PDA

View Full Version : Poll: FM 2008, playable or not?

MuzGB70
14-12-2007, 00:44
Dear readers, many people have expressed their opinion as to the playability, or not, of the current version of FM 2008. While I have expressed my own opinions to this matter, I am fully prepared to admit that I may be part of a minority.

In order to judge the opinion of the populace of these forums, please reply to this post stating either "playable" or "not playable" followed by your version of the game.

Please, do not flame, whine or post off topic in this thread. Thank you.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant as any dig or whine at SI for FM 2008. This is a community, and I am merely trying to judge the feeling of the community.

MuzGB70
14-12-2007, 00:44
Dear readers, many people have expressed their opinion as to the playability, or not, of the current version of FM 2008. While I have expressed my own opinions to this matter, I am fully prepared to admit that I may be part of a minority.

In order to judge the opinion of the populace of these forums, please reply to this post stating either "playable" or "not playable" followed by your version of the game.

Please, do not flame, whine or post off topic in this thread. Thank you.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant as any dig or whine at SI for FM 2008. This is a community, and I am merely trying to judge the feeling of the community.

Roscoe9
14-12-2007, 00:46
Playable!

Themistofelis
14-12-2007, 00:47
playable but boring and annoying

stumostro
14-12-2007, 00:54
Playable, it loads up, it works therefore is playable.

Stewartbrock7
14-12-2007, 01:06
Best FM YET

Lyvean
14-12-2007, 01:16
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stumostro:
Playable, it loads up, it works therefore is playable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am at awe at your infinite wisdom.

Lyvean
14-12-2007, 01:17
There is no need for such polls. Anyone in their right minds will tell you that the game is not working as intended and has major bugs in almost every category.

You can, of course, close your eyes and don't give a damn. Which is what SI really wants.

The_Anecdotalist
14-12-2007, 01:17
playable and enjoyable.

not the best FM though.

Kriss
14-12-2007, 01:19
It's the wrong question to ask because as you can already see there isn't a yes/no answer.

Jam Man
14-12-2007, 01:21
Yes its playable.

Drunk Beware
14-12-2007, 01:21
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">many people have expressed their opinion as to the playability, or not, of the current version of FM 2008. While I have expressed my own opinions to this matter, I am fully prepared to admit that I may be part of a minority.

In order to judge the </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Easily playable, best FM so far!

Ollieonly1
14-12-2007, 01:22
Unplayable. Particularly in lower leagues. Age-old defence problems etc...

Running v8.0.1 latest. These bugs werent present in 2007 or 2006. Im praying for improvements in 8.0.2

vinneyboy
14-12-2007, 01:23
playable

opul
14-12-2007, 01:26
playable

at least in UK leagues

millwallrules
14-12-2007, 01:31
It is good and all but I'm not enjoying as much as past FM's and am struggling heavily to get into a game

Wegason
14-12-2007, 01:34
Unplayable.

I'm only doing an AI Experiment because the game has too many flaws and bugs for me to consider starting a 'career' game which I will play for months on end.

gerry58
14-12-2007, 02:42
Playable but boring after awhile because totally unrealistic.

Pangaea
14-12-2007, 02:44
Of course it's playable. Get your arse out of your head. Or something like it http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

robin_trott_hoof
14-12-2007, 02:51
It's not really that simple. Issues that might ruin the game for some might go be irrelevant for others and vice versa.

New_Xieland
14-12-2007, 03:02
Its definitely playable... but is it fun?

I must confess that FM 08 has been a frustrating experience for me, namely because of the buggy match engine - first with the closing down bug and now the 30+ shots bug.

I loved FM 07 and couldn't get away from it, a thoroughly addictive experience. With 08 however it's far from that.

I must confess that it's the first time that I have felt compelled to set the FM Series aside and give the likes of Fifa Manager and Championship Manager 08 a go.

PS. Getting Fifa Manager this weekend - will report back on it in the near future.

Passer-by
14-12-2007, 03:04
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by New_Xieland:

I must confess that FM 08 has been a frustrating experience for me, namely because of the buggy match engine - first with the closing down bug and now the 30+ shots bug.

I loved FM 07 and couldn't get away from it, a thoroughly addictive experience. With 08 however it's far from that.

I must confess that it's the first time that I have felt compelled to set the FM Series aside and give the likes of Fifa Manager and Championship Manager 08 a go.

PS. Getting Fifa Manager this weekend - will report back on it in the near future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting it too. Less of boring and more of variation.

Pugs12
14-12-2007, 03:08
playable, but most annoying

sitwi
14-12-2007, 03:11
UNplayable. It's bug ridden, therefore I won't play it.

It was potentially the best yet, but at least until the next patch, they've blown it with a rushed release.

berggren75
14-12-2007, 03:13
NOT playable. Just look at the registration bug which is blatantly being ignored by SI.

Read the Bugs forum and you'll see a thread about it. It's constantly near the top of the forum.

sylane93
14-12-2007, 03:14
the best

acidmonkey
14-12-2007, 03:15
Playable easily and im enjoying it but meh because i think its playable im obviously a fan boy because i disagree with say 1% of the users on here http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Mitja
14-12-2007, 03:19
unplayable on official patch

Tal_Hides
14-12-2007, 03:19
Playable! Every patch has been playable.

It drives you mad, it makes you tear your hair out and is probably sending us all to an early grave through stress, but no matter how annoying some of the bugs or issues are, I always go back for more!

chopper99
14-12-2007, 03:20
For me it's completely playable, mainly because I'm personally yet to encounter a single major issue.

That doesn't mean it's playable for everone, but it definitely is for me.

Using 8.0.1 by the way.

eXistenZ
14-12-2007, 03:39
Unplayable. it is waiting on the official patch. And they better hurry on it.

Access
14-12-2007, 03:43
playable

Jimbokav1971
14-12-2007, 03:46
FM08 (out of box) unplayable.

FM08 (post beta patch) unplayable.

FM08 (post 8.01 patch) playable.

SSGTroyer
14-12-2007, 03:55
Of course it's playable.

A lot of people aren't enjoying it, though, and they seem to be saying it's unplayable. But unless it's crashing on you on a regular basis, it's playable.

I understand it's crashing on a regular basis for a few people ...

Mitja
14-12-2007, 04:31
also unplayable for those who want to play spanish leagues. (registration)

I'm curious with people that find 801 palyable. is it playable when you need to adapt your tactics (slow, defensive, long shots to rarely and all that crap)? I realy did't find playable/enjoyable when shootin 30 times and not scoring. but it was probably my tactics...

CROAT
14-12-2007, 04:47
On the sliders everything above 15 is useless, Even players like ronaldinho,silva etc. cant be played with CF above 15-16. I cant remember last goal from distance,every time my players shoot its like baloons to the keeper. And why is Henry so bad ,he scored a couple of goals ,on the other hand Aguero is a beast ( Speed ). It looks that extremes are what you need to have affect ( speed 18-20,finishing 18-20,header 18-20 ) and not balanced players that are good at all but not bril. The game is great but it needs some work. Playable but not so fun.

JR866Gunner
14-12-2007, 04:49
most definatly playable and still addictive, im supposed to be decorating my new house all weekend bt all i can think about is FM how sad is that??

Neville_Roach
14-12-2007, 04:56
Not sure of the definition of playable, i am playing it (less than normal) and struggling to enjoy it as much as normal.

Where does that put me?

Blight 00
14-12-2007, 05:00
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollieonly1:
Unplayable. Particularly in lower leagues. Age-old defence problems etc...

Running v8.0.1 latest. These bugs werent present in 2007 or 2006. Im praying for improvements in 8.0.2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

postal postie
14-12-2007, 05:00
playable and loving it.

KingKenny
14-12-2007, 05:01
The question should really be "Is it enjoyable?"

I personally am not enjoying it anywhere near the levels I have enjoyed every other version. Mainly I think it's to do with the 1-on-1 shooting bug. I know my player will just whack it straight at the goalie so the excitement is gone, there's no anticipation or thrill when a player is put through.

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 05:04
Playable as obviously it loads up etc (except for those who want to play spanish leagues and with crash dumps etc) However IMO it's an awful game, as people have said bugs in too many major areas, first FM/CM that I haven't been riveted to, I haven't even played it since starting my first few matches on 8.0.1. Have never seen this many complaints over an SI game which is a huge dissapointment, becuase they are ususally the excellent.

I've said it before but in 08 there's to many good ideas with awful execution, and they've even managed to mess up some things that were completely solid in 07 (not perfect, but solid)

There's also too many gimmicky features, like matchflow: decent idea, but was it really nessacary(sp) especially when there's other fundamental flaws that need to be fixed?

To claim some of these things a key features such an fan days is ridiculous.

I could understand these bugs if there was a major, innovative newly implemented feature such as the visual engine im CM 4, but when there's been nothing major implemented, it's terrible.

Some people claiming the game needs a complete revamp are wrong IMO, I just want the basic foundations of a managerial game working right.

As for those enjoying the game fair play to you all, just wish I could enjoy my favourite computer game series http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 05:05
*are key features

George Graham
14-12-2007, 05:06
Playable- but currently too frustrating to really get into.

Great time for it to be like that though- more time for Crysis, CoD4, UT3 and Supreme Commander:FA

Dalglish
14-12-2007, 05:09
Playable and very enjoyable.

merkezekrem
14-12-2007, 05:18
Playable for 1 match a day, 2 days a week.

It might be because I am getting old http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

GrillMonkey
14-12-2007, 05:24
Playable

The Eagle
14-12-2007, 05:25
After 8.01 it is not enjoyable at all. The shoot ratio problem+ 1v1 is big problems. I also pray for 8.02

james_33
14-12-2007, 05:33
Playable

Playing it and loving it

had the one-on-ones issue but half way through season 2 it sorted itself out? Now score more than miss from one-on-ones

Smiler
14-12-2007, 05:46
Playable, the best FM yet if your any good at it http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

1gr8gamer
14-12-2007, 05:58
It's playable but with all the bugs it's not enjoyable.

Worst FM to date.

CBLi
14-12-2007, 05:59
Playable

and a love it http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

blz80
14-12-2007, 06:14
Unplayable for me

Spanish registration bug

MaCeR
14-12-2007, 06:17
Playable, and much more challenging than the previous incarnations!

Lexfabio
14-12-2007, 06:23
Unplayable absolutely. A disgust with all crash dumps.

The worst ever.

Passer-by
14-12-2007, 06:28
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lexfabio:

The worst ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We need to define the term playable.

Playable, means that you can run it, it works.

Mitja
14-12-2007, 06:29
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Passer-by:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lexfabio:

blablabla

Playable, means that you can run it, it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 06:33
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Passer-by:

For those who have the crash dump problem the game has limited playability - play upto a certain date and then you can't play anymore, so while it may be playable for a month or so (in game) after that it becomes unplayable.

neil220779
14-12-2007, 06:37
I think we all know what is meant here by "playable" http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

It is playable, but probably the most flawed of the FM series.

Still enjoying enough to play 2 online games and have a game of my own running though.

Barnzy
14-12-2007, 06:40
Playable - I refuse to play it in its current state though.

javier_83
14-12-2007, 06:43
its for sure playable

Mitja
14-12-2007, 06:47

say that to those who want to play spanish leagues.

AcesHigh
14-12-2007, 06:49
Playable yes, enjoyable no, well not for me anyway, especially with the match engine in its current state and especially if you play with extended highlights and enjoy an accurate representation of football.

Passer-by
14-12-2007, 06:52
I played the Spanish league and I still am, it's still my main game. Sure, the registration bug has ****ed me up a lot of times including an 8-0 lost to Sevilla, but I still play on. I don't care, I still play.

schuey100
14-12-2007, 06:53
Playable but boring and annoying. Flawed, sloppy programming certainly does not live up to the marketing hype.

George Graham
14-12-2007, 06:57
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by schuey100:
Playable but boring and annoying. Flawed, sloppy programming certainly does not live up to the marketing hype. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sloppy programming? Hardly, considering FM08 runs like lightning its anything but.

TOYA.

Liamoville
14-12-2007, 06:58
Ok so i've read a few people saying its unplayable on the patch.

I was just about to get the patch because when i click 'Check for Updates' on the game it says it cannot find it at the present time, please check back later.

Should i not get the patch then?

Mitja
14-12-2007, 06:59
I played the Spanish league and I still am, it's still my main game. Sure, the registration bug has ****ed me up a lot of times including an 8-0 lost to Sevilla, but I still play on. I don't care, I still play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

looks like you are very determined http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

the question is, would you buy it if you knew, and should we accept such things. I only wish that in few years FM will have some competition, couse it looks like that's the only way for this game to improve.

SI introduced many new (stupid) features like match day experience, facegen, confidence.....instead of improving those which haven't changed for years/ need improvement (team talks, media, player interaction, training, tactics, commentary).

as the resoult we have plenty of features which are half-done or don't work at all.

Mitja
14-12-2007, 07:01
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liamoville:
Ok so i've read a few people saying its unplayable on the patch.

I was just about to get the patch because when i click 'Check for Updates' on the game it says it cannot find it at the present time, please check back later.

Should i not get the patch then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

download first beta patch.

here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/72540417/fm2008_801_beta1patch.exe

CROAT
14-12-2007, 07:15
To Mitja : can i install this beta patch over the 8.0.1 patch and resume with my game ?

Mitja
14-12-2007, 07:20
just reinastall FM, patch it with beta, your saved games are still there, continue playing...

Gundo
14-12-2007, 07:23
Yes it's playable for sure. http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

Charliewright
14-12-2007, 07:32
It is quite obviously playable because if it wasn't, there would be no people on here saying they think it is unplayable because if they truelly thought it was ubplayable they would have given up months ago

towerofpower
14-12-2007, 07:38
Playable as in enjoyable for me. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Johnnyyen
14-12-2007, 07:44
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ch it with be </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me tell you something. I like winning. To win I cheat a little. I use fm scout for bargains and i download tactics, since i really don't have patience for the trial and error of making a tactic.

For five, six years i do it, and i enjoy it. I don't mean winning it all with a team that should be relegated, but winning the champions league with fiorentina after three years or transforming tottenham in a top 4 side.

This version of fm so isn't being very pleasent for me. No tactic seems to work well. When i'm with a small team, i can win from man utd but cant get a draw with derby, when i'm with a good team my strikers play like crap and five or six games per season I lose in the final minutes with the opposition with one goal and one shot on goal.

But i realise that maybe fm is not for me anymore. I'm not gonna criticise SI for making a very good simulation just because i can't win when i'm always critising other companys for making arcadish sports games.

I aim for a middle term where realism goes with fun, you cant win with wigan in the first season, but maybe in three years or so of good signings you can compete... Actually, you can do it in fm right now, but it just demands the kind of micromanagement that i dont have patience to do.

So, maybe realism, in the level that Fm reflects now, just frustrates. I gues IRL managers gets frustrated all of the time, but they don't hav that quit bottom. The one i'm starting to use morre frequently now.

Oggy73
14-12-2007, 07:53
Playable, and quite fun. But less fun, less smooth, and slower than fm2007, which I've gone back to.

hilly_boro
14-12-2007, 08:05
Playable ! http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

shay33
14-12-2007, 08:12
Not. Ive been playing since 93 and this is easily the worst experience. I thought it was just me getting older and growing out of it but reading other peoples comments is quite reasuring. I dont want the game to be too easy but this is impossible.

oldsoldier reincarnated
14-12-2007, 08:15
Playable, but not worth playing. Unenjoyable, unrealistic, boring and bug ridden. Other than that it meets all the hype http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Joshlee
14-12-2007, 08:23
Unplayable

the regen bug blocking me to play a long term game

Blue Flag
14-12-2007, 08:29
Unplayable - but FM07.02 is so brilliant I'm happy having returned to that.

UELLfan
14-12-2007, 08:32
Unless it starts crashing on me or I bump into a registration problem it's quite playable.

I actually never got further than season 3 into 07, but have already played 10 seasons in two saves in 08. One of them in Spain, BTW.

bridport_pouncer
14-12-2007, 08:32
Playable? Very much so.

Enjoyable? Not so much as FM2007 or 06 etc. I have not got into a long group of seasons yet, I just cant get into it right now.

Though this is probably just me!

So yeah Playable.

Jimbokav1971
14-12-2007, 08:33
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Flag:
Unplayable - but FM07.02 is so brilliant I'm happy having returned to that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes you realise quite what a stupendous game 7.02 is http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif.

cudman
14-12-2007, 08:39
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Flag:
Unplayable - but FM07.02 is so brilliant I'm happy having returned to that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
im not bothered with 08 so im still playing an unpatched 07. does it improve much on the game?

Jimbokav1971
14-12-2007, 08:48
God yes.

The FM07 patches were excellent http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif.

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 08:52
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:
God yes.

The FM07 patches were excellent http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They certainly were!

14-12-2007, 08:59
To me it seems that if a question like this needs to be asked or gets asked, then there is something seriously wrong with the game. Right?

I mean, a game is meant to be playable. It only exists to be played.

This is a comment from someone who does not have FM 2008 nor intends to buy it, partly on the basis of what can be read on these forums.

wbabaggie
14-12-2007, 09:05
Playable.

I expected better however.

Riza
14-12-2007, 09:08
Playable in certain leagues only.

I'm waiting for the fix to be able to play in the Spanish league, which by the looks of things, won't be happening anytime soon.

hermanerneder
14-12-2007, 09:09
At best just playable, but not worth spending time on. It's sad that we have spent money on this game.

SmurfDude
14-12-2007, 09:11
Playable? Of course it is

But not as enjoyable as it could/should of been

Total90
14-12-2007, 09:13
Playable...minor issues.

Macyst
14-12-2007, 09:14
Playable and somewhat enjoyable. Improvement needs to be done though.

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 09:15
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by montaron:
To me it seems that if a question like this needs to be asked or gets asked, then there is something seriously wrong with the game. Right?

I mean, a game is meant to be playable. It only exists to be played.

This is a comment from someone who does not have FM 2008 nor intends to buy it, partly on the basis of what can be read on these forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. When there's this many complaints, SI must know they've done something wrong. Fair enough there's always complaints but I've never seen this many that actually adress a problem instead of the old 'I CANT BEAT MAN U 8-0 WITH MACCLESFIELD THE GAME CHEATS!' complaints. Worst SI game i've ever played.

Jeff
14-12-2007, 09:18
Playable if you like one on one football. I am back to FM 07 and loving it.

Sweet-Zombie-Jesus
14-12-2007, 09:47
Unplayable when playing in the lower leagues and Spanish league.But playable when playing in England.

heathxxx
14-12-2007, 10:01
Playable, but hugely dissapointing and bug ridden IMO. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I am patient to a certain degree regarding the wait for patches, but when you consider that if the "definitive" patch, to fix the majority of major issues of "playability" is'nt due unil February, raises questions about the "value" of the product.

February is 5 months from the original release date. This means that if SI launch an new game every 12 months, the fully "playable" lifespan of the game is only 7 months.

I've been very happy with all the SI made releases from CM1 back in the good old days, but FM08 has made me reconsider if I will buy the product again, until I can be confident it's a more polished and finished product.

I think had I read the forums BEFORE buying FM08, I might not have bought it.

Everybody makes mistakes and I'm sure that SI will do their level best to ensure that FM09 encounters less problems, well, hoping so anyway. http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

That being said though, I for one will be waiting to see what the general (constructive, non-rant http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif) feedback is like before buying again.

Nicki
14-12-2007, 10:07
It is playable, but If you are planning to play the american Major league Soccer, you should know that there are more bugs in that league than the Simpsons got episodes.

Marcussy
14-12-2007, 10:17
Completely unplayable IMO.

Played out of the box and gave up after a day. Beta patch arrived - The same thing, played for a day and then gave up. Full patch - same thing.

I've gone back to 7.0.2 and will definitely be checking out the forums next year before I consider wasting my money again.

sparks1754
14-12-2007, 10:37
Certainly playable but irritating

Stormz30000
14-12-2007, 10:46
Playable

Wee_Tam
14-12-2007, 10:59
playable, but i dont enjoy it as much as i once did. down to the game or im just moving on from fm i dont know

sdeel
14-12-2007, 11:01
tactics are crap the games crap unless your just wanting to work out how a program works and have no interest in football spend your time and money on a sky dish because theres no beautiful game here . but you guniuses have heard it all before . i think playing chess would be more satisfying . queen takes bishop wow

yankee_ram
14-12-2007, 11:03
Playable but FM 07 was better IMO.

Bongo-Bongo
14-12-2007, 11:15
Playable and very enjoyable, although I would rate 7.0.2 better.

Tharkun08
14-12-2007, 11:19
Playable, have won the league and champs league with everton two years on the trot.
However the match engine is awful, and any sense of realism is long gone.

I play because even with the horrendous match engine and sackful of bugs it's still the only football management sim worth buying. SI should count their blessings that they don't have a decent rival at the moment, otherwise I think FM08 would have seen alot of people jump ship.

GerdMuller
14-12-2007, 11:41
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by New_Xieland:

PS. Getting Fifa Manager this weekend - will report back on it in the near future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will be quite surprised by FIFA Manager when you already think FM is far from reality. Seriously that game is for KIDS up to 14 only. Had all FIFA Managers up to 05 and 08 still has the same bugs as they did.

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 11:59
Hope SI read this thread so they can see how many people are unhappy with this game

Kain
14-12-2007, 12:07
Playable, yes. Worth playing, no.

cimlas
14-12-2007, 13:32
Without Patch
Evil Unplayable

With Patch
Haven't tried it yet but hoping it will redeem this game, I've been a fan a long time and this is the first time I've been this frustrated and aggrevated with this series.

sir_walton
14-12-2007, 13:42
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tal_Hides:
Playable! Every patch has been playable.

It drives you mad, it makes you tear your hair out and is probably sending us all to an early grave through stress, but no matter how annoying some of the bugs or issues are, I always go back for more! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what he said !

parkside
14-12-2007, 13:42
playable, but not enjoyable,joyless infact.

Kain
14-12-2007, 13:52
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

It makes you realise quite what a stupendous game 7.02 is http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Having also just gone back to 7.02, I'm amazed by the speed difference. I've had to turn the match speed down 3 notches, because it was so fast, it felt like watching pinball compared to FM08!

So far, the only thing I actually miss from 08 is the additional detail on the confidence screen, and given the problems there are with that anyway, its hardly a big loss.

fromthemachine
14-12-2007, 13:58
Major League Soccer is frustrating. I don't know why they market a specific version to the States if they can't get the league working properly.

I am, however, enjoying a game with Bury in English League 2.

So yeah, playable.

Ackter
14-12-2007, 13:59
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aston_martin:
God yes.

The FM07 patches were excellent http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They certainly were! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People have very short memories on here.

tubbycrabs
14-12-2007, 14:00
Definitely playable, but massively irritating at times.

sheffieldred
14-12-2007, 14:18
Playable if you enjoy managing teams who don't score any goals despite having 15-20 shots on goal and concede nearly every shot against you.

Just downloaded 8.01 patch, started a challege with Bari with a decent team, lost my first 3 friendlies agianst part time teams from Switzerlan, without scoring a goal despite having over 40 shots on goal in the combined three matches.

Whoever programmed this game and the patch is a clown.

nymanr
14-12-2007, 14:18
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The question should really be "Is it enjoyable?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not as much as previous versions. http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon13.gif
Personally did not like FM07 and stopped playing shortly after second patch. FM 06 is the best one for me. Was worried about this new version and what direction SI was going with the game in terms of "realism"/fun. Tried the game with beta 1-2 and saw a great deal of potential that had me very excited about the coming full path. Now i only have disappointment left.
Don't have time or patience for these kind of aggravation anymore. On plain love for the series i will give them one more chance with the second patch which is hopefully arriving soon.
If i bye another FM game i will definitely wait until January before i have a look at the game.

theboss332
14-12-2007, 14:20
My first long term game unplayable now because of spanish registration.

Becoming unplayable with shot ratio issue, and all round annoying issues.

Definately worst fm ever made

aston_martin
14-12-2007, 14:21
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aston_martin:
God yes.

People have very short memories on here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't, I thought the patches were excellent especially 7.0.2

Jimbokav1971
14-12-2007, 14:21
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:
God yes.

People have very short memories on here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif?

There were issues with FM07 out of the box, but the final version of FM07 was excellent. Doesn't that mean that the patches were good? (or was the first patch carp aqnd the second one good?) http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

something less annoying
14-12-2007, 14:50
I'm playing the final FM07. FM08 is a disaster.

Riza
14-12-2007, 21:21
I agree, 7.0.2 was fabulous.

I was having a blast with Melbourne Victory in the A-League.

Ackter
15-12-2007, 03:58
7.0.2 was excellent.

7.0.1 had many problems (such as players immediately leaving their contracts if they rejected your offer).

Same thing will happen with 08 as well: the final patch will be excellent.

Giziar
15-12-2007, 04:07
Altough FM07 was patched I still had conceded way too many goals because of throw ins which went directly to the opponents (they didn't even have to challenge for it, they were just given the ball). Looks like a slight issue to me.

Together with the fact that in FM07 a duel between a defender and attacker almost always was won by the defender resulting in some ping-pong on the midfield I must confess I'm more impressed by FM08 at the moment as I expect it improves even further when the next patch will come out.

Mitja
15-12-2007, 04:21
I never enjoyed FM07. I think it was just too easy and un-real. all you had to do is bring one realy fast striker, set him to run with ball and he did wonders.

more arcade then simulation.

08 ME has impresed me, how much more real it looks like. I also believe these bugs we have, are due to more sophisticated match engine of 08.

Tom L
15-12-2007, 04:28
Well just ot add my thoyghts on this.

World of Warcraft pulled me of '07.

'08 Pulled me off World of Warcraft.

You do the math.

Jimbokav1971
15-12-2007, 04:36
7.0.2 was excellent.

7.0.1 had many problems (such as players immediately leaving their contracts if they rejected your offer).

Same thing will happen with 08 as well: the final patch will be excellent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope so http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif.

I can't remember that "leaving contract thingy". Maybe I didn't encounter it or maybe was just too stupid to notice.

nathan1712
15-12-2007, 07:23
Playable if you don't have high blood pressure and a weak heart and breakables near by, he says with urge to kill rising as we fail to score again after 20 shots on target

Grecian_03
15-12-2007, 07:38
Playable.

Can be frustrating but enjoyable when you can play around the problems.

DBob
15-12-2007, 08:29
I think its playable, it can be very frustrating but you take the good with the bad i suppose, hopefully the next patch fixes some of the BLATENT errors that were released with the patch.

Alurny
15-12-2007, 09:17
Its playable but I can't get into it at all.

Ivo-BG
15-12-2007, 09:42
It's technically playable, but it can lead you to suicide. Final FM07 was better.

The Rob
15-12-2007, 09:47
Playable or not, it is a very, very poor effort. I've gone back to 07 and I won't be buying next year's release, this is the final straw for me.

Slim Charles
15-12-2007, 10:23
It's playable definetely.

Enjoyable - ehh....... http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

reece1973
15-12-2007, 10:26
Im getting sick of this game.
Time and time again bugs crop up.
Seems to me like it hasnt even been tested at all before being put on the shelf.

Kristian
15-12-2007, 10:33
I've only just in the past week installed and starting playing FM08.

It's certainly playable but to be honest I am quite shocked at how poor it is. It just seems so unpolished and slightly chaotic.

My biggest complaint is that the 2D match engine looks like it's gone backwards in it's development. 7.0.2 seemed slick and smooth, whilst the 2D in FM08 looks ... quite frankly ridiculous. It's jerky, unrealistic and not at all impressive.

I'm very surprised. Every year I hear the usual suspects ranting and raving about what a poor effort the latest version is, but I generally find that after a few hours of playing I'm as hooked as ever and enjoying the new features. But FM08 just feels like a massive step backwards.

kennec
15-12-2007, 10:36
best version of cm/fm so far. i play 8.01 and are very happy.

my only complain is english players are way overrated and the big teams keep their superb money balance and rep even if they dont win anything and dont make it to the CL.

rick111
15-12-2007, 10:37
playable
managing lorca who are in Spain, registration bug doesn't cause any major issues

kennec
15-12-2007, 10:38
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riza:
I agree, 7.0.2 was fabulous.

I was having a blast with Melbourne Victory in the A-League. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agree. altough players with good jumping owned.same did wing tactic with crossing into the tower in the middle.

tigerhgrrrrrr
15-12-2007, 11:30
FM08 - best FM yet. Still think CM01-02 was the most instantly fun but tried playing it for old time last week and for the first time since the FM brand arrived - it felt a bit shallow, and not enough to engage me. Im FM08 hooked - any problems check out SAFC8's best 442 in the world!

The 13th Duke of Wybourne
15-12-2007, 12:30
NOT PLAYABLE!

Gamebreaking bugs.

The registration bug completely destroys the game if you want to play Spanish leagues.

Registration was fine in FM07 why it is suddenly broken in next version?

FM2007 7.0.2 rules!

aaberdeenn
15-12-2007, 12:31
Playable.

DMaster2
15-12-2007, 12:49
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The 13th Duke of Wybourne:
NOT PLAYABLE!

Gamebreaking bugs.

The registration bug completely destroys the game if you want to play Spanish leagues.

Registration was fine in FM07 why it is suddenly broken in next version?

FM2007 7.0.2 rules! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. I have to start my Real Madrid game yet

09-01-2008, 19:59
FM08 will have 2 patches. Last one will be out in late February. I think that lack of patches and unbalanced match engine makes game not enjoyable. IMO

I would prefer constant flow of patches. Of course those patches would be smaller. Now I have to wait 5 months after release until I can get exciting career game without irritating bugs and data errors.

Life is life. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Alurny
10-01-2008, 07:20
Don't find it fun on my own but with my housemate it is far more enjoyable!

steves_smith
10-01-2008, 07:33
It's great fun http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Imperius
10-01-2008, 07:46
Unplayable.

I’ve gone back to 7.2. I miss the coach reports on your own players, it’s hard to sell anyone whatsoever, the match engine has it’s faults but at least they pale into insignificance next to FM8’s ME.

I’ll probably give FM8 another go when patch two comes out, but I’ll need a new disc after whacking my first one with a nearby size 11 training shoe. Don’t play FM8 after a visit to the pub is my advice. Not if you get as annoyed as I do with matches finishing with one scoring chance every two minutes, with shots bouncing off giant billiard ball goalkeepers for open goals and goalkeeper distribution from the Kindergarten.

zeke
10-01-2008, 07:49
I guess "technically playable".

For me not playable at the moment. (Shot rations, transfer market and disastrous regens)
Hopefully the long awaited patch delivers.

I will not be buying next release though unless it is absolutely top notch release. Maybe FM2010 than or not.

This field intentionally left blank
10-01-2008, 10:44
Playable but, like shagging a stripper, not as much fun as you'd think.

10-01-2008, 10:58
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by This field intentionally left blank:
Playable but, like shagging a stripper, not as much fun as you'd think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lovingthegreen
10-01-2008, 23:47
Definitely not playable for me - I have gone back to the fully-patched 2007 version and started a game there, which I have enjoyed much more than my 2008 games. The shot-to-goal ratio and ridiculous board expectations just got to be too much for me personally. Hopefully the next patch will help a bit, but until then I'm going to happily play 2007.

Talented_Red
11-01-2008, 00:34
not playable

Mister Z
11-01-2008, 00:58
Overall playable
Match engine OK
Transfer system major bummer
Player/media interaction very boring crap shute
Financial system Non existing (How can you call it improved!!)

Octopus
11-01-2008, 03:31
Playable and still lots of fun

LCFCtillidie
11-01-2008, 03:44
Playable and still enjoying it.

Champion
11-01-2008, 05:14
I think it's playable now But for me I'm playing fm07 now untill a patch fixes the match engine

SWaRFeGa
11-01-2008, 05:19
PLAYABLE 100%.
12 years in. Managed in England, Scotland, Spain, Italy at many different levels.
No problem, no bugs, no super keepers, no complaints at all.

disjointed
11-01-2008, 05:53
Barely playable, certainly not working as intended. Lets hope theres a significant improvment with 8.0.2, I miss my Football Manager.

soundian
11-01-2008, 05:58
8.0.0- The less said the better-12 seasons of intense frustration.
8.0.1-playable but not hugely enjoyable due to the a large amount of bugs which would have been picked up if they'd actually got anyone to play the game as it's meant to be played, rather than setting up an AI manager and letting it run.
That's how it seems to me anyway, too many unrealistic scenarios and bugs which would be picked up by human managers playing it but AI managers wouldn't give two ****'s about

George Graham
11-01-2008, 06:00
Playable, but lacking in magic.