Steam

You pay £29.99 for a game, then have the piece of software that delivered the game to you dictate to when you can play it according to whether you are online or not! Brilliant.

If the makers of Steam happen to read this, I couldn't give f**k about your crappy piece of software. It's FM2010 I want to play. I have NO interest in Steam at all.

All I want to do is be able to play the game I bought without Steam demanding to be updated or to connect to the internet.

Long train journey today, that I thought would be made bearable by a bit of Footy Manager, but Steam won't let me play the f**king game! Ridiculous.

I have tried all the old solutions, creating a FM shortcut from the Steamapps folder, or trying to tell Steam to allow me to play offline. Wouldn't work - didn't even offer me the option.

I've restarted my laptop, and tried EVERYTHING to get it to allow me to play offline but it won't.

SI - this is rubbish. Steam are giving you a bad rep with their delivery system. If people can't play the game they bought, they are not going to be happy.

I, for one, was absolutely furious this morning. What's the solution please, SI?

productive title
Can't understand why people don't keep their computers online. Unless you are on dial-up, which in that case you should get broadband asap, isn't it the same price being online all week or for 1 hour a day?

I've got 10meg broadband at home, thanks! I was on a train though, as Roberto said...

Did you buy the disc or download the game via steam? As it looks like we're stuck with this god forsaken steam software my advice would be to do what i did and buy the disc and choose the option to install it without steam. I've had no problems with mine at all after doing this. yes, it means i don't get the updates, but "whoopee dooo", you can download them from the website like us seasoned FM players always have done, and have no problems with playing it on the train etc.

I'll echo the sentiment that it steam be dropped for next year.

It does not matter. For someone to pay that much have every right to play whenever he wants be it online or offline, in the dark, in the nude while eating hot chocolate fondue.

To the OP, try contacting people from steam or get your money back if its possible.

"...in the nude while eating hot chocolate fondue."

Quality! ; )

no steam should not be drop just cuz some users have issuses with steam loads of users are fine with it. I have never had a problem with steam you had 2 options this year buy a cd or digital download those who chose digital download and cant get it working its not down to steam but your pcs

Did you buy the disc or download the game via steam? As it looks like we're stuck with this god forsaken steam software my advice would be to do what i did and buy the disc and choose the option to install it without steam. I've had no problems with mine at all after doing this. yes, it means i don't get the updates, but "whoopee dooo", you can download them from the website like us seasoned FM players always have done, and have no problems with playing it on the train etc.

I'll echo the sentiment that it steam be dropped for next year.

Steam works fine as a point of sale / delivery product. But once the product has been delivered I'd like it to just f**k off and leave me alone to play the game I bought in peace!

I don't care if it updates or not. I don't want adverts for other games. I don't want to have to be online to play. I don't care about Steam Online Communities.

I HATE intrusive programs like that. All I want is to play FM2010 when I want to and not be dictated to by a f**king computer programme!

Next time I'll go back to buying the disc...

Steam works fine as a point of sale / delivery product. But once the product has been delivered I'd like it to just f**k off and leave me alone to play the game I bought in peace!

I don't care if it updates or not. I don't want adverts for other games. I don't want to have to be online to play. I don't care about Steam Online Communities.

I HATE intrusive programs like that. All I want is to play FM2010 when I want to and not be dictated to by a f**king computer programme!

Next time I'll go back to buying the disc...

I seem to remember, with FM09, that you could get round the Steam issue by creating a new shortcut from the .exe file, but they've stopped you doing that so the user is forced to deal with Steam if they want to play the game. It's this kind of intrusion that I really despise!

You;d think that before you left the house you'd check it works

Yeah - that makes sense if you're the kind of person who keeps a copy of all your bank statements in a locked box at least 30 feet away from the originals in case of damage to either set!

I seem to remember, with FM09, that you could get round the Steam issue by creating a new shortcut from the .exe file, but they've stopped you doing that so the user is forced to deal with Steam if they want to play the game. It's this kind of intrusion that I really despise!

the reason that was changed was due to it had no DRM attached to it this year SI are using steam DRM

no steam should not be drop just cuz some users have issuses with steam loads of users are fine with it. I have never had a problem with steam you had 2 options this year buy a cd or digital download those who chose digital download and cant get it working its not down to steam but your pcs

If that was the case the offline mode would work properly, though, surely?? A piece of software with a bug (or many in this case) is not caused by the PC. It is fundamentally flawed (ref. the number of people complaining about it), and it has caused most people who had FM2009 to seriously consider offline installs this time round. Undoubtedly a properly working steam has its benefits, but the average PC user just wants to play a game he/she has bought, not jump through hoops changing settings, debugging this, formatting that etc etc!!

listen steam has been around since 2003 i have been a user of it since it first came out have never had 1 issue with it. The offline mode does work as i just tested it it comes up with a little box when you open steam saying do you want to go online or stay in offline mode

If that was the case the offline mode would work properly, though, surely?? A piece of software with a bug (or many in this case) is not caused by the PC. It is fundamentally flawed (ref. the number of people complaining about it), and it has caused most people who had FM2009 to seriously consider offline installs this time round. Undoubtedly a properly working steam has its benefits, but the average PC user just wants to play a game he/she has bought, not jump through hoops changing settings, debugging this, formatting that etc etc!!

"...the average PC user just wants to play a game he/she has bought, not jump through hoops changing settings, debugging this, formatting that etc etc"

Exactly! Why should I need to check anything to do with Steam? Why should that be necessary? I bought FM2010, not Steam.

"...the average PC user just wants to play a game he/she has bought, not jump through hoops changing settings, debugging this, formatting that etc etc"

Exactly! Why should I need to check anything to do with Steam? Why should that be necessary? I bought FM2010, not Steam.

Correction you brought a steam version of FM10 big difference. Use steam offline mode and it works fine

listen steam has been around since 2003 i have been a user of it since it first came out have never had 1 issue with it. The offline mode does work as i just tested it it comes up with a little box when you open steam saying do you want to go online or stay in offline mode

Well done you!! What do you want, a medal???

Listen yourself, have a look at the message boards around release date this year and last, and find numerous dislikers and dismayers, thats all i'm saying!

Also had this problem i found that turning my wireless off then reopen FM steam saids updating eventualy it boots into options just select offline mode, and then your FM loads and your back in sexual heaven.

"...and then your FM loads and your back in sexual heaven"

Listen, I know it's a pretty damn good game, boss, but 'sexual heaven'?!! : /

Well done you!! What do you want, a medal???

Listen yourself, have a look at the message boards around release date this year and last, and find numerous dislikers and dismayers, thats all i'm saying!

how many users do you think purchased with steam compared to the number of users complaining on here? i recon its probably around 5% if that. Most the users issuses on here with with steam was the direct x issuse whuch was not steams fault but SI's fault for including the wrong files

File-Go offline..restart steam in offline mode...start FM 2010, play the game

its not hard

i wont wait for the abuse

Listen fella. Just because YOU haven't had a problem, doesn't mean others haven't. I am a very technically-able CRM Database Project Manager. I understand IT.

When I tried to play this morning, I was given NO OPTION of any kind to switch to offline mode, no matter what solutions I tried.

I'm sure that now I am online again, I will be able to sort out the Steam settings so it works in future.

But my point, and that of others, is that you shouldn't have to spend time configuring bloody Steam to play the game you bought.

That is all.

Listen fella. Just because YOU haven't had a problem, doesn't mean others haven't. I am a very technically-able CRM Database Project Manager. I understand IT.

When I tried to play this morning, I was given NO OPTION of any kind to switch to offline mode, no matter what solutions I tried.

I'm sure that now I am online again, I will be able to sort out the Steam settings so it works in future.

But my point, and that of others, is that you shouldn't have to spend time configuring bloody Steam to play the game you bought.

That is all.

You have be online before you can set it to offline mode thats the only gripe i have with steam the program should give you the option when it cant connect to the server

That is all.

You understand IT but failed to grasp the concept of what the Steam platform is all about? Sorry but the way you are ranting and raving it sounds like Steam have tricked you into buying it, keeping you under the illusion that you could play it offline. Its a well known fact that games bought through Steam require an active internet connection, its how they get round the issue of piracy.

You have be online before you can set it to offline mode thats the only gripe i have with steam the program should give you the option when it cant connect to the server

That's the point. Unless you are someone (possibly like ms998! (sorry fella -just joking!)) who goes outside to start their car in the morning just to check that it starts, before going back inside to have breakfast because they don't actually need the car 'til later, then you aren't going to have clocked that you have to be online before you can change the setting.

It was very frustrating this morning. I was fully intending to spend some time persuading Kevin Nolan to become a defensive midfielder, but instead got to read a really uninspiring Virgin Trains magazine! : (

You understand IT but failed to grasp the concept of what the Steam platform is all about? Sorry but the way you are ranting and raving it sounds like Steam have tricked you into buying it, keeping you under the illusion that you could play it offline. Its a well known fact that games bought through Steam require an active internet connection, its how they get round the issue of piracy.

That's a truly pathetic response, lad. Of course I understand the 'concept' of Steam.

There should be a way to be able to change the setting to allow offline play when you ARE offline.

You should not need to be online to change that setting...

That is all.

That's a truly pathetic response, lad. Of course I understand the 'concept' of Steam.

There should be a way to be able to change the setting to allow offline play when you ARE offline.

You should not need to be online to change that setting...

Ok, so you understand the concept of steam and how you have to have an active internet connection. You then part with £29.99 to purchase the product through this service (when you could have bought a boxed version elsewhere), and now you're making a furious post about it on the forum?

I don't understand your point - you knew how Steam worked and still bought it from them, now you're blaming them?

Ok, so you understand the concept of steam and how you have to have an active internet connection. You then part with £29.99 to purchase the product through this service (when you could have bought a boxed version elsewhere), and now you're making a furious post about it on the forum?

I don't understand your point - you knew how Steam worked and still bought it from them, now you're blaming them?

POINT:

You should not need to be online to change that setting.

Clear?

POINT:

You should not need to be online to change that setting.

Clear?

Hows about this then:

You bought it from Steam knowing the limitations, so your point is null and void? Want to play it without an internet connection? Buy the boxed retail version then next time.

All your initial post does is rant rave and swear at Steam when you're the one thats at fault.

Archived