Are you struggling?

Yes, a little, it's brilliant.

I feared this getting dumbed down this year after last years cacophony of moaning because people couldn't romp the octuplet with no challenge whatsoever, but it remains quite gripping, especially when you ignore all the cheat tools, threads, spoilers, etc.

Not sure yet. I took an NY Redbulls side to a US Cup, NACL Cup and lost in the final of the World Champions 4-2 to Barca (beat Corinthians) after 4 years of building a squad. Than I left for Bradford Park Ave team midway through a season and was just able to save them from relegation (last day win).

The AI seems to shut down my tactic fairly quickly (20 games) and I'm off to a new one. I rely more than anything on signing better players than my league, thats how I won in the MLS and hopefully I can do it in BSN. Once I master tactics and shouts I suppose everything will be smooth sailing.

im actually really enjoying myself - but ill get the probs out of the way first - i was hoping that the team talks would have some new options and that you could give a a general team talk to all as well as individual (if you follow, not one or the other). Also, sometimes when i give individual instructions to opposing players it doesnt work and i ahve to get the game to start before issuing these orders i.e. tight marking, closing down.

i was also hoping the annoying pre and post match talks would be improved but they are just as poor as before offering too little options to make them worthwhile. On the plus side, i like the backroom advice and coach meetings you have to identify problems and new tactics/issues, and i am enjoying being able to have meetings when new players sign, but again this may wear off once i get used to the responses. Im also annoyed the view keeps changing on the squad screen, and hope a newer patch will address these faults.

Onto the team, i picked coventry as i unfortunately live here currently, and managed to do most of my signings via the free transfer: i got vieiri, glauber (missed out on smolarek, gutted!) van der meyde, skacel and paid for 525k for Buijs (name may be wrong from De Graaschaf) and 250k for Andreev, some uruguyan called carnocio (i think), davids, Barazite (awesome) and Heaton on loan, and a totally new coaching set up. So far after 8 games i am joint top 4-2-0 and through to 3rd round of league cup although our fitness lacks a little - still trying to ensure all my players are playing to the relevent position type in tactics as Vieiri is still settling in and not doing enough, but freddy eastwood is banging them in!!

im sure my views will change once i lose a few but having fun for now!

im struggling, im liverpool, made a few brill signings but cant find consistency, ill beat tottenham and man city then draw at home to stoke and west ham etc.

Just like Liverpool in the real world. I've gone Liverpool too, managed to win the league in the first season (it came down to the last game, chelsea drew and I won, 1 point in it). Knocked out the champs league in group stages and Euro Cup in the 2nd knockout round. Won the league cup and knocked out the FA cup.

Not a bad first season but I'm struggling in the 2nd season, board gave me like £4m so I had to sign youngsters for the future :/

im doing ok, i think so far its quite realistic wich is great.

im bored of managing in england all ive done in last few fms, so for now, im gonna spend fm10 managing worldwide untill im bored of that then head home.

so far seems to be doing the trick as i am hooked.

i was gold coast united finished 6th and play off runner up. then 1st and went out over two legs in the playoff semi (major final i think its called)

currently AC milan, doing ok, just scraped through in champs league group stages and into semi of italian cup im 2nd in the league end of jan but Inter have played 22 and not lost, im 9 points behind having played a game more i just cant stop them :( ...about right id say going on real life.

cant complain just like irl there teams the strongest in that league by a mile, gots some work to do me thinks.

gotta add Genoa look like a good challenge there thumping teams at home (me included) have a good little side, could be quite fun.

I'm struggling compared to the save i had in the demo but when in started again with alot more leagues it's not gone quite so well.

I'm playing as Barrow in the BSP and i'm estimated to finish 19th and am currently 13th i think. I've signed alot more players so i didn't expect great things at the start i've just reached December and i think and things are just about picking up. It's taking time for my team to gell but i expected this due to the large number of new players most of which are regular first team players.

I like having little or no transfer budget and enjoy trying to sign good free transfer players and building a team for the future. I can still remember taking Barrow in the BSN to League 1 in 5 seasons (4 promotions and 1 relegation). I also remember how i felt taking the club that was worth about £150k at the start of the game and making them a multi-million pound club and what it like selling my first player for over 1mil. I plan on emulating this in my current game even if it takes abit longer.

Neil

Just fnished my second season as AFC Wimbledon, would say I'm doing just about average. One place outside the play-offs in the first season and finished level on points at the top but 2nd on goal difference in my 2nd season, heartbreaking, then drew my play-off 1-1 away and was wolloped 3-0 at home, was nearly in tears, a third season in the conference now :(

I was struggling in lower leagues with Willenhall Town, 2.5 seasons so far, finnished mid table, saved from relegation on last day of season and my current season it took me 10 games to register a win, but now my team are flying. We have gone unbeaten in 9, and we are now just a few points from a palyoff place. :D

I think this improvement is by me simplifying my tactics, it seems at this low level of football the poorer players cant handle the more complicated new tactics, so I have switched to a pretty bastic 442 and we seem to be doing well.

I love this game best FM by far, i am addicted, to my girlfriends annoyance :p

Im doing okay but like some one has said above i score loads and concede loads finding it hard to get consistency. I had 1 and 3/4 seasons with Sunderland then Stuttgart offered me the job so i took it. Just in pre season now doing some wheeling and dealing.

Just need to find some tactics which are consistent.

I'm loving the new FM. Only gripe is the squad screen not displaying my pre saved selection information; hopefully a new path will fix this?!

I decided on something a little different this year and took over Notts County to be part of their "exciting project". 11 games into the first season and top by 8 points ahead of Torquay. 3rd round of Johnstones Paint Trophy, knocked out away to West Brom in the league cup (but we took the lead twice!). Now i'm looking forward to the FA Cup draw and the possibility of getting through to a premier league team!

Actually managed to keep Sol Campbell at the ground for more than a quick cup of tea, made him my captain and have only conceded 4 goals, scoring 22. Lee Hughes as my target man and Willy Topp (free signing on the back of witnessing a hat trick for the England triallists) have been sensational. The only other signings were loanees Jay Spearing from Liverpool (brilliant ball winner and passer), Ritchie De Laet (solid as right back and great crosser) from Man U and Ciaran Clark (decent, composed CD) from Villa. I'm excited everyday to get back into the game and keep the Notts County band wagon moving!

Struggling is an understatement, I'm easily experiencing my most challenging save with Man Utd of the last few years. Usually I'd always challenge for the title and get far in the CL. Not this time. I'm knocked out in the group stages losing to Marseille, Porto and even Rubin Kazan at Old Trafford. I'm drawing at home against the likes of Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton and struggle against just about every other team. I have a dreadful defensive record and I'm struggling to score goals despite creating numerous golden opportunities each match. Players like Ferdinand and Vidic can't tackle without getting booked, none of my wide players manage to make any sort of impact on my games other than winning corners which I can't score anyway, and my strikers aren't hitting the target from any range.

I don't think it's ruining my game or anything, but I am getting slightly desperate as it doesn't seem there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'm quickly running out of ideas. A challenge is fine, but I'm just not performing and the worst thing is I haven't got a clue how to turn it around. My games look great, I'm playing nice football and creating nice chances, dominating possession and all. But what can a manager do if his defenders are terrible at defending and his attackers terrible at scoring? I'm determined not to let all of this ruin my save, but the sad fact is this game can be extremely frustrating when you're not getting a break.

Just fnished my second season as AFC Wimbledon, would say I'm doing just about average. One place outside the play-offs in the first season and finished level on points at the top but 2nd on goal difference in my 2nd season, heartbreaking, then drew my play-off 1-1 away and was wolloped 3-0 at home, was nearly in tears, a third season in the conference now :(

I also took AFC Wimbledon. Finished 6th first season. Just missed playoffs. Second season got sacked by November after losing 5-0 to Walsall in the FA Cup 1st round proper :eek:

Started again. Even worse. Now in November of 1st season, in 18th and already getting job warnings. Bringing in a lot of new/young players really does unsettle the team and it takes them a quite a while to gel - during which time your confidence plummets...

I started of unemployed with a reputation of professional footballer. Got a job early in November with Shrewsbury Town, who werent doing too great. I successfully managed to get them relegated from the football league. But i didnt get sacked, and after signing 10 new players, 8 of them free agents from Celtic & Rangers and finding a formation and tactic i like, I am top of the Blue Square Premier (8 points clear) and in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Got sacked by Norwich in 1st season mid feb laying 9th in league. Had no consistency, I'd win 2 draw 1 then lose 3 on bounce. Got to dec and started changing tactics but still no joy. So just started a new save with notts county to try and get used to using more than 1 tactic

im struggling, im liverpool, made a few brill signings but cant find consistency, ill beat tottenham and man city then draw at home to stoke and west ham etc.

Yeah same here. I am 3rd in the league after 9 games won against the bigger teams like Tottenham and Arsenal so far but then i got beat 3-0 by Bolton and out of the League Cup got beat 1-0 in extra time from Wolves. Have no money to spend as the Liverpool bored gave me two million to spend on players signed a 16 year old Ivan from some La Liga team but i am enjoying the game so far.

1st season i finished 3rd with man city, managed to sign david silva and ribery.

now in 2nd season, struggling a tiny bit in 5th place. ribery has been great. cant get a formation where david silva shines. also adebayor is on one almighty slump. hasnt scored for about 20 games!

Ainu, I know exactly how you feel. I'm disappointed with this game. At a first glance it looks so much better than its predecessors, but after a few matches you discover all of its flaws. Football Manager is becoming far too tactical for my liking, definately not one for the casual gamer.

Struggling is an understatement, I'm easily experiencing my most challenging save with Man Utd of the last few years. Usually I'd always challenge for the title and get far in the CL. Not this time. I'm knocked out in the group stages losing to Marseille, Porto and even Rubin Kazan at Old Trafford. I'm drawing at home against the likes of Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton and struggle against just about every other team. I have a dreadful defensive record and I'm struggling to score goals despite creating numerous golden opportunities each match. Players like Ferdinand and Vidic can't tackle without getting booked, none of my wide players manage to make any sort of impact on my games other than winning corners which I can't score anyway, and my strikers aren't hitting the target from any range.

I don't think it's ruining my game or anything, but I am getting slightly desperate as it doesn't seem there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'm quickly running out of ideas. A challenge is fine, but I'm just not performing and the worst thing is I haven't got a clue how to turn it around. My games look great, I'm playing nice football and creating nice chances, dominating possession and all. But what can a manager do if his defenders are terrible at defending and his attackers terrible at scoring? I'm determined not to let all of this ruin my save, but the sad fact is this game can be extremely frustrating when you're not getting a break.

For you I would just recommend that you try different things out. Even though you play beautifully does not mean it is the most effective way your team can play. Look at United during Ronaldo's 42 goal season. Some games they seemed to have no flow or creativity, but still won the double. In 2006/2007 they played some truly attractive football, but only got to the semi-final of the Champions League getting thumped by Milan 3-0. Just thought of an even better example: Arsenal.

Also if I were you remember to work from the back. If you are leaking goals like crazy, fix that first.

I was struggling in lower leagues with Willenhall Town...

I think this improvement is by me simplifying my tactics, it seems at this low level of football the poorer players cant handle the more complicated new tactics, so I have switched to a pretty bastic 442 and we seem to be doing well.

I love this game best FM by far, i am addicted, to my girlfriends annoyance :p

I'm noticing a pattern here - lower league managers seem to be having a particularly tough time. I'm planning a 10-tier system with me starting in level 10. looks like a heck of a challenged I've lined up for myself. I'll take on board what you say about tactics - with low mental levels players can't cope with sophisticated ideas and don't have the physicality to execute my preferred tactics, so I'll have to be very flexible.

Please keep these posts flooding in - it's very interesting as I await delivery of my game.

I'm playing as PSG, and I'm pretty busy, so i haven't gotten past the 2nd game. The board gave me 1.5 million to spend..................with over 30 million in the balance. I'm displeased to spend so little at a "rich" team, especially since I have a decent amount of youngsters who needs pros to tutor them (Sahko, and a few under 18s). I like the game, but it's really hard to see what's my tactics, and what's just bad luck. Like goal keeper errors, penalties, amazing free kicks......it's all so confusing :)

I'm playing as Bath (as always), have restarted numerous times but am settling in now. Just played my first game of the season and draw 1-1 with .... (dammit, cant remember name). I'm finding it tough but I'm sure I'll have a handle on it soon. I'm finding it much much harder to not concede when I'm winning.....hence the 1-1. Though I did manage to beat River in a friendly 3-1!!!

first season as liverpool i was really struggling was 17th in the league and on a run of bad form i barely turned things around managed to scrape 6th in the league but won the champions league thats what saved my position there. i got several warnings that the next game would seal my fate if i lost during the course of the first season but the second i did a little better. won the league cup lost on penaltys to arsenal in the CL semis and got 4th in the league currently im in the 3rd season still in the champions league lost out of the league cup after a penalty shoot out with tottenham still in the F.A cup and a chance to go top of the league if i win my game in hand.

Had a poor start with Arsenal - got knocked out in the CL qualifying stage by Celtic. Found my feet though, got van der Vaart on loan from R Madrid and now I'm 3rd in the league, 4 points behind Man Utd and 9 points ahead of Man City. Birmingham have 0 wins in 27 games. Ouch.

Enjoying the game. Took on Everton (as usual). Had a disastrous start to the season where I just couldn't win a domestic game. Was beating all before me in the Europa League, but was sitting bottom of the league! Got it together after about 6 games and am now up to 8th in the league. Only had 4.3mil to spend so spent it on squad players a LC defender and a Mid/Def L. My best signing was Vaclav Kadlec from Sparta Prague for 1.5mil. He is just banging the goals in, and he's only 18 so the future looks bright! Have won my group in Europa League with a game to spare, and am in semi-final of League Cup.

Once I got my tactics right it all seemed to come good. I always take stock of my team meetings and assistant advice on opposition marking, which usually seems to work!

I've continued my Barrow save abit more and am now in February i think.

I'm struggling more than i was but i've changed my tactics and formation and things have picked up. I'm only in 17th place which isn't good but am still 13 (i think it's 13 anyway) points above the drop zone. I've only for 16 games to go so i think i'm safe from relegation and i was estimated to finish in 19th.

I said things were looking up and in my last 4 games i think i've got about 7 points including a 2-0 victory over Luton are top of the league. Thats the result that i think means i've turned the corner in how i'm doing. I think i'm safe from the drop and am already looking at my 2nd season and planning new signings.

Neil

Started off with Southampton after an enjoyable demo game. Finished 5th in my first season, losing to Oldham in the play-off semi final. Made a few signings during the summer (mostly freebies) and am sitting 2nd after 8 games of the season.

After struggling to get into a long term save on 2009, I can see myself getting more addicted than ever on 2010. Well done SI.

So far as Solihull manager in my first season, (just got to January), I'm second in the BSN with some great signings who are really making their mark. Scouring the globe yourself and trialing players is invaluable!

Loving FM10 so far. Played for just short of 24 hours now to get this far, looking forward to the weekend to try and get the season complete!

Enjoying the game. Took on Everton (as usual). Had a disastrous start to the season where I just couldn't win a domestic game. Was beating all before me in the Europa League, but was sitting bottom of the league! Got it together after about 6 games and am now up to 8th in the league. Only had 4.3mil to spend so spent it on squad players a LC defender and a Mid/Def L. My best signing was Vaclav Kadlec from Sparta Prague for 1.5mil. He is just banging the goals in, and he's only 18 so the future looks bright! Have won my group in Europa League with a game to spare, and am in semi-final of League Cup.

Once I got my tactics right it all seemed to come good. I always take stock of my team meetings and assistant advice on opposition marking, which usually seems to work!

I also signed Kadlec for Chelsea. Butch told me to bring in a striker and reduce the age of the squad, by the first xmas he was a regular first teamer and we're looking set to manage without the Drog in the african nations purely because of him.

I'm loving the options to set different roles (e.g full back or wing back)- this gives you so many more options to play a narrow formation.

Currently lying 3rd after a truly awful start where i didn't win any of the first 5, but tweaked to a 4-diamond-2. Even Deco seems to want to play! :)

Best signing Marek Hamsik- at £18m no good for most of the game start transfer budgets, but decent none the less.

Archived