Address me by first name

SI tried to pass this obvious error off as catering to users from Turkey/far east when it is clearly a load of you know what.

It seems to have been intended to what it says in the tin, but the FM 'testing team' apologists have moulded it into what SCIAG reports as it doesn't work.

What a naff post fonejacker. if its a fault you'll get an honest response

Travis If you think its an issue post it in the bugs forum, it will get looked at as it would be a simple fix. Perhaps the real issue here is a requirement for a better explanation of what it does. Perhaps fonejacker could take a butchers at the on-line manual and see if it explains what it does

here you go fonejacker, from the on-line manual:

" Enter your name in the fields provided, most typically First Name followed by Surname. By ticking the box adjacent to the name fields, you can ask the game to refer to you by your first name if you so wish. This is particularly useful in nations where this naming trend is prevalent. "

Does what it says on the tin and in the manual I'd say

I don't accept that at all, and i would hazard a guess that the average joe doesn't read the online manual page for page. Many thanks for your thoughts on my post 'MrArunaDindane', but I wasn't inviting opinions. The OP was I imagine just reciprocating what many others have found, and are looking for a fix towards; not some board police telling them to check the small print.

Yes, and in the far east what we in the western world know as our first name they actually use as a surname, and thier parents surname becomes thier first name, so how it works was how it was intended.

The issue is that it is named "call me by my first name" - the discription is not that helpful and somewhat misleading.

Seeing as this is the first time SI have implemented this, I think you should cut them a bit of slack, esp as it doesn't have any real affect on the game as such, it just seems wrong to us in the western world!

So you don't read the manual then complain its not doing something right. i don't disagree its misleading but the manual explains it rather well. If it was a major problem then there would be loads of people complaining. The answer is if in doubt to read the manual. Doesn't take an end to end read, just a quick search, took me less than a minute

Looks like a hat-trick for me here :D

So you don't read the manual then complain its not doing something right. i don't disagree its misleading but the manual explains it rather well. If it was a major problem then there would be loads of people complaining. The answer is if in doubt to read the manual. Doesn't take an end to end read, just a quick search, took me less than a minute

Looks like a hat-trick for me here :D

On the contrary, I make a habit of reading the manual as and when needed, but the option 'call me by my first name' didn't automatically tax me, or have me rooting around for said manual scratching my head.

I would normally urge the OP to refer this query to the bugs forum, where it will get met with derision and utter disdain by the bods in charge, a recent trawl through that forum, I imagine would prove daunting for any first time user.

i do love a good debate though.

I agree as it took me by surprise and I did scratch my head on this one as i thought why would I want to be called just Mr :) but then realised because its so daft it must be for a name switch so I checked the manual to be safe

I agree the point on first time users. I dont think SI can claim its NOT misleading and it would be better to have a statement say reverse name instead. I think that makes 4-0 and the ref is about to blow his whistle........

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

I'm not too fussed about escalating the issue or declaring it as a bug, just curious to know if there is a simple way of reverting it back to the standard format.

I can understand that it serves a purpose, just not for me :)

And granted the manual would have explained it but I thought it seemed pretty straight forward.

It's a valid in game option that isn't explained very well either in game or in the manual in my opinion.

It also seems abit strange that it reverses the name because from what I can tell the names are fine as they are.

For example, if your name is 'wong fai hung' then that's how you'd want it to show on screen. Just because fei hung Is your first name you wouldn't want your name to be reversed would you?

If it's not a bug but mean't as explained above then it's a totally pointless option as all those in countries where the surname comes before the forename need to do is enter them the opposite way round - it doesn't need a tickbox option to do it.

For the record I thought it did what it said and that you were refered to by your first name like some managers are in real life eg. Harry (Harry Redknapp), Rafa (Rafa Benitez), Sir Alex (Alex Ferguson) or Sven (Sven Goran Ericksson).

Yep. My name is now inverted for the longevity of my FM career. I am hoping that SI will release a 'unreverse' function in the January patch...

If this was meant for nations where naming is the other way round, surely it would have been easier to detect the language setup, i.e. if you are using Turkish, then invert the input menus...? No?

I've posted this in the bugs forum and they've replied to say it was meant for Chinese etc where the name changes round. (like the Utd player Ji Sung Park and people call him Park Ji Sung)

They realised it was a mistake to put "address me by my first name" as this was a little vague, and even though the change sounds simple there would have been a lot of code to try and change which they didn't have time for.

Sorry but I'm not that technical to know how to put a link in this message to get you to the other thread, but its in the "user interface" bugs forum.

And besides, this shows up in the very first news item when you start a new game. Where it says "Such and such a club announce .......... as their new manager" it will have your surname there (asian people's first name) and then the full message says your full name with surname first. Why play on to a point where you don't want to start again because you'll lose your progress if you didn't want your name to show that way?

Archived