Please SI - how important are roles?

Early days, but testing the game I seem to have discovered that roles are very, very important. To expand, my ML (a defensively minded player) was set to default "winger", he had a 6.5 rating in a competitive cup game against lower level opposition. It seemed obvious, when I realised, that "defensive winger" was more appropriate so I switched his role. Within 5 games mins he had a 7.5 rating!!!!

This is all stating the tactically obvious really it seems now, but pre wizard days, to me, the slider tweaking necessary would not have made this point so obvious - so I ask SI, providing they dont conflict within the overall team formation, are "roles" real tactic maker & breakers?

And if you wonder why I ask, my experience of using FM09 (and before) positional pre-sets was not good - the roles seem, well, just "awesome"!.

Forget the FM09 positional presets, the tactics wizard is completely different. It's not just a static preset like before, but it's a dynamic system that adapts the role and the rest of the team to basically 'make sense', if you get what I mean. Changing a role to focus on a players strengths is obviously going to make him play better, but also, it can affect the rest of your team. For example, if you were getting overrun in midfield, having a defensive winger help out will improve your overall team play and lead on to your winger to getting a higher rating.

Forget the FM09 positional presets, the tactics wizard is completely different. It's not just a static preset like before, but it's a dynamic system that adapts the role and the rest of the team to basically 'make sense', if you get what I mean. Changing a role to focus on a players strengths is obviously going to make him play better, but also, it can affect the rest of your team. For example, if you were getting overrun in midfield, having a defensive winger help out will improve your overall team play and lead on to your winger to getting a higher rating.

Good educational answer!, and much as I thought, i guess. 1.0 point rating improvement in 5 game mins though...wow!

Archived