My assistant says "We can do alot worse than signing 'player name'"

means he is good player and that there are alot of worse out there to be had

Oh thought he was being carcastic lol, thought it may have been a new feature haha. Btw...its a contract offer for Juan Manuel Mata for £38 million.

I'm not a native English speaker but hardly have any problem playing FM so far in English. This sentence is confusing to me; it sounds to me that he suggests you to sign the player but I'm sure there are better ways of saying it with more clear level of confidence.

I'm not a native English speaker but hardly have any problem playing FM so far in English. This sentence is confusing to me; it sounds to me that he suggests you to sign the player but I'm sure there are better ways of saying it with more clear level of confidence.

It's actually a quite confident way of saying it. "could do little better than" is also fine, but not so popular.

For confusing expressions...just think about "I could care less" for a while and feel your head explode.:D

English is my first language (unless you count maths :D), and I was a bit confused by this sentence.

I like the old descriptions. Player x is a good signing etc etc. Its more clear cut that way than what we have now.

I would like to see an option for more variations....like if the coach/scout and you don't share the same language then you got broken grammar and all that. And different people have different ways to say the same thing, rather than right now when the same sentence is used by everyone on the earth.

A man can dream though, a man can dream....

For confusing expressions...just think about "I could care less" for a while and feel your head explode.:D
That's just because so many people say it incorrectly. It's supposed to be "I couldn't care less", which obviously makes sense, but people rarely stop to think about it and out of sheer ignorance say "I could care less", which doesn't make sense within the context of their argument. If I get into a debate on another forum with someone who's being a bit of an arse and they dare to say "I could care less" in response to one of my arguments, they're opening a huge can of worms by getting me started on that :D I also like to pull people up on it if they're known for being a bit of a spelling/grammar Nazi.

That's just because so many people say it incorrectly. It's supposed to be "I couldn't care less", which obviously makes sense, but people rarely stop to think about it and out of sheer ignorance say "I could care less", which doesn't make sense within the context of their argument. If I get into a debate on another forum with someone who's being a bit of an arse and they dare to say "I could care less" in response to one of my arguments, they're opening a huge can of worms by getting me started on that :D I also like to pull people up on it if they're known for being a bit of a spelling/grammar Nazi.

Yes and no. Usually I am bit of a spelling/grammar Nazi as well, but I've been a lot lenient to these common and/or accepted "mistakes" since taking courses in linguistics. Languages change and sometimes don't make sense. That's just the nature of things, and now I can also make fun of people who try to preserve "purtiy of language" -- Huzzah! :D

And sorry for straying away from the original topic... :p

Archived