Players on a Hat Trick and Penalties...

Has anyone else experienced that if a player is on 2 goals, and your team is awarded a penalty, regardless of who you have set as your penalty taker, the player on two goals will take it to get his hat trick?

It's happened to me twice, has anyone experienced similar?

It was mentioned as a feature.

Didn't see that! Sorry!

Couldn't this be potentially a bad thing though? What if the match was 2-2, and say a defender with a rubbish penalty taking attribute had scored your team's 2 goals... I wouldn't want him to go for his hat trick!

Didn't see that! Sorry!

Couldn't this be potentially a bad thing though? What if the match was 2-2, and say a defender with a rubbish penalty taking attribute had scored your team's 2 goals... I wouldn't want him to go for his hat trick!

Nothing to apologise about. I reckon if a guy had already scored two goals for my team he'd be in pretty good form and have high confidence so I'd let him take it.

I had it at 2-1 and the player had a low penalty rating and missed. Luckily I managed to keep the game at 2-1.

The worst feature on the game. I want control over who takes the penalties.

Worst feature? Hardly, and if he scored two goals then surely any player would want the opportunity to score a hat trick, especially someone who has never scored one/a young kid/etc.

I say, that's a rather disconcerting feature. Maybe there should be a tick-box to enable/disable it?

It's very unrealistic if it's happening at 2-1. And it's doubly unrealistic because the concept of the hat-trick is unknown in much of Europe, and therefore not grounds for changing the penalty taker.

I had it at 2-1 and the player had a low penalty rating and missed. Luckily I managed to keep the game at 2-1.

The worst feature on the game. I want control over who takes the penalties.

I wouldn't say it's the worst feature, but it is a bit annoying. I like to have control as well. :)

Worst feature? Hardly, and if he scored two goals then surely any player would want the opportunity to score a hat trick, especially someone who has never scored one/a young kid/etc.

Yes but if he's useless at penalties I don't want him taking it and thus potentially effecting the result of the game.

Can you imagine Fergie letting Welbeck take a penalty with the game poised at 2-1? I don't think so!!!

Luckily for me the only times this has happened thus far was in a friendly. Won 10-0, was happy to let Michael Owen get his hat trick :cool:

But then, the second time was a bit disappointing, I was cruising 2-0 up at home to Burnley, got the penalty... Had Anderson set as the taker, but Rooney had gotten the two goals so he took it. Disappointing. I was looking forward to Anderson scoring his first for United :(

Still, it's not been costly, so I'm not upset, but I just found it a bit of an odd feature.

-----------------

no it isn't. Not even close. When Kenwyn Jones did it this season Steve Bruce went mad and said it would never happen again as it wasn't Sunday league football. It was the Premiership and that shouldn't happen.

Oh so it does happen. And the manager doesn't like it. Sounds exactly like this thread.

-----------------

no it isn't. Not even close. When Kenwyn Jones did it this season Steve Bruce went mad and said it would never happen again as it wasn't Sunday league football. It was the Premiership and that shouldn't happen.

This.

It should ONLY happen if a team is comfortably in the lead.

I can't believe this 'feature' has made it through. At least give the manager some control over it? eg being able to go mad about it like Bruce did!!!

Yes but if he's useless at penalties I don't want him taking it and thus potentially effecting the result of the game.

Can you imagine Fergie letting Welbeck take a penalty with the game poised at 2-1? I don't think so!!!

The way quite a few of my games in FM08 and FM09 went, it'd be Vidic taking a penalty at 2-1. Scares me just thinking about it :D

But yes, I've noticed it...twice in one match, actually (I had 4 penalties, 3 of which were scored, in a 14-0 thrashing of Trafford). Owen, Welbeck and Valencia all scored, then Carrick took a penalty and scored. Welbeck scored, then took the second penalty to seal his hat-trick. He scored a fourth, then I subbed him out for Macheda. Owen got a second, Macheda got on the score-sheet then the third penalty was given. Owen was on his hat-trick so stepped up and scored his third. Macheda got two more so had already scored three by the time the fourth and final penalty was given, and Carrick missed that one. Owen scored two more to finish up the scoring.

A second friendly against Trafford (I often arrange friendlies against weak sides during international breaks to maintain the fitness levels of anyone who's retired from international football or who didn't make the cut for the international squad, and to give a run out for my fringe players and youngsters so I can see first-hand how they're doing), Petrucci took the only penalty of the game when he was on a hat-trick.

It's a nice feature, but as others have said, it's one I'd like control over. I think I heard the other week on TV that Frank Lampard hasn't missed a penalty for Chelsea in three years or something? If I had a penalty-taker like that in my side, I'd be ****ed if a practically guaranteed goal was squandered just because someone happened to be on a hat-trick.

--------------------

Oh, so it happened ONCE in the last few years in top flight football and the manager went ape and it happens all the time in this game, thats the same isn't it.

It's not every time. It depends on the players involved and the situation.

Beautiful.

It's not every time. It depends on the players involved and the situation.

How is situation taken into account then?

And player for that matter.

At 2-1 and with someone who has 8 for penalty taking, I would say the situation hasn't been taken into consideration at all.

It's not a massive gripe at all, as the game is excellent, I'm just curious there may be a coding error where the situation is not always properly judged.

-----------------

I've seen players grab the ball, or try to, when on a hat trick. Notably Bobby Convey for Reading against Millwall. However, Convey is 5'7, and the regular penalty taker was 6'3 Dave Kitson.

Beautiful.

------------------

No matter what you say it isn;t even close to realistic. It doesn't matter what the SI guy says, I've seen it three times when my regular penalty taker has stepped aside to allow this, each time I was ahead by one in two games and level in the third. It isn't realistic and is a horrible, horrible feature.

------------------

No matter what you say it isn;t even close to realistic. It doesn't matter what the SI guy says, I've seen it three times when my regular penalty taker has stepped aside to allow this, each time I was ahead by one in two games and level in the third. It isn't realistic and is a horrible, horrible feature.

It could be to do with player personalities.

SI just can't win. Last year (and a few previous) a lot of people said it was "ridiculous" that a player on a hattrick would not take the penalty when the team is a few goals to the good. This year, SI said that it would be "more likely" a player on two goals would take the pen to complete his hattrick, but only if the goal wasn't crucial. For example (purely at random, not sure what the pen situation is at Man U):

Man U 2-0 up against Arsenal. If Rooney is set as pen taker, but Berba got both goals, it is more likely Berba will take the pen.

Man U 2-2 against Arsenal, if Rooney is set as pen taker and is fit to do so he will take the pen, regardless of whether Berba got the other two goals or not.

At least that's how it's SUPPOSED to work. I think.

Man U 2-1 up against Arsenal is a grey area IMO. Again, with Berba getting both goals, if this is the 60th minute, then as manager I'd want my first choice pen taker to make the game safe, but if it's in the 90th minute I'd be happy to let Berba have it. Of course, IRL it depends on the first choice pen taker, whether he'd give it up. If it's Rooney, I doubt he would at all.

In other words, it's an attempt to programme a little realistic common sense. I've not experienced that position yet in FM10.

That's a bad feature. At least as a manager you should be able to control the flexibility of penalty takers from flexible to rigid. This could hurt me bad on my game as my penalty taker is my left back and both forwards are rubbish penalty takers.

This is realistic IF it was only active when ahead by a margin. I had this *feature* while 2-1 up but in the 55th minute. I lost 3-2. If Gerrard not Vukcevic was taking the penalty then who knows? 3-1 up and game over? Either way, it needs tweaking.

Luckily for me the only times this has happened thus far was in a friendly. Won 10-0, was happy to let Michael Owen get his hat trick :cool:

But then, the second time was a bit disappointing, I was cruising 2-0 up at home to Burnley, got the penalty... Had Anderson set as the taker, but Rooney had gotten the two goals so he took it. Disappointing. I was looking forward to Anderson scoring his first for United :(

Still, it's not been costly, so I'm not upset, but I just found it a bit of an odd feature.

You know Rooney would do that in real life too though lol.

I was always under the impression that while the manager chooses a preffered penalty taker, the decision lies with the captain. So in that case I'd say it depends on the captain, and their idea of how confortable the game is.

------------------------

Hmmmm, not really a thing a captain would do. It ain't rugby union! The bottom line is, every player wants to score. When I played, I took the pens. I don't give a rats a55 how many a striker had scored in a game. I was the penalty taker, I wanted to score. That is the way it is X100 in pro football. Like I said, look at the Sunderland game a couple of weeks ago, Bruce actually used the phrase this isn't SUnday league football. It's massively unproffessional if you're the penalty taker and you give it to a mate because he needs a goal or even to complete his hatrick.

Has anyone yet had a central defender who had 2 goals take one? I haven't, I've had attacking players on 2 goals take one to get a penalty but not a central defender. Maybe you are all worrying over nothing, just maybe SI thought of this when creating the feature ;-)

Archived