DVD unreadable on iMac & then ejects. Help please!

so having run out and bought this, putting it into my iMac (Snow Leopard, latest version)

i hear it churning for around 5-10secs, then it ejects the disk!

i tried it in my windows work laptop, and the autorun.exe executes as expected, though i didnt actually start the install (for obvious reasons!)

i then tried a number of other mac dvd's and games in the drive, NONE had a problem reading and mounting the disk.

can anyone help? are there any "hold down this key when inserting disk" type commands available to override the auto read? do i need to have something pre-installed? can i download the installer online, seeing as i now have the dvd?

cheers

jingo_man

p.s. i am guessing that i will have problems running the game too, as it needs the dvd in the drive for copy protection? but it wont stay in my damned machine!

I take it the disc icon never reaches your desktop or finder window?

I've actually never had a disc eject itself without mounting.

Apparently this is a suggestion that MAY help (from 2007 - may not be relevant any longer): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543?viewlocale=en_US

If it were all discs being rejected, I'd suggest it's your optical drive being dead, but since it's reading others.... I dunno. Clean the dvd?

This might sound like a stupid question, but did you make sure, you got the MAC version of the game? If so, then try cleaning the disc with a clean cloth in a circular motion. It just might be dirty. If that doesn't work, hope you saved your receipt, exchange it for another copy.

MAC version of the game is on the same DVD as PC version, Snow Leopard will just detect the MAC installation automatically

MAC version of the game is on the same DVD as PC version, Snow Leopard will just detect the MAC installation automatically

And beyond that, it should still be loading the PC version just fine. You just wouldn't be able to do much with it other than eject it, or poke around the folders.

Im not aware whether or not you can download the mac version from steam (should do!) but if you download steam and open up steam...click on activate game with game key (which you will find on the back of the user manual in the box) enter it and then the game will start downloading. Once downloading is complete, click on FM2010 and click sart game wait for the update to finish and enjoy!

I have this problem, macbook pro won't read dvd's. Takes them in, makes some weird noise then spits it out. It does, however, play FM09 and other software, its just DVD's that it won't take.

This is a common thing with macs apparently, you can take it back to the store and they'll fix it for you, assuming you're still under warranty. If you're not, like me, you could look into getting an external DVD drive? I've seen them around but don't know if you can get them for macs.

http://www.allcam.biz/products/usbdvd.html Check this out.

I've had this problem before. Its an issue with Apple not SI I'm afraid.

Basically if you ring apple they'll tell you its a hardware issue. It almost certainly isn't! If you have bootcamp set up try to run a Windows build and you'll notice its fine. your best bet is to try this :

# Shut down the computer.

# Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

# Turn on the computer.

# Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

# Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

# Release the keys

Make sure the disk is ejected first when doing this. Then wait around 5 minutes and insert the disk. 'Hopefully' it should fix it :)

cheers for the replies, guys.

i'd run back to the shop to swap the disk for a new one (a sega recommendation having rung their phone support line). their other recommendation was to create a new user account on the snow leopard install - no joy here either...

the new disk has exactly the same issue.

so i am back here... i have just tried the "resetting PRAM & NVRAM" steps from Rb, but on reboot, i still have the same issue.

unless there are other suggestions, the disk is being returned tomorrow for a full refund, and my management career will never take off!

Got mine working this morning, lasted about 8 hours cause I had nothing to do and refused to stop playing because I knew that if I stopped it could kick the disc out at any time.

Got to about an hour ago, shut the lid by mistake as I went for dinner and the mac reset. Wouldn't start up for about 5 mins till it spat the disc out. Flipping thing...

• 2 weeks later...

Have you solved this prob? I have the same prob when I was in the middle of play fm2009, then I thought it might my disc wasn't clean enough to play, until today I brought this new fm 2010. sadly, same problem......

I really hope that anyone could help me on this and I am pretty sure its not mac's prob, because I could install any other games perfectly...

Archived