Football Manager 2010 has run out of memory and will now quit

yep your ram usage seems high when not using fm you can disable things from starting up when windows boots. click on the start menu in search type msconfig and press enter then click startup take a screenshot of that and post it back hre and ill see what can be disabled to increase performance

Ok there are so many they don't fit in one screenshot... I'll cut and paste for you!

1. HD Audio control panel

2. Realtek voice manager

3. Alps pointing device driver

4. RAID event monitor

5. Java Platform SE 6 U14

6. GoogleToolbarNotifier

7. Windows Live Messenger

8. Steam

9. Adobe Acrobat

10. ISB Utility

11. Catalyst ® Control Centre

12. EasyNetwork

13. Norton Online Backup

14. Marketing Tools

15. McAfee Security Center

16. Java platform SE 6 U15

17. VAIO Media Plus

18. QuickTime

19. Itunes

20. Bluetooth Software

You shouldn't have this problem with 4 gb ram. I spend more ram than you on my Windows 7, and while I have 6 gb - you still have more than enough to face any difficulty on this manner.

I can only give you one sound advice - save often - like once a week on autosave or more often.

Ok there are so many they don't fit in one screenshot... I'll cut and paste for you!

1. HD Audio control panel

2. Realtek voice manager

3. Alps pointing device driver

4. RAID event monitor

5. Java Platform SE 6 U14

6. GoogleToolbarNotifier

7. Windows Live Messenger

8. Steam

9. Adobe Acrobat

10. ISB Utility

11. Catalyst ® Control Centre

12. EasyNetwork

13. Norton Online Backup

14. Marketing Tools

15. McAfee Security Center

16. Java platform SE 6 U15

17. VAIO Media Plus

18. QuickTime

19. Itunes

20. Bluetooth Software

If it was me I would stop 1-7,9, 11,12, and 14-20 Once you've stoped these things from starting reboot and see how you get on. If you have any problems you can always re-enable them. Option 14 looks especially iffy to me. Do you have any idea what it does? After you've done this I would also suggest that you download something called game booster and run it. It will stop anything that window doesnt need to work properly. It will work fine with windows 7.

With 4GB you shouldnt have this issue

FM2010 should only use a max of 2GB itself, so as long as you're using less than 2GB with your system, I dont believe running out of actual memory isnt the issue

I have 4GB, and Im playing with nearly 50 leagues on full, the game has only ever hit a max of 1.7GB usage and only rarely done so

But, with optimizing your laptop in mind

1. HD Audio control panel - Is fine

2. Realtek voice manager - Is fine

3. Alps pointing device driver - Is fine

4. RAID event monitor - Is fine

5. Java Platform SE 6 U14 - Should only be running when another program requires it

6. GoogleToolbarNotifier - Switch off, unless using

7. Windows Live Messenger - Only run when you are using

8. Steam - Only run when you are using

9. Adobe Acrobat - Only run when you are using

10. ISB Utility - Leave on

11. Catalyst ® Control Centre - Should be an option in the program itself to "Enable System Tray" make sure its unticked, will save some memory and still have the program working

12. EasyNetwork - Not sure what this is, even google is throwing up too many possibilities

13. Norton Online Backup - For the love of god get rid of anything Norton and find a suitable replacement

14. Marketing Tools - ???

15. McAfee Security Center - Have little experience with McAfee, I believe its ok but I dont know the memory footprint it uses

16. Java platform SE 6 U15 - Same as the other, but you shouldnt have two different versions, therefore you may have a conflict here, you should uninstall both and install latest version

17. VAIO Media Plus - Only run when using

18. QuickTime - Only run when using

19. Itunes - Only run when using

20. Bluetooth Software - Only run when using

NOW, please avoid using msconfig to change these settings (it should be last resort tbh)

What you need to do first, is goto any option menus of these programs and see if there is a way to stop them "start with windows"/"start automatically" (or something to that effect), and then unticking

Some programs can be buggers if you use msconfig, as they will just re-enable themselves unless you've told the program itself not too

If no options exists, then (and only then) use msconfig

But like Ive said, I dont believe it is a memory issue (unless you've got faulty ram... but thats something else)

Though, quick way to find out, IF FM crashes out like this again, goto your Task Manager, click performance tab and look at "Physical Memory Usage History"

If the blue line has at any point touched the top... then yes you have indeed run out of usable memory, BUT if it hasnt, then running out of memory isnt the issue

Archived