Dedicated Server

It doesnt have to be SI that run them - they should be run by third parties - also there wouldn't be thousands as there would be a limit to the number of people.

The fact is on steam playing online is very central, most of the other big games have multiplayer at the core especially Counter Strike Source and Left4Dead. It would be a great addition if FM made it to that list, and as I said above it would encourage people who never gave it a though to play online.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

With FML closing wouldn't it be an idea for SI to maybe rent servers for people to create large online games themselves, obviously it would be a costly thing to do, but there is potential in my opinion.

I for one would rent a server if i knew i could create a large network game with 10 people plus, the ability to play the SPL (for example) with every team been humanly controlled would be fantastic.

they've had their fingers burnt with FML so why would they put any more money out doing anything with dedicated servers and online play?

We already run a pretty successful FMO game in its current format over on OTF with around 20 users, you just have to accept that the speed is going to be quite slow, as with everybody vying for players and scouting at the same time, trying to do contracts etc

i think the problem with this kinda thing and the problem FML ran into is, FM requires all users to be on all the time to make it worth while, you could host your own server, but can you guarantee the same 10/12 people being on at the same time every week? If not it becomes pointless really because you end up playing AI teams anyway, just at a much slower rate. With most other online games all it requires is a certain number of people to be on at once, but this doesnt really work with FM. Shame really because having a full human team playing the SPL or other smaller leagues would be amazing fun.

I'm all for a dedicated server, SI have proven to be king of failures with regards to doing a live version of football manager, the dedicated server option would be ideal for a game like this.

• 2 weeks later...
i think the problem with this kinda thing and the problem FML ran into is, FM requires all users to be on all the time to make it worth while, you could host your own server, but can you guarantee the same 10/12 people being on at the same time every week? If not it becomes pointless really because you end up playing AI teams anyway, just at a much slower rate. With most other online games all it requires is a certain number of people to be on at once, but this doesnt really work with FM. Shame really because having a full human team playing the SPL or other smaller leagues would be amazing fun.

FML was a different game though. The point of a dedicated server is so that people can run the game on services that are widely available. Try running a network game in the UK - upload speeds mean that everyone connected to the host have a massive amount of lag unless you have decent upload speeds.

I'm all for a dedicated server, SI have proven to be king of failures with regards to doing a live version of football manager, the dedicated server option would be ideal for a game like this.

and its not like SI dont have any spare servers lieing around idle from the end of May is it

Archived