Player Development

ive recently been thinking about developing the youth in my squad with first team football coupled with training schedules i have developed myself.

i was just wondering what would be best for these players

playing week in week out in a championship side or now and again at premier league and champions league level as a sub.

ive had mixed sucess so far with a high potential player being ruined going to a lower league club, they promised me when they took him on loan "we feel he will be an important first team player" yet they get him there i cant recall but all he did was sit in the reserve team the entire time and didnt play a single game all season. he came back with significantly lower potential and i was forced to sell him. ive also had success from players my scouts tell me are league 1 quality put in some extremely impressive performances in the premier league so my question is this.

what is the best way to bring out the best currently and future potential of these players which method has the best results in the long run?

thanks.

I would say offer to loan the boy out, but insist on the return at any time clause. The only time I wouldn't let a player drop only one level is if he had already played a couple of years at that level, when I would feel he's learnt all he can there.

As well as that you might get a prem club wanting him and wanting to play him so you're a winner there.

this mainly refers to a certain striker i bought from another club. currently 19 and in the england team. i loaned him out to shef utd he was doing really well there so well i wondered if he was right for the team i have now. he isnt good enough quality for the premiership at the minute but he is currently at decent premier division standard. would be benifit more from the premier league quality of football or lower down where it would be easier for him because his ability has already passed that stage.

Archived