FM getting too tactical.

I cant seem to do well no matter what I do. I leak goals galore! losing 3-0.

FM seems to be getting too tactical for my liking I dont want to spend my life tweaking my tactics, for me it ruins the fun. I have a life, and dont want to spend every minute tweaking tactics to stop leaking goals. Im losing to teams that are on paper 3 times worst than me.

Im not having fun with this FM. I frustrated and dont know what to do :confused:

People we no doubt come on and say im obviously not good or rubbish at FM10 well maybe i a but im not sad enough to spend hours tweaking tactics. I dont want to upload super tactics which some one has developed whats the point ruins the game, not me winning its the guy who developed the tactics. I dont really know where this rant is going just so frustrated with FM10.

Im going back to FM 09 me thinks

I have stuck with the same tactics done 3 seasons kept faith with 4-4-2 and used others, but havent tweaked that much at all, and now have tweaked the sliders and stuff but what ever i try i leak goals! so many goals, and just cant be bothered anymore, not finding the game fun anymore. I dont want to have to spend all my time tweaking stuff.

:(

My grief is that if you're playing away from home against a team of roughly similar quality to yourselves, if they go one up you might as well surrender as it's almost impossible to create chances against them, let alone score. The AI is (and was in FM09) just way too good at sitting back and hitting you on the break.

varied home or away didnt seem to have any effect, I just seem to either lose 3-0 or win 3-0, and i was using the 4-4-2 setup always set when i started game didnt change nothing.

I dont want to have to load up some super tactic some one has made.

Defenders just dont seem to defend.

:(

I feel somewhat similar. I like developing a tactic with the new creator, but once I've set it up to suit the players I have, I would kind of hope it would do reasonably well. I don't want a tactic that makes it easy, I just want a tactic that will win games if I have the better team, and the better team talk/other factors. The most rewarding FM save I've ever had was when I set up a simple home and away 4-4-2, and then I just built my team and training. As my team got better, my results got better, until I had built a team (fulham) who were capable of winning the league.

Now, on FM10, It seems that constant fiddling and tweaking is needed, in a number of areas. I don't mind touchline shouts, and changing formation every so often, or even using a set of tactics to match the game. However, I do mind it when my tactic suddenly becomes obsolete, or I have to spend 15 minutes every match watching extended highlights and reading match analysis. I still enjoy the game, and the new tactics creator is fantastic, but I still think that, in order to be successful in this game, you have to spend a great deal of time tweaking and fiddling, which isn't that fun for me.

Simple 4-4-2 with West Ham with left winger got free roam to cut in and a deep lying st and a target man st im currently 5th after 12 games with wins over man u , arse away , man city away and liverpool. Alot easier then previous versions :)

I feel somewhat similar. I like developing a tactic with the new creator, but once I've set it up to suit the players I have, I would kind of hope it would do reasonably well. I don't want a tactic that makes it easy, I just want a tactic that will win games if I have the better team, and the better team talk/other factors. The most rewarding FM save I've ever had was when I set up a simple home and away 4-4-2, and then I just built my team and training. As my team got better, my results got better, until I had built a team (fulham) who were capable of winning the league.

Now, on FM10, It seems that constant fiddling and tweaking is needed, in a number of areas. I don't mind touchline shouts, and changing formation every so often, or even using a set of tactics to match the game. However, I do mind it when my tactic suddenly becomes obsolete, or I have to spend 15 minutes every match watching extended highlights and reading match analysis. I still enjoy the game, and the new tactics creator is fantastic, but I still think that, in order to be successful in this game, you have to spend a great deal of time tweaking and fiddling, which isn't that fun for me.

Spot on how you described in your first paragraph is how i like to play the game, on FM09 i played as Wigan, 17 seasons and slowly built a team, ended up winning league 3 times, fa cup 5, uefa cup 5 and league cup 4, champions league 1. But i didnt have to constantly change my tactics, i do love the new tactic creator, the whole choosing defend/support/attack and then the different roles they can play in certain postions eg, defensive attacker/poacher etc, brillant feature but thats all i kind of want to do choose one of defend/support/attack and then there role, i dont want to have to tweak anything else. dont want to spend time tweaking lots of things

I thonk sometimes when yougo a goal down you want to go attacking to get one back when sometimes its better to stick it out. My first game I went 1-0 down to blackburn but held firm and one 3-1. i was really tempted to adjust attacks and press for the equaliser when where sanity kicks in you are just as likely to go 2 down

I am a lazy gamer that hates tweaking tactics :)

OP , i am sure that you will find something that works , just experiment a bit , play players in their positions and watch the 3d game , you will be able to spot what is wrong only by watching your players in the field .

I'm very much in the same camp as a few on here who try to build a tactic roughly based on the players and allow time to develop as a club and push on.

If you're concerned you're conceding too many start, like I do, at the back and build from there. I always play with 4 at the back and a defensive midfielder. This stems the flow of goals, then it's just a case of getting your attacking players working and once that's solved you're laughing.

Honestly, I don't think real world football is that complicated, its more to do with motivation/man management etc.

In FM I honestly feel there is just way too many variables to get things right.

It is fun, but yeh, things go very badly very quickly if you don't play right.

One thing that annoys me.

I had a wonderful pre-season beating lots of EPL sides, and I start the season, I lose 3-2 to a team with 9 men who scored when they had 9 men and I did play a controlling game at the time too.

It's like there is no real point to try any tactic in friendlies as it matters next to nothing, while in real life you do get a fair idea of what approach you will have towards the official games.

What's the point in playing a manager game if you dont like to tweak tactics? Just doesnt make sense.

Gamers nowadays are too lazy

I don't see that. What he's getting at is he doesn't want to have to be constantly racking his brains to pick up an ok result, this isn't about just winning.

In response to what you've said, gamers nowadays are too lazy? What planet are you on? It's recreation! Who are you to tell him how he should be enjoying FM? This is the kind of thing i see on these forums after the last 3 or 4 releases, that it's become too in-depth, or too much time. I think that after a bit of bedding in, when the patches are rolling out and the bugs are being fixed, hopefully you'll see more of what the game is intended to be and use it to your own liking? Not everyone plays the same!

styluz 5: I must say I find your view very confusing.

1.You're not having success with your own tactics but you know others have success with theirs.

2.You don't want to use their tactics because then it's not your decisions that achieve success.

3.You seem to want FM to lower it's challenge in order for you to achieve success with faulty tactics - but how is this any different from point 2?

Again, it wouldn't be your decisions that achieved success. What you would, in fact, be left with is a game where any decision/tactic, no matter how bad, would have zero effect on your teams performance.

I'm not having a go, I just think you need to sit back for a moment and think about what it is you want from this game because the ideas you outline in your opening post seem entirely contradictory.

People we no doubt come on and say im obviously not good or rubbish at FM10 well maybe i a but im not sad enough to spend hours tweaking tactics.I dont really know where this rant is going just so frustrated with FM10.

The funny thing is that FM10 has the tactic creator that should help you and should avoid spending times on tactics.

The funnier thing is that FM09 doesn't have this thing.

its funny when people complain about "spending hours tweaking tactics" or "dont have enough time to make them". theres a create tactic feature, and it's laid out on a plate for you to create how you want the team to play, and it takes less than 5 minutes to create one, so theres no excuse really.

I cant seem to do well no matter what I do. I leak goals galore! losing 3-0.

FM seems to be getting too tactical for my liking I dont want to spend my life tweaking my tactics, for me it ruins the fun. I have a life, and dont want to spend every minute tweaking tactics to stop leaking goals. Im losing to teams that are on paper 3 times worst than me.

Im not having fun with this FM. I frustrated and dont know what to do :confused:

People we no doubt come on and say im obviously not good or rubbish at FM10 well maybe i a but im not sad enough to spend hours tweaking tactics. I dont want to upload super tactics which some one has developed whats the point ruins the game, not me winning its the guy who developed the tactics. I dont really know where this rant is going just so frustrated with FM10.

According to my assistant almost every team struggles against 4-5-1 & according to him even my team does.

So maybe thats something to start with.

I have to say I use a set formation & keep all my settings the for every game & then tweak within first ten mins if neccessary!!!

You pick the formation that fits your squad, and then your desired style of play.

If leaking, try pressing more and counter attacking to stiffen your defensive measures.

THen simply assign roles based on your players attributes and desired roles.

It's really quite easy, but that doesn't mean you get to win every game.

Tweak, tweak, tweak...why? It's not needed. There is contradictory advise from people throughout this thread. Saying stick to your tactics and then tweak them during games. Tweaking is changing your tactics. I have found the following. CPU teams counter attack too efficiently. CPU teams score too often from deadball situations. I also have a major gripe about the effects of being "full time" not being realistic enough. If I have a full time squad in a part time league the effect would be huge. Players training together, daily, full time compared to everyone else only two nights a week (for example) would leave my team fitter, tactically honed and well drilled (set pieces etc). This doesn't seem to be the case. Training is too mechanical in that it simply focuses on individuals stats, whereas training together, often, would also increase team gelling and familiarity with tactics. Please don't say increase the tactics tarining bar because all that does is focus on certain attributes for individuals. Simialrly set pieces just focuses on set piece attributes and not (as would be the case) team drills to improve defending or attacking set plays. Simply, I think the tactics are too pernickety now and the training model is outdated and needs revamping to include "team" activity.

You really don't need to spend much time tweaking tactics at all. The tactics wizard will, providing you use the right roles for the right players, create a very solid tactic that will need only minimal tweaking. The key though, is to spend a little bit of time identifying what's causing the problem and then only tweaking what's necessary.

For example, in my game, I found that I was leaking too many goals, whilst away from home, my wingers were having little impact. After having a quick look through the goals I was conceding, I noticed my fullbacks were getting caught too far up field, so I changed their role so they would take less risks, whilst there was also too big a gap between my defence and midfield that was being exploited, so I simply dropped by ball winning midfielders mentality so that he would sit deeper when we lost possesion and leave less space.

As for my wingers, I simply changed their role from wide midfielder to wingers and now they are causing much more damage on my travels then they were before.

If your not prepared to spend just a little bit of time identifying where your tactics are flawed though, you can tweak all you like, but you will never get results.

You really don't need to spend much time tweaking tactics at all. The tactics wizard will, providing you use the right roles for the right players, create a very solid tactic that will need only minimal tweaking. The key though, is to spend a little bit of time identifying what's causing the problem and then only tweaking what's necessary.

For example, in my game, I found that I was leaking too many goals, whilst away from home, my wingers were having little impact. After having a quick look through the goals I was conceding, I noticed my fullbacks were getting caught too far up field, so I changed their role so they would take less risks, whilst there was also too big a gap between my defence and midfield that was being exploited, so I simply dropped by ball winning midfielders mentality so that he would sit deeper when we lost possesion and leave less space.

As for my wingers, I simply changed their role from wide midfielder to wingers and now they are causing much more damage on my travels then they were before.

If your not prepared to spend just a little bit of time identifying where your tactics are flawed though, you can tweak all you like, but you will never get results.

Uh your missing the point. That is exactly what I am on about!

Well said. Can´t agree more.

CPU teams score too often from deadball situations.

How often is too often for reality?

"According to Opta stats, as many as 42% of all the Premier League goals registered this season have originated from a dead ball"

http://www.u.tv/Sport/The-Question-why-are-so-many-Premier-League-goals-scored-from-set-pieces/f905901d-2374-4d28-8a1e-7421ee39db8a

simple advice to you would be, choose a tactic to suite your team...example dont have a tactic wich requires hard work such as closing down always, overlapping, box to box, etc when your players work rate is a 8

adjusting my players individually (which dident take long) seemed to make a big difference.

another simple tip would be simple tactics for simple teams, classy tactics and roles for classy teams and players

example keep it simple if your managing a grimsby town, dont ask a att mid to play a tarsquita role simply have him as attacking midfielder.

also take your team talks.

theres my advice .,.... now,

you say you dont have time to get the tactic right etc, but it is as people have said above easier than ever.

and even if you took 2 hours, its gotta be better being able to play it and enjoy it rather than having the experiance your currently having.

you say you have a life, yet your spending time on a forum moaning about it, face it your as hooked as the rest of us :D

I have to agree, tactics seem to become more and more important in FM every year. I'm at the point now that I believe you can win any game against any team in the same division as you no matter how superior there players simply by getting your tactics perfect. The flip side to that is if your tactics are not set right to suit the opposition you can also lose any match no matter how superior your players are.

One example would be my Man game. Currently 4th in the table and doing ok but no where near as well as expected. Played at home game against Hull who are bottom of the table and i am huge favourites to win. I stick to my standard 442 formation fluid and control settings. I totally unexpectedly lose the game 0-3 after having 62% posesion and 22 attempts at goal, frustrated and annoyed not being able to understand why I got beat so much I replay the match using same settings, players and team talk, this time its me who wins 3-0. throws hands in the air in dispair , why the large diffrence in score line using same settings and tactics? This sort of randomness is not a one off and happens quite regular.

Of course there must be a flaw in my tactics against a team like Hull maybe more attacking in first game would have guaranteed a result its difficult to know. Surley though any weaknees or flaw in my pretty basic creator made 442 tactic should be negligible by the fact my players are far superior to the opposistion.

Archived