Match engine

So if a player scored a goal in full mode that same player would have scored if only viewing highlights?

Nail on the head.

What you see is a result of many calculations done by the match engine. These are then displayed however you choose to view it. Whether you watch in text commentary or 3-d, the results/scorers/incidents will be exactly the same.

Its a common misconception, people see the match engine as what you see with your eyes. This prompts people to saying things like "the match engine looks rubbish". Whats actually happening is the match engine calculations are being displayed through different formats, and things like the 3-d animations havn't caught up sufficently to reflect it.... yet. Its just more obvious using 3-d as you can see any quirks that are displayed, whereas in text or 2-d your imagination can make up for it.

Nail on the head.

What you see is a result of many calculations done by the match engine. These are then displayed however you choose to view it. Whether you watch in text commentary or 3-d, the results/scorers/incidents will be exactly the same.

Its a common misconception, people see the match engine as what you see with your eyes. This prompts people to saying things like "the match engine looks rubbish". Whats actually happening is the match engine calculations are being displayed through different formats, and things like the 3-d animations havn't caught up sufficently to reflect it.... yet. Its just more obvious using 3-d as you can see any quirks that are displayed, whereas in text or 2-d your imagination can make up for it.

I guess my only additional question how is the results pre-calculated if during the actual replay your able to change your tactics on the fly. Seems to suggest playing a full game could be different then highlights since you could change your tactics mid-stream.

I guess my only additional question how is the results pre-calculated if during the actual replay your able to change your tactics on the fly. Seems to suggest playing a full game could be different then highlights since you could change your tactics mid-stream.

Well, it's not that much "pre-calculated" as random factors change from time to time without you doing anything (try save a game pre-match and play several times), but of course watching a full match has its advantages. Many a manager has found it to be the most reliable way of analyzing your team performance and then tweaking your tactics.

I know you can select different ways to view the match like full game, highlights, etc. Would you get the same results regardless which mode you use? If not which viewing method provides the best results? Thanks.

Let me be mischievous and say 'Yes, it CAN be different'!

What I mean is this - the player who views the game is less likely to make many ingame tactical adjustments, thus the outcome of the match will be as he set it up at the beginning. Whereas the micro-manager watching on extended or full highlights is much more sensitive to what's going on and will make more adjustments. In theory, therefore, the latter ought to lead to a better outcome. None of that is to contradict the basic facts about how the ME works; I'm just adding a 'psychological' dimension.

The match engine initially plays the entire game out kick for kick, pass for pass and then plays this back to you through whatever highlights mode you have selected. All tactical changes and subs made by AI managers are already included in this. If at any point you make a change it recalculates the rest of the match from that point onwards with your changes factored in. Basically it's best not to think about it - as far as we are concerned the game appears to be playing out in real time, all changes occur in real time and so on, it makes no difference what the actual mechanics of it are.

Archived