New to the series & genre...nor a big football fan...

...but what I do love is tinkering and flipping though details...so I picked up FM2010 to try something new.

I haven't even gotten to my first match yet and I am overwhelmed with information, AND LOVING IT!

Sure I don't know much beyond a few big names in the sport, and I am definitely not a football fan, but this game has me charged up. I do however appreciate the flow of the sport (its similar to my fave...Hockey!) and the act of fine-tuning a team to put together a winner. And FM2010 gives me that and so much more.

At this point I am still trying to figure out if my laptop is going to like running it (so I can waste away 40 minutes on the train commute) or if I just run it at home on my main machine, but I have started it up on my laptop for now. I chose to start at the bottom and work my way up. I am starting with Maidenhead of the Blue Square South Premier League and can't wait to see how my ragtag bunch performs on the pitch...once I am done tinkering with the squad.

So having never played an SI product before, nor a "manager" style game before...color me impressed by the product thus far...really hoping the excitement continues in the 3D game engine.

Though I will say that all this makes me sad that I missed out on the NHL Eastside hockey manager years ago... is there another one in the works maybe? Ahh well I am content to learn more about football and all that goes with it through this great game.

So on a final note...

Have any quick tips for a complete neophyte to the game?

Thanks and hope to poke around more on these forums over the coming months!

Hey, welcome to the wonderful world of FM. I was the same way back in the old Championship Manager 4 days. Always loved football, but was not that into it until this series pulled me in. A quick tip to keep in mind is to not get frustrated as the learning curve can be a little steep for those starting out.

My story is very similar to yours except I started in 2008.

My only advice is play & tinker and read some forums.

I found the lower leagues to be much more challenging and enjoyable.

When the next patch comes out you can use all the info you have gathered on the game over your first few months to start a new long save game on the patched version which are very enjoyable.

Archived