So height and jumping in FM2010

I've played years of Footy manager on the assumption that height matters, but upon stumbling upon these forums a few months ago found out the revelation that height in not calculated in the match engine and only the jumping stat is taken into account :(.

I know what miles said that more would be looked into about this in one of the blogs, but have anyone actually noticed it in effect yet? i.e very tall defender with very low jumping winning a lot of headers. Or has the change been minimal?

i.e very tall defender with very low jumping winning a lot of headers.

Not quite sure what you're getting at, but just to clarify if that helps - height is only used in calculations for players to treat a ball as in the air or not, and so whether he jumps or not. In other words a 6'3" player won't jump for a ball 6' off the ground and his jumping attribute won't come into play; but a 5'7" player will need his jumping attribute for the same instance.

Not quite sure what you're getting at, but just to clarify if that helps - height is only used in calculations for players to treat a ball as in the air or not, and so whether he jumps or not. In other words a 6'3" player won't jump for a ball 6' off the ground and his jumping attribute won't come into play; but a 5'7" player will need his jumping attribute for the same instance.

No no, Height is only used for generating the jumping stat at start of game and adjusts how easy it is to increase the jumping stat after game is started. It is not used in the matchengine itself, it only affect the jumping stat, jumping stat is used in matchengine.

A player 175cm with 10 in jumping is as good a jumper as a player whos 195cm and 10 in jumping. However it will be much easier to increase the jumping stat on the taller player through training than the 175cm player. (if the both have fre abillity points though, not reached their full CA yet)

No no, Height is only used for generating the jumping stat at start of game and adjusts how easy it is to increase the jumping stat after game is started. It is not used in the matchengine itself, it only affect the jumping stat, jumping stat is used in matchengine.

A player 175cm with 10 in jumping is as good a jumper as a player whos 195cm and 10 in jumping. However it will be much easier to increase the jumping stat on the taller player through training than the 175cm player. (if the both have fre abillity points though, not reached their full CA yet)

Do I need to search out the comment from SI to prove it? I really can't be bothered.

Do I need to search out the comment from SI to prove it? I really can't be bothered.

Yeah, what he says there is height is used for the player to determine if the ball is in the air. It does not however help a player win headers. The jumping stat determine how high the player gets regardless of height. Height is used for the progression of jumping stat though.

Guess we misunderstood each other.

Just to sum it up:

2 players no matter their height will have an equal chance of reaching the ball, if their Jumping attribute is the same.

Not really, coz things like strenght and positioning play a part too if two players jump for the same ball. If one player is stronger he will muscle off the other player when they jump for the ball together.

There is NEVER only one player attribute in use.

Not really, coz things like strenght and positioning play a part too if two players jump for the same ball. If one player is stronger he will muscle off the other player when they jump for the ball together.

There is NEVER only one player attribute in use.

I said "equal chance of reaching the ball", not actually winning the header. ;)

I said "equal chance of reaching the ball", not actually winning the header. ;)

Hehe, well then I counter with: Player B had alot better positioning and determination than player A and therefore had more time to time his jump, therefore player A didn't have equal chance to reach the ball ;)

Archived