Football Manager 2010 review

I usually play Fifa Manager but I wanted to try out football manager since a lot of people say its better. Its my 1st time playing this game and after half a season, here are the strong and weak points of the game, feel free to add more o:

cons and pros:

+Impressive database from national team's coach name to accurate player attributes.

+Realistic transfer system, player actually tell you the amount of wage they desire or the deal is not going to happen.

+Realistic player morale and behavior\thinking. Super star players in average teams will soon want to leave for a bigger club and its just matter of time before it happens.

+Good match engine and gameplay. Players play the way you want them to.

+Extensive tactics and strategy. Need to have some understanding of football before coaching otherwise even Barcelona can lose to average teams.

+Realistic football world environment. Makes you feel like a real manager.

- Extremely out-dated 3d graphics. Have to read the comments to know what exactly happened.

- 3d match soon gets boring and repetitive. Would be more realistic if better animations were added such as dribbling moves, other types of shooting, etc.

- Press conference too repetitive and annoying.

- Not very user-friendly, specially for beginners and football newbies.

Well, thats all I can think of. I think the biggest letdown is the boring match engine. I actually had more fun viewing players, signing youngters, talking to my team, etc. My football IQ even went up a bit although I've watched footie since i was like 6. Yes, FIfa Manager is not even close to the realistic this game provides (I was Benfica in Fifa and managed to buy Messi because he was free transfer, lol?) but the stadiums, kits, player pictures, and graphics makes it much more entertaining to watch a game. Seeing C.Ronaldo dribbling through 2 of your defenders is great. And Fifa's 3d gameplay can always be tweaked for a better game.

In the end, I would give this game a 8\10 simply because its database its sooo real and up to date. This game would definitely be the greatest footie manager if 3D match is improved, i mean after all that buying and talking to players, you want to see the next Messi dribble realistically instead of crappy robotic running, cant even see how he lost the ball.

Unfortunately FIFA Managers graphics will alway be better than FMs. Its because while FM has focused on realism, FIFA Manager has been working on looking good. Also, EA have licenses, so can include player likenesses, whereas FM could only do this for a very select bunch of players (Dutch and US Leagues). Also, FIFA Manager is very resource intensive. You need a high end PC, whereas FM will run on just about any PC. This means that FM has a wider market, and SI won't rule out sales by upping the specs.

how can the matches be borning .....just because of the graphics . and you said repetitive? wtf in real life the press don't ask a 100,00 new question each match , they ask the same man its football they don't ask what colour shirt you have, FM press ask's the questions that are relevant and that is ask more frequently

EA and Fifa is a well known big international game community , they have staff that can do 3D graphics , that FM can never do , not compare FIFA graphics with FM. fifa has been doing 3D since 98 . FM started at 2009 .

EA and Fifa is a well known big international game community , they have staff that can do 3D graphics , that FM can never do , not compare FIFA graphics with FM. fifa has been doing 3D since 98 . FM started at 2009 .

Yes, I completely understand graphics will never be as good as Fifa. EA have much larger funds. But for a game released in 2010 the art looks like a game made in 1995 from the Atari. Do you remember Virtual Soccer? that was back in 1998 and having that art work in this game shouldn't be hard. I guess this version is an improvement since 2 years ago it was just dots running... again, I'm not saying this game is bad at all, its actually really good.

I guess this version is an improvement since 2 years ago it was just dots running... again, I'm not saying this game is bad at all, its actually really good.

For all the work that goes into the 3D (and I do use it to watch replays of my goals), I'm still a fan of the 2D Classic mode. One can become very attached to those little dots, running around with your emotions, dictating the kind of week you're going to have.

What you have to remember is that this is only Football Managers 2nd season at trying a 3D match engine and tbh is pretty dam good compared to the old 2D dots we had for years, another thing is Fifa has been perfecting their graphics/game engine for years can you remember playing Fifa International Soccer back on the mega drive in 1994 cause I can infact here have a blast from the past

you see it wasn`t always about ground breaking graphics, so graphics are not everything in a management game as you can also see in my first management game Football Manager 2 in 1988 http://www.giantbomb.com/football-manager-2/61-2662/screenshots/52-24907/football_manager_ii_2/51-899553/?offset=5.

So when I see FM trying the new 3D ME today and people slagging it off or saying its not good enough its usually people that have knew no better than to have next gen graphics, I say good on you SI for trying to take the game that bit further, I can assure everyone that PaulC and us beta testers spend many hours trying to get the ME right, also with the feedback and help of us loyal fans of the FM series we can make this game better every year.:thup:

i personally dont think its a particularly great game after giving it a go now

not fond of the standard ai keepers having blinding games and then the ai teams scoring their 1 chance of the match on a regular basis it seems

pretty unrewarding game that's probably killed off any good feeling i had for the series

ah well, im getting too old to stare at spreadsheets and one of the worst graphical representations of football since the amiga day

i personally dont think its a particularly great game after giving it a go now

not fond of the standard ai keepers having blinding games and then the ai teams scoring their 1 chance of the match on a regular basis it seems

pretty unrewarding game that's probably killed off any good feeling i had for the series

ah well, im getting too old to stare at spreadsheets and one of the worst graphical representations of football since the amiga day

The games you would like is FIFA manager :thup:, buy its out now

Its not so much a massive success but another step in the right direction mate, I think the problem lies were people expect next gen graphics after SI said we are going 3D, I would rather see my team on the pitch and see where I am going wrong than see some dots sliding back and forward on a screen in 2D so we have to accept that the FM series is going through a transitional period from 2D to 3D and it will take time not just 1-2 years but a few before it is flawless.:thup:

Its not so much a massive success but another step in the right direction mate, I think the problem lies were people expect next gen graphics after SI said we are going 3D, I would rather see my team on the pitch and see where I am going wrong than see some dots sliding back and forward on a screen in 2D so we have to accept that the FM series is going through a transitional period from 2D to 3D and it will take time not just 1-2 years but a few before it is flawless.:thup:

You are telling me with today's technology, SI best 3D graphics is the one we see? There is even no need to change anything else, with better graphics this game would destroy Fifa Manager in one knock-out. People only buy Fifa Manager because they want to see Messi and company dribble more realistically, slide tackle, shoot, etc. Their database is **** but 3D is good enough to enjoy a game of football.

You are telling me with today's technology, SI best 3D graphics is the one we see? There is even no need to change anything else, with better graphics this game would destroy Fifa Manager in one knock-out. People only buy Fifa Manager because they want to see Messi and company dribble more realistically, slide tackle, shoot, etc. Their database is **** but 3D is good enough to enjoy a game of football.

The reason the FM graphics don't compare so well to FIFA's is that the database and the amount of processing power that goes into running the game is pretty big, whereas FIFA's isn't. The trade off is fine by me, I'd rather play a realistic, well designed game than play with something shiny with no substance (not saying that you would or wouldn't either way, just stating my opinion). Also, as has already been mentioned, the staff are only in their second year of making the game run with 3D and it will obviously improve over time as the standard of home computers improves.

but 3D is good enough to enjoy a game of football.

As a former FIFA Manager player also (til 08, this is my first FM) I beg to differ. I like the simple 3d. It loads really fast and I see what I have to see from the players. There is also more variety in gameplay situations. The seamless integration is a blast. It's so wonderful to watch immediately the Highlights from every match in your league with just one click.

Im happy with the improvement of the 3D match-engine within one year. It's the right way to build the 3D-mode around a well working match-engine. It's right that the 3D-Mode of FIFA-Manager looks better, but at all the FIFA-Engine is outdated (bad looking Textures and small amount of polygons) too. Here in germany it's every year the same procedure: the community developes game-play-patches to improve the match-engine of FIFA-Manager. But in the end it doesn't really help because the engine is crap. And crap is crap even if it's good looking. Im sure that SI is going to improve the 3D-mode step by step and in 2 years we will have a further improved and polished 3D-match-engine.

I am a former Fifa manager player (although haven't bought one for a few years) as well as player manager and premier manager, however once I was introduced to FM I have never looked back. The FM series appeal is the realism it brings, it makes you feel like you are a manager. If that means the graphics are considered old and sub par I dont have a problem with that. The realism of the series is what makes it so special what other management game even comes close to FM?

I'l second u anyday mate...I tried playing FIfa manager and got bored after 2-3 seasons..its nice to look at but its useless....i played 30 odd seasons each on Fm09 and 08.../.FM rocks...!! Keep it goin guys!!

i wish they could sort the press conferences out like they have new people coming into the game why cant the press give new questions or ask different ones

i like the press conference for a new player but its just the same questions in a different order

Yes, I completely understand graphics will never be as good as Fifa. EA have much larger funds. But for a game released in 2010 the art looks like a game made in 1995 from the Atari. Do you remember Virtual Soccer? that was back in 1998 and having that art work in this game shouldn't be hard. I guess this version is an improvement since 2 years ago it was just dots running... again, I'm not saying this game is bad at all, its actually really good.

Well, SI is always trying to improve its graphics as the years go by. Who knows that maybe in the future, the graphics in FM would be similar or even better than FIFA Manger!!

the fact that you got messi on a free to benfica is why FM is a better game, if you want a game that has focused on graphics and no realism then buy FIFA or FIFA manager, if you want a great manager game then stick to Football Manager as FIFA Manager will never have the realism that we have now!

I agree completly the 3D is going in the right direction and i am sure will improve year on year. The one suggestion i would make is the plain green colour outside the stadiums. a few years ago FIFA manager used a generic wide view cityscape and I believe it would be reasonably simple for SI to put something like this in future games

I completely disagree with the Thread author, who said that the 3D match engine would be boring to watch.

As I have played the FIFA manager for several years in the past (did not buy the 2010 version though), I think that THEIR game representation is boring to watch. Why? Because there is not much variation between the games when I watch them. Every match looks the same regarding the moves that are played on the field. Of course, the graphical look is better than in FM. But I want to see Football, and not only a nice stadium where some bad KI guys are trying to play football within.

For example in FM I had a game yesterday where my goalkeeper played the ball with his hands outside the penalty area. He was lucky to only get a yellow card and a freekick was awarded to the opponent. I have never seen something similar happening in the FIFA manager...

As opposed to the OP I actually like the 3D graphics, you CAN see what happens just about but its not meant to be a graphical interface game, it's a management sim. If anything I can add that playing FIFA Manager gets boring after a while, as it seems to lack the depth of stats and history found in FM. Press conferences def need improvement, no doubt there but to say its not very user friendly is a JOKE. Come off it, how much more info for newbies do you want? I mean do you want a VISTA type menu asking you to check every single action you select to do? Its more than sufficient as it is, anymore and you seriously need to consider your IQ level :)

I completely disagree with the Thread author, who said that the 3D match engine would be boring to watch.

As I have played the FIFA manager for several years in the past (did not buy the 2010 version though), I think that THEIR game representation is boring to watch. Why? Because there is not much variation between the games when I watch them. Every match looks the same regarding the moves that are played on the field. Of course, the graphical look is better than in FM. But I want to see Football, and not only a nice stadium where some bad KI guys are trying to play football within.

For example in FM I had a game yesterday where my goalkeeper played the ball with his hands outside the penalty area. He was lucky to only get a yellow card and a freekick was awarded to the opponent. I have never seen something similar happening in the FIFA manager...

You cannot play Fifa manager with the default match configs, it just sucks. Download 3d match configs from others and you will see a huge improvement (no more stupid goalies, random back passes, dumb short passes, etc). Anyways, I just played fifa manager 2010 to see its match engine and it blows so hard, one of the worse in the series. Awaiting for a new config otherwise im playing football manager for life. By the way, do you guys watch the "full match" in 3D or "extended\key"? Full matches seriously are like 15-20 minutes long.

Archived