won just 1 of the last 5 games wasnt enough to reduce the lead to any less than 7 points.

Final Standings

MLS Championship

Eastern Conference Semi Final

Real Salt Lake 1-2 Chicago Fire (1st Leg)

Chicago Fire 1-0 Real Salt Lake (2nd Leg)

Eastern Conference Final

Chicago Fire 1-0 Kansas City Wizards

MLS Final

Chicago Fire 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

US Open Cup

Final

Chicago Fire 1-1 New England Revolution (4-1 pens)

Superliga

Final

Monterey 1 - 0 Chicago Fire

Transfers

Best XI

GK: Jon Busch

DR: C.J. Brown

DL: Clemente Ovalle

DC: Dasan Robinson

DC: Wilman Conde

MC: Marcelo Sosa

MC: Justin Mapp

ML: Marco Pappa

MR: Chris Rolfe

FC: Brian McBride

FC: Wilson Carpintero

Key Players

Brian McBride - The experienced striker missed most of season with a damaged achilles tendon. However he proved what a key player he is when he came back, his 11 goals in 15 games proving invaluable during the run in.

Willman Conde - The Colombian centre back formed a formidable centre back pairing with Dasan Robinson. However with his contract expiring at the end of 2010 and admiring glances already coming his way from Europe chances are he may leave the club in the near future.

Wilson Carpintero - With McBride and Blanco missing the sizeable amount of games through injury, the Fire desperately needed somebody to step forward. Carpintero did this top scoring for the Fire with 15 goals.

Summary

A hugely successful season that saw us take the MLS championship and the US Cup. However the warning signs are there that it may be extremely difficult to repeat such success again. With several of the squad well into their 30s its an aging squad whos skillset is deteriorating with little in the squad to replace them. Additionally the loss of Rolfe (to AaB) and Blanco (current DP contract holder) there is a lot of work to be done if theres to be any chance of more honours next season.

Archived