Steam......

Please tell me we dont have to use Steam again on FM2010. Ive had nothing but trouble with that set of absolute amateurs ever since we were FORCED to use them for FM2009. Im actually now looking into the legality of not being informed on the packaging of 2009 that you had to use an outside or online 3rd party to access the game. What did we dedicated FM players do to deserve Steam???????

1) You could use unilock last year - so you didnt HAVE to use Steam.

2) Personally, I dont understand anyones issues with steam - appart from under immense stress when 5,000,000 people try to sign in at once on release day, ive never had an issue with them.

3) You dont need to use them this year - you can play from the disk.

Steam amateurs? I'll crack the jokes.

Thanks guys appreciate that. I had constant issues with Steam last year, for whatever reason it wouldnt retain my login details. And its just a little suspicious that my FM2009 has totally just been crashed by Steam right at the time that FM2010 is released...... call me sceptical but............

You didn't have to use it last year and you don't need to use it this year either.

Just wondering why there was nothing on the packaging last year to say that you might have to use Steam. And if youre not an IT whiz, youre very very much pushed towards using Steam as a lot of my friends were. I thought Id give it a go so if they had problems I could help them, but I wasnt impressed in the slightest by what Steam offer. A lot less than impressed in fact.

Just wondering why there was nothing on the packaging last year to say that you might have to use Steam. And if youre not an IT whiz, youre very very much pushed towards using Steam as a lot of my friends were. I thought Id give it a go so if they had problems I could help them, but I wasnt impressed in the slightest by what Steam offer. A lot less than impressed in fact.

Steam is optional, they don't force you to use it. I actually thought Uniloc was easier. All you do is input your code and press activate and it's done.

BTW, you didn't have to be an IT whiz to know that their were other options than Steam. Rather simple tbh, like Steam imo, simple, easy, patches automatically, and it doesn't need to be open all the time to run the game.

Fair one, but Im talking mates who are 40 odd and dont really know a great deal about IT. Not everyone grew up with IT so for some its still quite difficult.

The only benefits as I see using steam are.............and lets have a good look shall we:)

1. you should be able to play the new game before every one else;)..................ie download it at midnight......................but you will find toooooooooooooooooooo many using it so delays etc................and more importantly THE STORES SOLD THE GAME A FEW DAYS BEFORE RELEASE DAY:thup:.....so no benefit there then

2. you get automatic updates patches etc.....................but these are usually available on this site within 24 hours by way of a download..............so once again so no benefit there then

3.you can play the game without using the disk on up to 3 pcs...............I havent got an issue with using the disk but ....steam gets my vote there

4.Steam is cheaper than anyone else...................no they are I believe the most expensive place to get the game (they were when I ordered my copy over a month ago with Zavvi, it was more than twice the price with steam, nearer to 3 times )

so is it worth it through steam.................make your own mind up

Sigh.

The benifits of steam are

1) You dont have to go out and buy the game - I work long hours and it was far more practical than waiting a couple of days for a day off.

2) It auto patches - and the patch down load is at 300+KB, compared to most downloads crawlling along at the 5-10kb range, or worse from torrent sites.

3) The patches work - just look at the forum for the people who are having issues with patches not loading correctly - no one on steam has this issue.

Disadvantages

1) Its at the standard price, which is more than the discounted price that some people got elsewhere (at least you can pay in £ now rather than $ conversions like it was 3 years ago!)

2) a tiny little programe has to run in the background and this seems to annoy some people.

3) Its easier if you stay online the entire time (again, in this day and age of broadband I cant understand why this is an issue.)

Some people seem to have this bizare concept that steam is the work of the devil.

DVD Boxed version ALWAYS gets my vote

You can play the game on any number of pc's or laptops using the DVD boxed version.....you just need the DVD in the drive of the machine

You can resell it if you so wish

You don't get the STEAM crush on day 1 when everyone downloads

You don't need to be logged on to the internet when you play it

make your own mind up

Fair one, but Im talking mates who are 40 odd and dont really know a great deal about IT. Not everyone grew up with IT so for some its still quite difficult.

Fair enough, didn't realise you were that age:o

This year you can activate it offline, therefore you don't need Steam, but you don't get the Steam achievements and the Steam skin for FM10, modelled on FM09

The only benefits as I see using steam are.............and lets have a good look shall we:)

1. you should be able to play the new game before every one else;)..................ie download it at midnight......................but you will find toooooooooooooooooooo many using it so delays etc................and more importantly THE STORES SOLD THE GAME A FEW DAYS BEFORE RELEASE DAY:thup:.....so no benefit there then

2. you get automatic updates patches etc.....................but these are usually available on this site within 24 hours by way of a download..............so once again so no benefit there then

3.you can play the game without using the disk on up to 3 pcs...............I havent got an issue with using the disk but ....steam gets my vote there

4.Steam is cheaper than anyone else...................no they are I believe the most expensive place to get the game (they were when I ordered my copy over a month ago with Zavvi, it was more than twice the price with steam, nearer to 3 times )

2. Steams servers are faster then what si offer and it selfs installs so is a massive benefit

DVD Boxed version ALWAYS gets my vote

You can play the game on any number of pc's or laptops using the DVD boxed version.....you just need the DVD in the drive of the machine

You can resell it if you so wish

You don't get the STEAM crush on day 1 when everyone downloads

You don't need to be logged on to the internet when you play it

make your own mind up

again there was no steam crush it was downloaded 4 or so hours before it was released just the last 10% needed downloading which took all of 2 mins.

and you dont need to be online to play FM on steam it has an offline mode

My opinion? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

If your friends are 40-odd, then surely using a program that does all of the annoying IT work for them, automatically, would be the best way forward?

This way, they get the game updated whenever it needs to be, they get a single place to download the game, and they get a simple interface to use.

Fair enough, didn't realise you were that age:o

This year you can activate it offline, therefore you don't need Steam, but you don't get the Steam achievements and the Steam skin for FM10, modelled on FM09

Haha, cheeky git!!! Its not a drama for me mate. But cheers for the tip.

If your friends are 40-odd, then surely using a program that does all of the annoying IT work for them, automatically, would be the best way forward?

This way, they get the game updated whenever it needs to be, they get a single place to download the game, and they get a simple interface to use.

Youd think so wouldnt you? But when steam repeatedly says it cant access log on information and doesnt let them log on.... you cant play the game. Very very annoying.

Youd think so wouldnt you? But when steam repeatedly says it cant access log on information and doesnt let them log on.... you cant play the game. Very very annoying.

I'd assume it's because your friends are doing something fundamentally wrong.

I've been using Steam for three years, and of the very minor errors I've had, logging onto the service has never been one of them.

I bought the digital download from GamersGate. It was cheaper than steam, it doesn't require me to use a disc, it was easy and fast to download, I put my code into unilock and got it activated in a matter of seconds and I don't have to run anything in the background. I would say steam loses out big time against that, sure I didn't get the game the minute it was released but that didn't really bother me as I had it installed and ready to play when I got home from work on Friday. I have it installed on both my laptop and desktop without any problems. I really see no point in using steam for this except the autopatching and sofar I have to find the patch for this game that has caused me trouble.

I really see no point in using steam for this except the autopatching and sofar I have to find the patch for this game that has caused me trouble.

I dont disbelieve you (or others who say this) I would just love to know what on earth you do/what happens to cause this.

I have bought and played 6 games through steam (total war and fm being the big ones) and ive played 4 of those games for 1000+ hours easily.

In all that time ive had 1 solitary problem, and, to be honest, that problem was 95% my fault. (I had a mod installed, turned on steam, didnt realise the mod was not compatable with the new patch, and I had to reinstall the game - as I said - 95% my fault)

This is why I dont understand when people bitch and moan about steam - for me, its been near flawless.

same with me the thing im finding most ppl having problems with steam is to do with speed and that is not steams fault but its down to the users internet for example some guy was on here complaing about speed when he was using mobile broadband how on earth do you expect to download anything for mobile broadband

Please tell me we dont have to use Steam again on FM2010. Ive had nothing but trouble with that set of absolute amateurs ever since we were FORCED to use them for FM2009. Im actually now looking into the legality of not being informed on the packaging of 2009 that you had to use an outside or online 3rd party to access the game. What did we dedicated FM players do to deserve Steam???????

Apart from the facts that;

- You weren't forced to use Steam last year.

- You're not forced to use Steam this year.

- You can literally run FM10 by putting the disk in the drive, installing it, and starting it up.

You're right on the mark. If you can show me an easier way to install and play a PC game, please do, and we'll try and aim for that next year.

Cheers though.

Matt

IT shouldnt - you can register games through steam. - go to steam and on the 'my games' tab there is a button that says 'active product on steam'

Pretty certain thats what does it (I havent used it like that for a while - but my memory isnt THAT bad yet)

It just seems stupid you buy a physical copy of the game, only for them to make you download it. Seems like a lot of wasted money creating all those DVD disks, just for them not to be needed. Just think how much cheaper the game could have been if they didn't produce as many DVDs and just gave Steam users a manual with the serial number on

So I used Steam this year because it's a pain finding it in stores around here and I didn't want to order it. Last year I had no problems, but I usually launched from the exe and bypassed Steam. Seems you can't do this anymore, and I can't login to Steam right now, so I can't play...There has to be something I'm missing?

I dont disbelieve you (or others who say this) I would just love to know what on earth you do/what happens to cause this.

I have bought and played 6 games through steam (total war and fm being the big ones) and ive played 4 of those games for 1000+ hours easily.

In all that time ive had 1 solitary problem, and, to be honest, that problem was 95% my fault. (I had a mod installed, turned on steam, didnt realise the mod was not compatable with the new patch, and I had to reinstall the game - as I said - 95% my fault)

This is why I dont understand when people bitch and moan about steam - for me, its been near flawless.

I didn't say I had any problems with steam. I just don't see any benefits to playing through steam as the autopatching is not worth the extra 10-15 bucks it cost. I have a dozen games or so through steam and I also used it for FM09 without issues. I just think that those that are speaking so much for steam haven't really thought of the options.

Archived