Steam Problems

• Administrators
I downloaded using Steam. So annoying. You buy a game, yet can only play it when Steam allows you to.

Not true - there's offline mode, used it today at the library and it was fine.

Anyway, read the FAQ sticky if you are having trouble, but it works fine for me. I had trouble at first starting it, but creating a desktop item for it and running that works perfectly.

I have the same problem and still not recieved a response from STEAM Support (after 2 days).

I purchased Football Manager 2010 through STEAM for GBP 29.99.

I've followed the STEAM instructions and installed both STEAM and Football Manager 2010.

STEAM seems to load okay but when I try to run Football Manger 2010 both STEAM and Windows Task Manager say that fm.exe is running in the background; however I cannot see / play the game.

In the absence of any type of support from STEAM, I've tried various things including:

1. Ensuring my firewall is turned off

2. Installing the latest verion of DirectX

3. Changing the Steam .blob file name

4. Ensuring I have the correct minimum spec

None of the above work...

If I could contact them by phone I'd be happy for them to talk me through a remedy, however they do not seem to have a contact number.

I've spent over 8 hours trying to get FM 2010 working.

Both Sports Interactive and SEGA seem to have chosen the wrong platform on which to distribute their software.

Not true - there's offline mode, used it today at the library and it was fine.

Anyway, read the FAQ sticky if you are having trouble, but it works fine for me. I had trouble at first starting it, but creating a desktop item for it and running that works perfectly.

I have done all of that. Usually it just asks if I want to play in offline mode. Today, it gets stuck on the message saying connecting. As said previously, tried loading through program files as well.

I have the same problem and still not recieved a response from STEAM Support (after 2 days).

I purchased Football Manager 2010 through STEAM for GBP 29.99.

I've followed the STEAM instructions and installed both STEAM and Football Manager 2010.

STEAM seems to load okay but when I try to run Football Manger 2010 both STEAM and Windows Task Manager say that fm.exe is running in the background; however I cannot see / play the game.

In the absence of any type of support from STEAM, I've tried various things including:

1. Ensuring my firewall is turned off

2. Installing the latest verion of DirectX

3. Changing the Steam .blob file name

4. Ensuring I have the correct minimum spec

None of the above work...

If I could contact them by phone I'd be happy for them to talk me through a remedy, however they do not seem to have a contact number.

I've spent over 8 hours trying to get FM 2010 working.

Both Sports Interactive and SEGA seem to have chosen the wrong platform on which to distribute their software.

I shall be contacting Trading Standards in the morning. Buying a game for £30, then can't load or play it. They will have a field day. How do I know? I used to work as a Trading Standards Officer.

This resolves a common problem running Football Manager 2010 on Netbooks:

add --small_screen --windowed to the target of the FM 2010 shortcut.

e.g. --"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 34000 --small_screen --windowed

It sorted my problem out (seems to affect netbooks with small screen resolutions).

Hope it helps others with similar issue.

This resolves a common problem running Football Manager 2010 on Netbooks:

add --small_screen --windowed to the target of the FM 2010 shortcut.

e.g. --"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 34000 --small_screen --windowed

It sorted my problem out (seems to affect netbooks with small screen resolutions).

Hope it helps others with similar issue.

I have done all of that. Usually it just asks if I want to play in offline mode. Today, it gets stuck on the message saying connecting. As said previously, tried loading through program files as well.

Can you give us a bit more info about your PC pls? Posting a DXDIag is a good place to start.

And have you read through the Steam FAQ thread stickied at the top of the forum?

Archived