Cannot play due to Steam... Poor SI

When you stated that there were two install options, you never mentioned that we would be obliged, if we installed the game via Steam, to continuously play the game via Steam subsequently.

Right now, Steam won't open up (I get the following error: Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll) and I can't play Football Manager 2010. I already had to undergo a cumbersome install process, but now I can oNLY play FM10 through Steam, which isn't working... and which seems very patchy as it updates itself at least once a day...

This was another poor marketing decision and I feel manipulated as the obligations to Steam are far greater than we were told they would be.

No offence but if you'd used Steam before then you would know you need it running to play all games you installed via it. Sounds like you just need Steam re-installing/repairing which surely isnt a long job?

Last year you could play FM 09 without needing to run Steam after installing via it.

Last year you could play FM 09 without needing to run Steam after installing via it.

Mine always launched via Steam when i installed it via Steam, although if i selected offline mode in Steam it didnt connect to the Steam service if this is what you mean?

That's exactly what I did last year... I am more annoyed that they kept talking about a mere 'install' via Steam when clearly the obligations are far greater than that... Not to mention that Steam updates itself constantly so if I am without internet connection I am in big trouble!

I only downloaded Steam for FM, all other games install normally, I will admit I was tempted by the extras offered, but the fact that every time I click on FM2010 and I have to wait for Steam to load the game, i find that unacceptable and deliberate misinformation of customer by SI.

I am sorry I don't normally moan, but I am a player since 97/98 and am very busy with work commitments and it is a shame the little free time I get to be wasted on such an unfortunate incident.

That's exactly what I did last year... I am more annoyed that they kept talking about a mere 'install' via Steam when clearly the obligations are far greater than that... Not to mention that Steam updates itself constantly so if I am without internet connection I am in big trouble!

I only downloaded Steam for FM, all other games install normally, I will admit I was tempted by the extras offered, but the fact that every time I click on FM2010 and I have to wait for Steam to load the game, i find that unacceptable and deliberate misinformation of customer by SI.

I am sorry I don't normally moan, but I am a player since 97/98 and am very busy with work commitments and it is a shame the little free time I get to be wasted on such an unfortunate incident.

Doesnt take long to load Steam really, switch it to offline mode then it wont do the updates, but i think you wont receive the game updates then either.

I had issues with Steam as well but the FAQ created by Aim Less really helped me and my game is now running without any issues FWIW. You should give it a read. And Steam will switch to offline mode if you're not connected to the internet so you can still play FM.

No offence but if you'd used Steam before then you would know you need it running to play all games you installed via it. Sounds like you just need Steam re-installing/repairing which surely isnt a long job?

If that is so how come I played FM09 and FM10 in offline mode, i.e. NOT connected to the internet.

If that is so how come I played FM09 and FM10 in offline mode, i.e. NOT connected to the internet.

Exactly but even in offline mode Steam still loads, it just doesnt connect to anything. I thought he was getting at that last year he could install it with Steam but then not need Steam at all to play, i.e. not even needing it open in offline mode

The great thing is that my PC won't let me uninstall FM2010 as Steam cannot open!

And I did look through the FAQ, played around with the Firewalls a bit but with no success, I have never had to go to my 'Firewalls' before ever, and don't understand why I have to now because of a deliberately misinformed SI imposing the use of a programme on us.

Again, I am not very good with computers, and I do think you are being harsh on me, as the whole point is that SI has deliberately misinformed its customers of using an external application by using some testimonials/accomplishments as bait.

The great thing is that my PC won't let me uninstall FM2010 as Steam cannot open!

And I did look through the FAQ, played around with the Firewalls a bit but with no success, I have never had to go to my 'Firewalls' before ever, and don't understand why I have to now because of a deliberately misinformed SI imposing the use of a programme on us.

Again, I am not very good with computers, and I do think you are being harsh on me, as the whole point is that SI has deliberately misinformed its customers of using an external application by using some testimonials/accomplishments as bait.

Fair enough if you're not very computer literate, will it not let you re-install the game outside of Steam at all then? To be honest I've had Steam for awhile and never had any problems like this involving firewalls etc.

why didn't you buy the DVD then?

I did, I purchased a boxed version of the game... when installing, it prompted me of the advantages of 'installing via the internet', without informing me of the obligations I would have to take on as well!! I was duped by SI's corporate wh*ring policies!

On FM09, I created a shortcut on my desktop from the location steam installed FM to (something like Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Football Manager 2009/) and ran the game from there, and you could play without having to use steam. Don't know if it would work for FM10 too as I bought boxed version this year, but would be worth trying.

I did, I purchased a boxed version of the game... when installing, it prompted me of the advantages of 'installing via the internet', without informing me of the obligations I would have to take on as well!! I was duped by SI's corporate wh*ring policies!

Uninstall, reinstall using the DVD and you wont need Steam

On FM09, I created a shortcut on my desktop from the location steam installed FM to (something like Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Football Manager 2009/) and ran the game from there, and you could play without having to use steam. Don't know if it would work for FM10 too as I bought boxed version this year, but would be worth trying.

I have a shortcut on my desktop, which is what I click every time I want to play, but even the shortcut prompts Steam to open first and then opens the game through Steam.

Anyhow, I have uninstalled and will have to go through the process of re-installing, re-install patch, re-install logos.. but it is my fault for being tempted by SI's 'eggs'... I guess it's obvious you should never trust a corporation!

I have a shortcut on my desktop, which is what I click every time I want to play, but even the shortcut prompts Steam to open first and then opens the game through Steam.

Anyhow, I have uninstalled and will have to go through the process of re-installing, re-install patch, re-install logos.. but it is my fault for being tempted by SI's 'eggs'... I guess it's obvious you should never trust a corporation!

Bit harsh really, as with any application you're being asked to install you should research into it first before blindly installing it. What the others mean is if you go to that folder location they stated you should be able to create a new shortcut and use that to run the game without Steam, i dont know if it works though as im still waiting for my FM2010.

Exactly but even in offline mode Steam still loads, it just doesnt connect to anything. I thought he was getting at that last year he could install it with Steam but then not need Steam at all to play, i.e. not even needing it open in offline mode

Yes, that's what I was referring to ,and the OP was referring to that as well.

When you stated that there were two install options, you never mentioned that we would be obliged, if we installed the game via Steam, to continuously play the game via Steam subsequently.

Right now, Steam won't open up (I get the following error: Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll) and I can't play Football Manager 2010. I already had to undergo a cumbersome install process, but now I can oNLY play FM10 through Steam, which isn't working... and which seems very patchy as it updates itself at least once a day...

This was another poor marketing decision and I feel manipulated as the obligations to Steam are far greater than we were told they would be.

dude, you can simply double click on the fm.exe steam version instead of actually the steam application on your desktop

I got 09 via steam and it worked fine but steam+the game took up a ton of space on my C drive. It sounds like I may have to install the disc via steam as well. I've heard there are a lot of issues with people's dvd-roms trying to read the disc.

it's quite simple. Installg ame without steam, register game on steam. once that's done, you dont need to use the dvd anymore and you can simply just double click on fm.exe that will be created by steam. you have no need to touch the steam logo on your desktop at any point

Why have you been manipulated, if you bothered to read anything about Steam or the Steam obligations before setup you may have taken a different route when installing, dont blame someone else if you cannot be bothered. I bought the DVD and have the DVD in the drive when I play, its not because I don't like Steam I have used it many times I just made a decision based on all the facts before me.

How else would have liked SI and SEGA to release the game, some people will not be happy until the DVD case comes with a SI representative to install, setup and patch the game for you.

it's quite simple. Installg ame without steam, register game on steam. once that's done, you dont need to use the dvd anymore and you can simply just double click on fm.exe that will be created by steam. you have no need to touch the steam logo on your desktop at any point

I have tried to do as you say, and it's not working so I assume I am doing something wrong. I have installed FM without steam, then I have downloaded and installed Steam, opened an account and registered FM using the code on the back of the manual. Whenever I try and run FM through steam it tries to install it and if I double click the FM shortcut for my original install then I do get the "need your CD" message.

I have three computers and want to have FM on all of them, I regularly used to play two games on two machines at the same time. I want to do this again without using steam and without buying the game again! Tried copying the DVD but that doesnt work.

It doesn't not look too difficult. Your steam is broken. Download it again and re-install. That will recover your data.

The simplest thing would be to put your DVD ( you said you had a DVD box ) back in the drive, re-install it ( use the setup exe in the dvd drive directory ) and when asked for your installation method choose offline. Than play with the DVD in the drive. There is very little that can't be fixed if you just try. Complaining has just left you in the same position.

I have tried to do as you say, and it's not working so I assume I am doing something wrong. I have installed FM without steam, then I have downloaded and installed Steam, opened an account and registered FM using the code on the back of the manual. Whenever I try and run FM through steam it tries to install it and if I double click the FM shortcut for my original install then I do get the "need your CD" message.

I have three computers and want to have FM on all of them, I regularly used to play two games on two machines at the same time. I want to do this again without using steam and without buying the game again! Tried copying the DVD but that doesnt work.

yes, you are doing somethng wrong. When I registered FM through steam (mind you this was after I played preseason), steam actually downloaded the game for me aswell (maybe a 2nd version on my pc I dont know) and it creasted a shortcut for fm also. I use this shortcut and now it doesnt ask me for the cd ever again.

find the exe file that steam created in it's games folder and make a desktop shortcut of that. This will require no DVD to play and no steam client.

Should be C:\Program Files\Steam\steam\games or similar ( not used steam in years )

I was trying to point out that having steam running in the background isnt important in any shape or form - it uses almost ZERO system resources - its not collecting data about you and sending it back to major league baseball (a cookie to anyone who gets that referance.)

Some people have this insane random issue with steam running - im trying to point out it doesnt matter in any shape or form.

The Ops issue is that his steam wont work - well all he has to do is re-install it and it will.

I was trying to point out that having steam running in the background isnt important in any shape or form - it uses almost ZERO system resources - its not collecting data about you and sending it back to major league baseball (a cookie to anyone who gets that referance.)

Some people have this insane random issue with steam running - im trying to point out it doesnt matter in any shape or form.

The Ops issue is that his steam wont work - well all he has to do is re-install it and it will.

the problem you seem to have when you post is you fail to let people know who the post is directed towards

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=156429

First easy fix For most problems :

Certain Steam issues may be corrected by renaming the ClientRegistry.blob and restarting Steam.

Completely exit from the Steam client.

Go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).

Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.

Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.

This fixes most common problems like crashes and errors with the steam client

Did you try this?

If it fails try uninstalling Steam. Then it's upto you if you want to re-install it or just install without it.

There was plenty of information about Steam and how it will work this year before the game was released.

i own the disc , have registered the code with steam ... i am buying a new computer today , can i just install it on the new one? do i have to uninstall it on the old one, will my validation code from the box work ? will i need a new steam account ??

Archived