Activation - sorry if this has been asked but I have looked

I decided that I didn't want steam on my computer so used the offline mode. I thought you would be able to put the activation code in at some point and play without the CD in the drive even without steam. I guess I was wrong.

I buy the game every year cos I am a massive fan of the series but I like to let my housemate install it on his machine too. This seems fine but we dont want to install steam on our computers and we normally play the game at the same time. Is there any way we can both activate it so that we dont need the disc in the drive and we dont have to use steam?

We did last year

Thanks

How is that illegal? So you are saying that since last year (where they allowed 5 licences) I am now doing something illegal by trying to add the game to another computer in my own house that happens to be the one that my housemate uses???

Load of old tosh.

Right then is there any way I can install via steam even though my game is already installed without? And I dont want to lose my saved game.

I guess it would be a case of copying the saved game, uninstalling the whole game and reinstalling it through steam then I can put my game back in the game folder and resume

Right then is there any way I can install via steam even though my game is already installed without? And I dont want to lose my saved game.

I guess it would be a case of copying the saved game, uninstalling the whole game and reinstalling it through steam then I can put my game back in the game folder and resume

Yeah, save a back-up of your game to use in future installs of game ! you'll need the code from booklet if installing via steam i believe but you probs know that and that you don't need it for disk install !

Djwilk06 - Why the hell would I use all 5 seats. I doubt anyone could be done in a court of law if they used the game on 2 different machines in the SAME house even if one of them is not your property. The way I look at it is that I had 5 seats and as long as i only use them in my own home then I am fine. If I started giving them out to my mate in Qatar then I would be in trouble.

I think people need to use the common sense that god dishes out (not in equal proportions it would seem)

Djwilk06 - Why the hell would I use all 5 seats. I doubt anyone could be done in a court of law if they used the game on 2 different machines in the SAME house even if one of them is not your property. The way I look at it is that I had 5 seats and as long as i only use them in my own home then I am fine. If I started giving them out to my mate in Qatar then I would be in trouble.

I think people need to use the common sense that god dishes out (not in equal proportions it would seem)

What you refer to is appliccable to FM09 only, it does not matter for this year. Miles stated in the DRM sticky thread that this year there are no seats or licences. The offline installation requires for the CD to be in the drive. So effectively that is one license per installation. To install it on another PC means you are requiring another license for another player or 'seat'

It's not illegal to install it on any amount of machines. It is, under the terms and conditions 'unlawful' which is a civil matter.

Most software companies agree that you can install a program, with permission on a PC, a laptop and sometimes a further PC in the same household but not always.

To be fair in this case if his mate wants to play it his mate ought to buy it.

The simple answer is install it on Steam on one PC and install it offline on the other and use the CD in that. It's not rocket science ( and yes I see he does not want to use steam but short of paying for it again that is his option )

If God was something I believed in then I most certainly would agree with you, as you seem unable to grasp that ONE copy of the game is for YOUR use only not for you and your friend(s).

Of course last year the seat system was easily abused and you could get away with installing it on your own and 4 friends computers, this year it is not so easy, but can still be gotten around.

I'm lucky enough to have 2 PC's and 2 laptops in my house so I could have used 4 of the 5 seats, as it is I only use 1 laptop and 1 PC.

Archived