Current ability, potential ability and recommendation

When I first signed players many of them were 4 or 5 stars in these categories but are now at 2 stars. Is this because I'm a lower league club and the players are deteriorating or is it because the average squad quality has gone up so the quality compared to current players is lower than when compared to the originals.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It has to do with expectations. You'll notice if you are expected to fight bravely against relegation, the players will be 4-5+ stars. Take the same squad and have the expectation be challenge for the title, and the star ratings will drop. It's telling you the players are good or not so good depending on what the expectations for them are.

edit: and yeah, of course going up a division will do it too :)

In FM09 it compaired players to the best player in your squad.

If you were at a lower league club and had players around 100 in ability they could say 4 stars. If you then took a saved game editor and gave one of the players 200 in ability you would see all the other players ho had 4 stars was suddenly 1 star. Coz they were so much worse than the new 200 ability player.

pretty stupid system. Not sure if its the same in FM10

Its relative to the players in your squad.

I don't think it is a stupid system Butters, this way the stars actually mean something and are usefull to the manahger. If it wasn't relative to the players in your squad and the level you play at and you were a lower league club then all your players would have only 1 or 2 stars wheras if you were a premier league club most of your players would be 4 or 5 stars. This way you can actually distinguish between the quality levels of the players in your squad because at each level of the pyramid you can have players on the full range of 1-5 stars :)

Robbie S: Do the players already in your squad really make a difference in the star rating or just your team reputation/league reputation/league expectations? My experience is the later... I did the following experiment: Started with no players, with a lot of money and reputation 10000; I scouted players and even though I had no player in my squad besides the crappy youth ones, players I scouted had the star ratings I would expect for a team with 10000 reputation, not all 5 stars, like you would expect vis a vis the players in my team (eg. crap). Hope you can clarify.

I don't think it is a stupid system Butters, this way the stars actually mean something and are usefull to the manahger. If it wasn't relative to the players in your squad and the level you play at and you were a lower league club then all your players would have only 1 or 2 stars wheras if you were a premier league club most of your players would be 4 or 5 stars. This way you can actually distinguish between the quality levels of the players in your squad because at each level of the pyramid you can have players on the full range of 1-5 stars :)

It be better if it was related to (the other players in) the league you are in, not primerly your own team. maybe related to the average ability of all the first team players in your division.

I can understand the reasons for the current star system but I do think it falls down if you have a skilled player that can play multiple positions, every scouted player then gets compared to that player. The star system then becomes pretty useless as players are potentially underrated. Personally I think it would be better if you could choose the player used for the comparison.

Archived