Newgens.

I very much doubt so, but is there a way one can block the creation of 'newgens' in the game? To be honest, to me (and not just me) those kind of ruin the 'realism' of the game - particularly since they've started popping up in large numbers from the very first season on.

For people who play LOOOONG games (ie 10+ seasons), then regens are, well vital. If it wasn't for those pig-ugly sons of guns, then there would be no players to manage. Unfortunately, if you're only interested in playing a couple of seasons then, nope you can't turn 'em off I'm afraid.

Oh, absolutely, I can see their purpose in the long run. But I preferred the time when newgens or regens didn't pop up from the start, and the legendary 'grey players' completed small squads. Newgens are quite annoying when you prefer realism over speed (= selecting as many leagues as possible and thus proceding quite slowly:).

For the record: I do realize most people don't bother about the newgens, and I obviously understand why they're necessary in the long run. I'm merely asking whether there's a technical possibility to block the creation of artificial players (ánd staff), for those who'd like to keep their games as realistic as possible.

My point exactly, peter-evo!
For the record: I do realize most people don't bother about the newgens, and I obviously understand why they're necessary in the long run. I'm merely asking whether there's a technical possibility to block the creation of artificial players (ánd staff), for those who'd like to keep their games as realistic as possible.

Dude, doyou watch any football wether its live in person or on television ? so having 0 new players to come in for their 1st season of pro football is realistic inthe real world ? get real ... there are plenty of 16-18 year olds in their 1st season of pro-football in real life all over the world.

in a perfect world, no player would retire and be awesome for the next 50 years.

if there wasnt any regens then we wouldn't have much of a game to be honest and worthless.

Again: I'm not saying the regens phenomenon should disappear, I'm just wondering whether it's possibl, for people who dón't like it, to stop the creation of fake players and staff. And let's be objective: is it really necessary regens appear from the start on?

Dude, doyou watch any football wether its live in person or on television ? so having 0 new players to come in for their 1st season of pro football is realistic inthe real world ? get real ... there are plenty of 16-18 year olds in their 1st season of pro-football in real life all over the world.

And your point is?

No, but lower league sides do.
Incorrect.

actually it's totally correct.a newgen is a player who replaces a retired player. there has never beena player retire before january 1st 1st season ever before on any cm or fm games

actually it's totally correct.a newgen is a player who replaces a retired player. there has never beena player retire before january 1st 1st season ever before on any cm or fm games

That was before 2009. Check the two most recent games, and you'll find newgens from the start.

I was clearly replying to your opening post. that was a silly reply from you, very silly, just like your thought of wanting ZERO newgens in the game, very silly request and opinion.

Not really, because when you indeed have tons of real-life 16 year old players around the world, there isn't an immédiate urge to introduce fake youngster, no?

And your point is?
Not really, because when you indeed have tons of real-life 16 year old players around the world, there isn't an immédiate urge to introduce fake youngster, no?

well you don't also see clubs with zero real players in the real world do you ? all clubs have enough players to satisfy their playing needs. Clearly in FM you cant have every club in the games database as a manager who is controlling the club live like we do in the game thus the need for grey players in leagues/nations that aint atleast viewable on our saved games. You see, I have an answer for everything, keep them coming :D

That was before 2009. Check the two most recent games, and you'll find newgens from the start.

I'm more than happy for you to show me a newgen that has come into the game right after the retirement of a player in the database on any day before January 1st of the 1st season.

Screenshot needed please

I'm pretty sure this is completely untrue. As I remember it, new players stopped being dependent on retirees when they switched from Regens to Newgens. We moved from Newgens to FREDs quite a few years ago now, and they most definitely have no correlation with players retiring

I'm pretty sure this is completely untrue. As I remember it, new players stopped being dependent on retirees when they switched from Regens to Newgens. We moved from Newgens to FREDs quite a few years ago now, and they most definitely have no correlation with players retiring

there is still a strong link between players who retire and new players who come into the game on a 6 month basis, however, there is a magical number of players who come into the game due to other reasons also

I don't understand this thread at all. Is the OP asking to be able to stop newgens from appearing entirely? Or just to prevent the first batch generating and filling up teams with empty squads right at the beginning? I guess that would make a bit more sense, but still not much.

well you don't also see clubs with zero real players in the real world do you ? all clubs have enough players to satisfy their playing needs. Clearly in FM you cant have every club in the games database as a manager who is controlling the club live like we do in the game thus the need for grey players in leagues/nations that aint atleast viewable on our saved games. You see, I have an answer for everything, keep them coming :D

Sir, you truly are the master of comebacks. I clearly can't compete with your debating powers, thus reluctantly withdraw in irony.:(

I also won't provide a screenshot of a newgen. You've convinced me those weird looking youngsters aren't newgens, they must be premature botox victims.

I don't understand this thread at all. Is the OP asking to be able to stop newgens from appearing entirely? Or just to prevent the first batch generating and filling up teams with empty squads right at the beginning? I guess that would make a bit more sense, but still not much.

The second option. I'm surprised by the stunned reactions here, is it really that odd to prefer a game that doesn't include fake players (at least for the first season)? FM-veterans will remember that ís how the game used to be.

The thing I don't get, is that you say you'd like to turn them off for realism, but if they aren't there then the teams that are playing them would almost certainly be playing "grey players" in their place, which are also made up players, but they aren't always the same players for every match...

• SI Staff

A few facts to put things straight:

- Newgens are totally new players created by the game and have no link to any existing players that have retired from the game. Newgens tend to get created around the same time older players retire from the game but there is no link between the data of the two groups.

- I'm not sure why OP would prefer the grey virtual players over newgens. Both are as "unrealistic" since neither are based on the real life DB and both kind of players are generated by the game. Both type of players appear in matches and the difference is that the newgen players stick around in the game to have a career, whereas grey virtuals are just emergency placeholders to fill empty teams when needed.

A few facts to put things straight:

- Newgens are totally new players created by the game and have no link to any existing players that have retired from the game. Newgens tend to get created around the same time older players retire from the game but there is no link between the data of the two groups.

- I'm not sure why OP would prefer the grey virtual players over newgens. Both are as "unrealistic" since neither are based on the real life DB and both kind of players are generated by the game. Both type of players appear in matches and the difference is that the newgen players stick around in the game to have a career, whereas grey virtuals are just emergency placeholders to fill empty teams when needed.

I preferred the grey players because - as you say - they don't develop during the game, and other clubs won't sign them. At a club with a lot of newgens you also have to pay those, train those etc., and grey players won't attract the interest of scouts. Although I've noticed this has improved in comparison to least year's edition, I still discovered some very hot yet fake prospects in lower and premier divisions alike that immediately attracted the interest of top clubs. That's why in my opinion newgens affect the 'realism' significantly more than the traditional 'grey' virtuals.

I presume the current newgen solution is SI's definite policy, but perhaps it would be interesting to include the possibílity of choosing the old solution (similar to the new tick/untick option 'Add key staff')?

• SI Staff

If you leave the "add key staff" unticked when starting a new game, there will be less newgens created at the start as empty teams will not get older newgens generated to fill the squad and only their possible youth squad is filled. This will result in the starting DB being as close to the actual DB as possible with as little newgens added as possible (only youth teams of active clubs get newgens if they are short on players).

We are looking to add more control over this in the future (not in patches though) so you can have a separate option for adding players at the game start.

If you leave the "add key staff" unticked when starting a new game, there will be less newgens created at the start as empty teams will not get older newgens generated to fill the squad and only their possible youth squad is filled. This will result in the starting DB being as close to the actual DB as possible with as little newgens added as possible (only youth teams of active clubs get newgens if they are short on players).

We are looking to add more control over this in the future (not in patches though) so you can have a separate option for adding players at the game start.

That's great to hear - it may not show from this thread, but I do know quite a few longtime fans who'd enjoy that. (And actually I did leave the 'add key staff' option unticked, but thank you for the advice nonetheless!:thup:)

• SI Staff

The main problem with allowing users to disable the addition of newgens to youth teams for example, is that long term the game will try to maintain the same number of players in the game world as there was at the start. So if you have loads of empty teams (main teams or youth teams) at the start of the game and you don't wish for these to be filled with real players, you are going to have a lot of empty teams in the future as well because the overall number of players will stay at around the same level.

The main problem with allowing users to disable the addition of newgens to youth teams for example, is that long term the game will try to maintain the same number of players in the game world as there was at the start. So if you have loads of empty teams (main teams or youth teams) at the start of the game and you don't wish for these to be filled with real players, you are going to have a lot of empty teams in the future as well because the overall number of players will stay at around the same level.

Oh, I certainly can see why regens are useful in the long run, but during the first (or even first two) seasons their addition doesn't seem a necessity. I'm quite sure there's a group of (possibly older:) ) FM-fans who prefer realism and completeness over gaming speed - meaning loading as many leagues as technically possible, and proceeding at a slower tempo while checking many scores and clubs. As someone stated above, some enjoy playing and scouting in the 'real' football realm far more than just racing through the seasons. I for one definitely do. I also don't see the fun in signing a spectacular talent, that turns out to be fake. Surely not every gamer shares that vision, and as said I understand the purpose of newgens in long-term games, but I do think some fans would like to have the mere option to disable the creation of newgens, or at least to be able to introduce them more gradually.

• SI Staff

If we get an option in for next year to control the generation of newgen players at the start of the game to fill empty teams (both main and youth) it would only ever affect the first season.

I do understand your preference for realism and completeness but you also need to consider the fact that once you play one season in the game, the youngest generation of players (16 year olds at the start) will be one year older and the next batch of 16 year olds (and the next one year after that...) needs to be created by the game, otherwise the game world will be missing whole generations of players :)

If we get an option in for next year to control the generation of newgen players at the start of the game to fill empty teams (both main and youth) it would only ever affect the first season.

I do understand your preference for realism and completeness but you also need to consider the fact that once you play one season in the game, the youngest generation of players (16 year olds at the start) will be one year older and the next batch of 16 year olds (and the next one year after that...) needs to be created by the game, otherwise the game world will be missing whole generations of players :)

That sounds absolutely reasonable:thup:.:)

I can understand why the OP wouldn't want regens to come through in the first season, but new players come through the youth academy every year at clubs, and since FM doesn't have 13-14 year olds in the game ready to step into the under 18 squads, newgens are the only way of replicating this.....

Archived