Why can't I sign certain players?

It just doesn't have the option for Approach to Sign. There doesn't seem to be any difference between them and players I've been able to approach - they aren't of a higher quality. I don't believe there are any player limitations that should affect it - they're English players.

club being super poor/unknown doesn't mean that you can not approach a player, there must be some short of limitation there.

Exactly you can approach as an amateur team even Messi or Ronaldo, but you wouldn't have the money and of course the player wouldn't join you but still you can try.

For the OP give us more information on your game.

I am on FM2010 with Hallam F.C (of the NCEL, Level 9) on Super Bladesman's edit and have found that there are a number of free agents I'm not able to sign. Is this because I am a semi-pro club or is there any other reason?

I've noticed you can't approach players that are appearing at the England trials day until after it's happened. Might be that?

Was semi following this discussion, and I believe this is his problem (which happens to me too on occations); His scout recommends 4-5 players for your team, but when you "click" them, to check stats, or approach them, there are some players you for some reason cannot "click" on. I was wondering about this, it puzzled me, and I believe I found the solution. It seems some players decide to retire without the database updating it at once. Hence the scout may recommend someone whos actually retired (I tried to search for the players I couldnt "click" on, but they were non.existant. So I reloaded an end-of-the-season save I had, and voila, there they were, either uncontracted, or going out of their former club). Anyway, the database seem to update itself after a while (especially as you pass the free transfer deadline), and filters out the "dead fish".

I found that I was unable to "Approach to Sign" players who were part of the England Triallists I, II, III, IV squads until after they had played these games. Could it be that the players are part of that setup?

Archived