Is Buying From Steam Cheaper?

Does anyone know if its cheaper than going to a shop?

Curious because using steam would cut out alot of distribution costs (unless they are paying steam very well).

Does the customer benefit in any way in terms of price?

Steam is a con then, in my opinion.

How do you know what their overheads are? Sure they don't have the same overheads as a retail store but a retail store doesn't have to buy bandwidth and servers. And maintain them!

Just because Steam don't have the same overheads as a store doesn't mean they don't have any! Take it from someone who builds and hosts websites, servers aren't cheap!

Where Steam lose certain costs such as distribution etc, im sure they will incur other costs instead such as servers/bandwidth etc.

I do think though that Steam is very expensive (relatively), and im all for a cheaper FM :)

I woudnt say that, its a lot easier to buy/download via steam, it also updates itself, and you get a FM09 style skin :)

You could program the boxed Exe to update itself if they wanted. Alot of out of the box games do this already. You can also get an FM09 skin for free too on the internet.

Im just interesting in cost benefits not gimmicks.

Well it really depends on where you live, doesn't it?

I'm from the States and Steam is a good deal here. To get a boxed copy you have to buy from Amazon at $39.99 plus shipping or slow free shipping. Pretty sure importing from UK ends up costing more unless you get in on one of the cheap preorders like Zavvi but then you live with a big time delay.

Steam is also $39.99 with no shipping charges and no sales tax. Also get the game on release day. No chance of anyone in the US having a boxed copy on release day that I know of. Not sure if GamersGate was cheaper in the US but no predownload for a $5 (?) savings, not worth it to me.

I really don't get all of the complaining about Steams pricing, at least from UK buyers. You guys are lucky and have plenty of competition so can find FM cheap somewhere if you look.

Steam does have overhead but even if you take that out of the equation they set a price like any retailer. You can take or leave it and in your case you can leave it for a much better price than I can get in the States.

• 1 month later...
No, the actuall RRP is £39.99, so you get a tenner off the RRP. Much like the shops do.

RRP was the wrong word maybe, of course they have discounts, what I mean is they sell things at the same price a regular show like HMV or Play would. They aren't a bargain bin like Zavvi.

I'd go with that. I bought the game for 17.95 and Steam were/are selling it for 29.99.

Why anyone (well British based people anyway) would want to pay almost double through Steam I dont know. I suppose those who have to rely on foreign delivery may see advantages to it.

I'd go with that. I bought the game for 17.95 and Steam were/are selling it for 29.99.

Why anyone would want to pay almost double through Steam I dont know.

Because when I looked the cheapest price I could find was £27.99 and that was after checking approx 30 websites/shops etc.

Archived