Manager of the Year...wtf?

Ok, so I've finished my second season (yes, already) with Villa. I was expected to finish 8th, my board wanted a top half finish. I ended the season second, a few points adrift of Chelsea. A remarkable achievement, no? Ancelotti won Manager of the Year, I can understand - he won the league. Wenger came 2nd, despite his Arsenal finishing 5th! And SAF was third, Utd came third. Surely, I should be up there? Why aren't I?

I do not think it is irrelevant,

It is how you have done as a manager from the premiership,not how you have done IN the premiership.

That way it would just be listed 1st 2nd 3rd in the league,it is your overall preformance...just like real life

It takes all of your matches into consideration and then judge's you on that..not just were you finish in the league.

No then why would there be a manager of the year from the Championship?

It is based on how well your team does in all competitions,by the sound of it you lost out as the other teams were getting points for CL games and you were not..

This is the same as in real life.

With you being in the CL next season you have a better chance now.

No, because then it would be open to people from, say, the Championship or League One. The way you're thinking of it currently is:

[English Premier Division] Manager of the Year (an award for performances in the Premier Division)

Try thinking of it instead as:

[English Premier Division Manager] of the Year (an award for someone who manages a Premier Division team)

And for comparison's sake, consider:

[English] Premier Division Manager of the Year (an award only for English managers)

---

It's worth noting that this is in fact a real-life award; it's not just something the makers of FM came up with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Manager_of_the_Year

"...an annual award given to a manager who is recognised for their overall contribution to the achievements of a specific team."

Not "their performance in the Premier League", but "the achievements of a specific team". Any achievements.

Seems the quote is not working,I do remember a team from I think the 2nd division that got to either the semi final's of the FA cup and the Carling cup but they were about mid division in the league but because they did so well in the cups that manager got 2nd divison "manager of the year".

If you think about it it does make sense.

Ok, fine. The award was awarding before the FA Cup final though, so I assume it doesn't take that competition into account? Or just until before the final? I got the Semi's in that, I got knocked out of the League Cup in Round 3, and the Uefa Cup just after the group stages. Surely though, a team that was expected to finish 8th that finished 2nd is worthy of a runner up, at least? Arsenal were expected to finish 4th, and finished 5th, and they didn't that great in the other cups.

Cyril the division manager of the year awards are closed to each division,you are judged on how well you do in every competition you are either in or can be in.

If you are in the like's of CL then ofc you get more points.

You are judged on merit..ofc a manager from div 2 cant win the premiership manager of the year as he is not in the div.

The only way you can win the premiership manager of the year outside the top 4 is if they do really badly in the CL and you do great in the premiership and maybe win the FA cup and maybe the euro league..it is based on points and competitions.

I think its got to be fixed also to the guy who wins the league. Dont think this is changed from 09.

In 09, as far as I can remember, I survived my debut season in the prem with Ipswich, and strengthened my squad a lot. Then in my second season, was expected by the media to be relegated but I got into the UEFA cup. Wasn't even mentioned in the Manager of the Year awards, whereas in real life if that happens I'd be in for a right shout.

Imagine if Phil Brown broke into the top 6 last year? thats what it was like but was unrecognised and i was a bit ticked to say the least.

Cyril the division manager of the year awards are closed to each division,you are judged on how well you do in every competition you are either in or can be in.

If you read my post again, you'll find that's what I said. :) I was actually replying to tottivillarossi's post.

tottivillarossi: "Well why is called the 'English Premier Division Manager of the Year'? If it took all comps into account, surely it'd just be the 'Manager of the Year'?"

Me: "No, because then it would be open to people from, say, the Championship or League One."

I think its got to be fixed also to the guy who wins the league. Dont think this is changed from 09.

In 09, as far as I can remember, I survived my debut season in the prem with Ipswich, and strengthened my squad a lot. Then in my second season, was expected by the media to be relegated but I got into the UEFA cup. Wasn't even mentioned in the Manager of the Year awards, whereas in real life if that happens I'd be in for a right shout.

Imagine if Phil Brown broke into the top 6 last year? thats what it was like but was unrecognised and i was a bit ticked to say the least.

Like, say, George Burley, who won the Manager of the Year Award for finishing 5th in the league and qualifying for the UEFA Cup in Ipswich's first season following promotion?

I think it's always been biased to the managers with massive reputations. Sometimes that happens in real life too, but I do remember Moyes winning manager of the year once for finishing 4th, so they should do the same in FM. Not sure how they calculate it though.

Ok, so I've finished my second season (yes, already) with Villa. I was expected to finish 8th, my board wanted a top half finish. I ended the season second, a few points adrift of Chelsea. A remarkable achievement, no? Ancelotti won Manager of the Year, I can understand - he won the league. Wenger came 2nd, despite his Arsenal finishing 5th! And SAF was third, Utd came third. Surely, I should be up there? Why aren't I?

check manager's point in that season. the award based on point system, can't say your team 2nd so you must be elsewhere 1-3 in the award

Well why is called the 'English Premier Division Manager of the Year'? If it took all comps into account, surely it'd just be the 'Manager of the Year'?

It does take all comps into account. Its like the dude above said. It's for best manager based in EPL.

Like, say, George Burley, who won the Manager of the Year Award for finishing 5th in the league and qualifying for the UEFA Cup in Ipswich's first season following promotion?

hmm not sure, i'm afraid i'm not up to scratch with the real life history of Ipswich, I just chose to manage them at random lol

Archived