Do career games eat more memory?

Just wondering. I'd have thought it would remain about the same as the game progresses and regens replace the original players. Stats and records etc might account for more ram tho?

I'm wondering if I am going to get to season 2020 and start hitting the page file or if it will stick within its current limits give or take 10-15%?

Hey, Les Girondins, long time no chat! How ya been?

My understanding is that a career game does eat more memory as it contiunes on, to the point that you can cross that "tipping point" and start page-swapping to virtual memory (hard drive :: slow) if you were close to it to begin with.

Memory consumers include:

- Team history statistics for all active leagues and national teams

- Player statistics beyond the initial DB numbers

- Clickable matches from all "Playable" competitions

- More players in the game than there are with the initial config

. . . (As regens are no longer 1-to-1 replacements of existing players)

However, my experience is that you only cross that critical inflection point if your initial configuration is fairly close to the limit to begin with.

That's why I tend to aim for a config with maybe 15-20 leagues from 8-12 nations .. that's well within my machine's capabilities, so I'm pretty confident that my machine can run that almost indefinitely, but its still enough to give me a continued challenge in competitions like the Champions League. If I go with 7 leagues from 1 nation, I eventually reach a point where no club in the world can challenge me.

can i game become virtually unplayable after a few seasons?

Tehcnically it can, sure. But Amaroq is saying allow 30-50% system resources and it wont be an issue before you get bored and start over.

The game at creation of a new career shouldnt occupy more than half the available resource.

I usually find that a career game of about 800mb initially grows to around 1000mb after 10 seasons or so. So its not that bad.

Just refrain from loading loads of additional players, that really slays it. Loading leagues and nations etc is fine, but try to resist the urge to load up loads of players you will never sign and never use. :thup:

Tehcnically it can, sure. But Amaroq is saying allow 30-50% system resources and it wont be an issue before you get bored and start over.

The game at creation of a new career shouldnt occupy more than half the available resource.

I usually find that a career game of about 800mb initially grows to around 1000mb after 10 seasons or so. So its not that bad.

Just refrain from loading loads of additional players, that really slays it. Loading leagues and nations etc is fine, but try to resist the urge to load up loads of players you will never sign and never use. :thup:

So ideally, the way to go should be to run many leagues,but with a small database for example? that sounds good to me in theory,because what i really like is to have many leagues active.

So ideally, the way to go should be to run many leagues,but with a small database for example? that sounds good to me in theory,because what i really like is to have many leagues active.

Well right now its not working as I am used to it working; traditionally I would load most of the leagues, excepting asia and the far east and most of south america.

I'd then refrain from loading additional players - just go with the 90, 000 or so it starts with.

The game would usually start out around 650mb and grow to around 1.1gb over many seasons.

But this year it seems to explode to 1gb within no time. *shrug

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's inevitable that the longer a game has, the more data is involved and therefore the slower the game will run.

I was hoping SI could one day implement some smart memory usage system that dumped less-popular or old data (i.e. if I don't look at the Serie C2 teams very often) onto backing storage - i.e. hard drives - freeing up that bit of memory. Such data would also be not loaded when the game is loaded up again - the game just loads up the most "popular" data. If a user then looks at some "unpopular" data, the game will read it from backing storage (this will have a performance hit), although it may not actually still load it into RAM (unless, of course, this "unpopular" data becomes "popular" - i.e. you get relegated to that level). Where the data is read from, though, is very agnostic to the actual game (it can't be fully agnostic because where it loads from is dependent on how often a user visits that data in-game). That way we could drop the memory footprint right down and constrain reads and writes to a single one-off cost every now and then.

One example that is good is history statistics - there's no need to store all of that in memory, since previous seasons' data is static - it can't be changed, since you can't go back in time. So dumping all these into a database that is read from backing storage (albeit more slowly) whenever a rare history lookup is done will save memory for a very slight performance dip.

Archived