SI all is not good with your match engine.

I have played 2 seasons and I have only a couple of issues, but right now, they are REALLY REALLY killing the game for me.

The match engine has some major issues.

No pressure, no aggression, woeful tackling.

What is strange is, the tackling seems to suddenly kick into gear once the ball is in the box, resulting in strange penalties and A LOT of them.

To be honest, this match engine in my very very honest opinion is worse than FM09.

I feel like I am playing a game with life-less drones.

FM has always had me immersed in the game, now I feel like I am playing FIFA Manager.

Something needs to be done, and urgently.

I really don't want to wait till January for SI to fix this.

The average fan will like the match engine, I do not.

I do not understand how so many people love this match engine, my game seems odd, almost border-line broken.

Paul C? Any comments?

I have been a tester in the past, and I would be happy to help with the patches for the 3D engine, hopefully I can help out a little.

It seems that the game was not tested appropriately. Its not about "statistics" generated by the game, comparing it to averages.

I am watching my matches in full, and something is terribly wrong.

There's been a long discussion about tackling/aggression, and SI will be taking it on board.

Not had the experience re penalties myself - maybe 10/11/12 for and/or against in 6 months game-time.

The rest of your post is pretty much opinion, which you are entitled to of course, but you acknowledge that most people like the ME, so I doubt it will be changed drastically - a few tweaks, yes, but nothing major. It's far, far better than FM09 IMO, and the majority of people seem to agree.

The aggression/tackling is an issue, but as I said it's being looked at.

The tackling does seem to be out a little bit - how many times my assistant has told me we've not been good in the tackle I don't know. But I think people are too quick t jump on the "It's a bug bandwaggon". Some times players will be poor in certain aspects of a game, especially lower league. Some tinkering with the tactics and shouts from the touchline tends to see an improvement.

It is enjoyable, because graphically its nicer.

However seeing wingers, and attacking midfielders just passing around with ease is extreemly frustrating.

FM09, I just felt was a lot more lively.

I have tried a few little tweaks myself.

I tend to notice the bug a lot more prelevant when the players seem to be tired.

Pre-season seems to be extreemly bad for this, but during the season it is not as poor.

I agree that this years ME is the best ever, but also I see some problems, mainly with closing down. I a real life match if an opposition midfielder recieved a square pass from his winger just outside my teams penalty area, I would see one of my defenders IMMEDIATELY attempt to close him down before he can shoot or make a decisive pass. This is not happening in my game, defenders are dallying, allowing the attacker to shoot more often than not. Ok, I manage Grimsby Town in English League two, but even Sunday morning footballers know to close down on the edge of their own penalty area.

As I said, to me the ME is better than ever, but this closing down, or lack of, needs looking at.

BTW, to the OP, graphically better means nothing to me, it's the gameplay that counts. CM 2010 has arguably better graphics, as does FIFA Manager 2010, but none of those come anywhere near FM2010 for gameplay. :)

I think the aggression works better on this version than on FM 2009. Marcherano has really cleared up a few dangerous things for me. The other teams play like in each and every version(alot of teh time). Long kick up to a sole player in counterattack, looking for a Henry like goal - and failing mostly. I rarely get penalties, but the opposition get them rarer still. I find this pretty much like last version of FM 2009.

What I don't understand is that 95% of the time my team choses long shots(even though only 2 players have it added). On the other hand, it is quite understandable because I have scored 70 thus far in the league outside the penalty box.

Winning makes me happy, but this game fails - again. In new areas - like always. It's hard to believe it's the same people who has been working on this for 20 years(nearly so), when you think about that the changes from each version to the next are quite marginal.

I do not understand how so many people love this match engine, my game seems odd, almost border-line broken.

That's because many people don't watch the full match. Signing good players and downloading a "super" tactic, they go on holiday and the assistant manager will generally bring good results.

10 penalties FOR in a 6 month period IS too many.

This hardly ever happens in real life.

I disagree. 11 matches into the PL season and some teams have already been handed 3 penalties. In fact if you look at someone like Lampard, many of his goals come from penalties and he has scored a lot of goals in the last few seasons.

I haven't noticed any issues with the number of penalties, for or against. Tackling and aggression seem normal now, though I suppose it also depends on how much closing down/standing off you have your players doing. They aren't going to do much tackling outside the area if you have closing down too far left.

My biggest issue with the engine right now is that nobody can make a cross. You can almost gurantee every single time a player gets down the wing that a corner is going to follow.

This thread is a little odd, for it seems to be the OP's bringing up some problems with the match engines of FM08 and FM09. Midfielders and attacking midfielders passing around with ease without a tackle in sight? Classic FM08. Unstoppable wingers flying past the full-backs? Source of most of my goals scored and conceded in FM09.

But I have noticed neither in FM10. The penalty thing might need to be looked at (though after a frantic first 6 months, the amount of penalties became realistic enough) and of course the effectiveness of long range efforts should be toned down a little even though I'm doing very well out of them at the moment.

I had noticed a lack of tackling on my installation of the game, but i had put it down to only showing key highlights rather than watching the full game. Shame that the problem seems to be more widespread.

Archived