Part Time VS Full Time??

I am a little lost on how this feature works in game. To be honest I have never understood this in all the versions of the game I have ever played, I just now remembered to post a question on it.

When you go to sign a player and in particular a new staff what difference does it make if the contract is part time or full time? My obvious conclusion would be that the part time coach would be around less, but what effect does that have on the team or his ability? Are there any advantages to signing somebody on a part time contract vs a full time contract?

It seems whenever I manage a lower league club, which is most of the time, most contract offers are set to part-time by default. Usually I change that to full time. I would greatly appreciate any insight into this and how it affects the players and staff.

Thanks for the help....and FM 2010 is a blast!! Best version by far...and I have been playing this series of games since 1997. I don't even post very often....check out my join date vs my number of posts :) But I do have to say that this year SI have really outdone themselves. Nothing like a little competition to light a fire ;)

Staff wont be around as much to train players, so I would imagine their effect of full-time contracted players would be less

Game-wise I dont think there is any advantage tbh

In the real world, part-time contracts are usually for wages below a certain level, allowing the player to also have a "day-job" as main income

if you are a lower legue manager, i mean very low like blue square south north, you might not have a profesional squad, and most staff and team members will be part tim or amatuer, with only a hand full of ful timers

Yep. Also at that level, most staff don't want a full time contract. I've found that there's a big difference in training levels when you go from part time to full time. Especially if your coaches have good determination / motivation / adaptability skills.

In the real world, part-time contracts are usually for wages below a certain level, allowing the player to also have a "day-job" as main income

In a lot of real-world cases, they're also for players who have a career outside football. The best-known recent example was probably one Dr. Kenneth Deuchar. Quite a lot of football players in the lower leagues have professions - teachers, lawyers, policemen - that they wouldn't want to give up to play football full-time. It was reported here that even when Deuchar went to Real Salt Lake, one of the factors in his decision was the ability to continue practicing medicine at the local hospital.

In Scotland, you also find that the top part-time players (like Deuchar) will command higher wages than the lower-standard full-time ones. From what I've seen, that doesn't really translate into the game though. Basically in FM it seems to be (anecdotally; I can't speak with any authority at all on the subject) that part time players will develop less and be less fit, part time coaches will have less influence on the players' progression, but the tradeoff is that both are cheaper than the full-time equivalent.

That would be true, but I was referring more to the larger amount of cases

Since in FM, only the football world exists it cant really emulate players like Deuchar, unless something is added into the database that has a player refusing to ever accept full-time contracts (tbh, not really impossible but is it really worth the time and effort?)

I'm some team in Portugal in the second division. There is no wage difference between part-time and full time. So what is the point of part-time if they accept a full-time contract of the same value?

Sign them all for full time then, but in my game if I try to sign someone for part time they demand less. Not always a lot less though, in which case I go for full time.

That would be true, but I was referring more to the larger amount of cases

Since in FM, only the football world exists it cant really emulate players like Deuchar, unless something is added into the database that has a player refusing to ever accept full-time contracts (tbh, not really impossible but is it really worth the time and effort?)

I guess it depends on how realistic you want it. I know a few Lewes players when they got promoted to the Blue Square Premier left as they did not want to have to commit to full time/national football as they were only playing for the pleasure as much as anything else so when they went up they went elsewhere in the Blue Square South.

Archived