[FM10] Cardios Angels - A Tonbridge Angels Career

Cardiovascular

Cardio's Angels - A dafuge's challenge career.

TonAngelsCrest1.gif

Tonbridge Angels are a football club in Tonbridge, Kent, England. They play at the Longmead Stadium in Tonbridge and have done so since 1980, after moving from the Angel Ground.

The Angels gained promotion to the Isthmian League Premier Division after winning the 2005-06 promotion play-offs, winning the play-off final match 3-2 over local rivals Dover Athletic. In the 2009/2010 season, they gained promotion to the Blue Square south and named Cardiovascular as their manager.

Notable ex-players include the England international Malcolm Macdonald, Aston Villa's league championship winning manager Ron Saunders and Fulham's current manager Roy Hodgson.

Hello all, this career is part of dafuge's FM10 challenge. It's played on 10.1 and will be automatically updated via Steam each time updates are downloaded. When the challenge is complete (or goes pear shaped), it may turn into a career game. I hope you enjoy my career with The Angels and I do hope you see the rise and rise of them too.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Cardio's Angels - 2010/11

We were predicted to finish 20th and get relegated, so I knew work had to be done.

Transfers

Alot of signings were made and it pretty much paid off, we stayed up and picking up form (well, Sigere did!)

League Table

We had a pretty much awful start and took nine games to kick start our season - once we did that, we had our points where we stuttered but I was impressed with the squad itself as we survived relegation.

FA Trophy - We thumped North Leigh three-nil but despite dominating fellow relegation candidates Carshalton, we struggled attackingly and paid for it when they scored with less than 10 minutes to go.

FA Cup - This one I was really not pleased with. I actually thought someone out there had it in for me when this finished. They scored a free-kick from the edge of the box which I though "fair enough" to and then he steps up and smashes home a 40 yard free-kick!

Key Players:

Shaun Allaway - The goalkeeper was one of my first signings and played every match. He was solid for most of the time and was generally a good player.

David Barnard - The veteran left back signed for nothing and was great. He scored a few free-kick and took set pieces; his only problem was he was slow.

Scott Gooding - Was the rock of the defence and even chipped in with a few goals. Great season for him.

Fabio Ferreira - A late arrival to the squad and performed well when he played. Should be excellent next season hopefully.

Michal Dolinajec - The young Slovakian was excellent and averaged 7.10 throughout the season. Was an excellent player in the AMC and generally performed well.

Jean-Michel Sigere - The Frenchman who was originally at the club when I arrived had a shaky start - much like the rest of us - but when his form picked up, he was amazing. 18 goals was an excellent gift for us but I fear he may be past it for next season.

Career Overview

Season      League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11    Blue Square South          16th         -

Season 2011/2012 - Tonbridge Angels

Following 'success' (success being defined as staying up), I told the board we should've been challenging for promotion at least. Bad mistake. When we didn't challenge for promotion at all, my head was on the line. However, we finished comfortably in mid-table which can only show signs of improvement, a definite plus.

League Finish: 16th

League Graph

We did hover so slightly at the top for one game; it tasted sweet and I wanted more but the boys struggled from then on.

Transfers

Only one transfers but personally I think it was excellent. Eastham was a rock in defence. Thos who left were not needed and Vickers was just too old for the team, despite having good attributes. Currently, our finances are awful :(

FA Cup

A good run was ended by Torquay in the 2nd round and by a late equaliser after we had come from 2 goals down to draw. We had squeezed past Tooting & Micham, thumped Hastings United, struggled and managed to overcome Horsham and then went onto thump BSP side Darlington in the first round before falling to Torquay.

FA Trophy

We fell to fellow Blue Square South side Welling after leading and dominating for most of the match. We had thumped Carshalton to get here but we couldn't progress further and we crashed out.

Key Player Profiles

Michal Dolinajec - The 20 year old had another marvellous season, providing and scoring. He had 16 goals and 15 assists mostly playing in his favoured AMC position so an excellent contribution from him.

Ashley Eastham - An absolute solid rock in defence, shut out the opposition most of the time. Managed to get up the other end three times to score as well, including a debut goal.

Fabio Ferreira - Fabio had a great season despite not scoring or providing. He was normally the passer to the provider as he slotted into the AMR position very well.

John Leonard - The midfielder played in his favoured defensive midfield position for the majority of the season and was completely solid throughout - he even managed to hit two 30+ yard screamers which had me very pleased.

Kyle Wilson - Well, Super Kyle was excellent this year. Played as a lone striker and chipped in with 18 goals for himself and even layed on 10 for others. I couldn't have asked for more and only hope he can continue this form..

Career Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12    Blue Square South          13th         -

2012/2013 - Tonbridge Angels - Cardiovascular

A season I had high-ish hopes for, I thought we could push for a top-half finished and told the board so. Their response was to lower the wage budget. After our good start with the board, the season was shaky when we started but it soon picked up and we never looked back ultimately, and promotion was sealed with a 1-0 victory over Hampton & Richmond in the BSS play-off final.

League Finish: 3rd

League Positions Graph

As we neared the top following the shaky start, we never really did look like we'd lose. After an absolute thrashing in the FA Cup, we lost form and struggled to maintain our high standards but to my delight, we did pull it back and finish 3rd to make the play-offs.

Playoff Semi Final Leg 1

Playoff Semi Final Leg 2

Playoff Final

Our triumph over both Hampton & Richmond and Chelmsford, and ultimately our promotion, meant I finished Runner up in Manager of the Season.

FA Cup - Do you really want me to talk about it? I think I'd get banned.. :(

FA Trophy - A loss in the first round to Merthyr ensures an awful season for us in the cups this year.

Transfers

Thurlbourne came in to be our resident DMC and promptly made himself that, whereas Lindie and Cole were both back-up.

Key Player Profiles

Tom Bryant - Tom was our star player this year and the partnership of him and Eastham were near enough unstoppable. Chipped in with 5 goals as well to round off a great season for him.

Ashley Eastham - Alongside Bryant, we had a solid defence and Eastham also chipped in with his fair share of goals.. again, he was excellent.

Eugene Cunningham - Eugene joined us 2 seasons ago and this was his best one since joining. He played regularly down the left, both scoring and assisting plenty of times.

Fabio Ferreira - The Portuguese youngster was fantastic down the right, with 12 and 13 goals and assists respectively. He was excellent this year, truly amazing.

Michal Dolinajec - Without a shadow of a doubt, the best player this year. Scored an incredible amount of goals from the attacking midfield position and evem threw in 12 assists. Unbelievable and excellent.

Career Overview

2012/13    Blue Square South           3rd         Promotion

2013/14 - Tonbridge Angels - Blue Square Premier

I thought this season might be a tricky one but I was pleasantly surprised. If someone had said to me "I'll give you 9th place and 72 points" at the beginning of the season, I would've gladly taken it with both hands. But with the performance throughout the season, I'm very disappointed to finish 9th.

Media Prediction: 24th

League Finish: 9th

League Graph

The league graph pretty much sums up what I was saying previously. As good as we were, we couldn't keep up and eventually fell away into the top half.

FA Cup

The motivation of a home tie against Arsenal appeared for 10 minutes here before we stumbled away clutching a loss. Hereford were 2-0 down but came back to it and smashed us 4-2 which is a massive disappointment.

FA Trophy

Stevenage ended our dreams after a decent run. Again, we had taken the league through Ferreira but we couldn't hold it and after beating them previously in the BSP just days earlier, we couldn't hold on.

Transfers

I felt a massive overhaul was needed and we had to strengthen. If I do say so myself, this year's dealing were good. Most of the players made the first team. Oh, and just to show how difficult finding talent was, here is how many players I trialled this season.

Key Player Profiles

Gareth Parker - Gareth was the new rock at the back and solid all season. As well as his decent penalty-taking abilities, he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and that can only be a good thing.

Michal Dolinajec - Once again, another great season. This year's captain grabbed 16 goals and layed on another 15 to round up a great year.

Ashley Eastham - Another excellent, solid season at the back for Ashley. Alongside Parker, they were great together and totally unbeatable in the air.

Radoslav Vasilev - The Bulgarian had been released by the Glenn Hoddle Academy and I promptly snapped him up after he impressed in a friendly. He proceeded to tear up the BSP but sadly he had about three injuries which kept him out for a month at a time. Despite this, he still ended with 25 goals in 31 appearances. A marvellous contribution from the Bulgarian youngster.

Career Overview

2013/14    Blue Square Premier         9th         -

Good progress so far Cardio :thup: I'm still playing FM08 so don't know how FM10 plays but one thing i've noticed compared to last years game is the lack of back to back promotions for people. Alot of people were going from the BSS/BSN to the Prem in like 6-7 seasons. Do you find this years game more difficult?

Your progressing well. The play off win topped off a huge 3rd season improvement. A very strong season in the BS Prem too.

How are the crowds? Big enough to finance a climb up to league football and professional status?

Cheers for the comments lads!

Raware - what I'm finding is the difficulty of finding the right roles for players. Of course the game itselfs is hard but the player roles are something I'm currently struggling with.

WH - Crowds are hit & miss really. Finances are really not good and crowds are dodgy. Just as a comparison; me v 1st place team rakes in 366 whereas a meaningless friendly sees more than 8000 travels to watch us beat QPR!

2014/15 - Tonbridge Angels - Blue Square Premier

After last years 'success' shall we say after our secure mid-table in our first season in the BSP; sadly, it was not be as we endured a torrid season and ended up in the bottom half.

League Position: 16th

Position Graph

As you can see, we yo-yo'd between the mid-table positions until we eventually settled for 16th, a disappointing season to follow on our better previous one.

FA Cup

Lost respectably in the first round to Oldham and this was before our good form dipped awfully.

I would post the FA Trophy but it was so embarrassing, I'd rather not. A 6-1 thrashing by Northwich was our result sadly.

Key Player Profiles

Michal Dolinajec

Captain Michal was given less playing time and his season was less eventful this year... Nonetheless, when he played, he performed. 13 assists in the amount of games he played was great.

Ryan Mason

The summer signing, our second from the GH Academy, was a fine acquisition. 14 goals and 13 assists meant he replaced Dolinajec as our resident AMC, and rightly so.

Radoslav Vasilev

He was our goalscorer this season as no injuries pestered him. Should we have been better in the league, he could've grabbed more than the 33 goals he did, breaking all records in the process.

2014/15    Blue Square Premier        16th         -

A honourable shout out to our awful finances.

2015/16 - Tonbridge Angels - Blue Square Premier

I hoped we would improve on last season but we stuck to the same position and finished - disappointingly - in 16th. The media read us like a book however, and got our position spot on.

Media Prediction

Actual Finish: 16th

League Graph

We were going up and down like no man's business before eventually settling on 16th.

Transfers

Damian Ferry had been getting little first team football so it was only right to sell him - £16,000 pocketed for us.

FA Cup

We played very well but Hartlepool were the better team and we escaped with a narrow 2-1 loss to them in the first round.

FA Trophy

We made it to the semi's after eliminating the (lower team) competition but lost narrowly to Stafford after extra time.

Key Player Profiles

Gareth Parker

Gareth was the rock at the back in this season, and even popped up to score a few goals. He was great, and that is going to be expected this season.

Joe Mason

Joe scored and provided alot in a season where goals were dryed out which was quite an achievement; well done to him from me.

Radoslav Vasilev

18 goals in an awful season and in the process, breaking the record goals for the club (poor Dolinajec..) Great season for him.

Career Overview

2014/15    Blue Square Premier        16th         -
2015/16    Blue Square Premier        16th         -

Archived