Foreign players

Just wandering, is it just me who is bothered about the number of foreign players i have in my team. Even the foreigners migt be better i liek to have a larger number of english players than foreign....Anyone else like me? or am i just bein silly (patriotic) ?

Just wandering, is it just me who is bothered about the number of foreign players i have in my team. Even the foreigners migt be better i liek to have a larger number of english players than foreign....Anyone else like me? or am i just bein silly (patriotic) ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saulty2805:

Just wandering, is it just me who is bothered about the number of foreign players i have in my team. Even the foreigners migt be better i liek to have a larger number of english players than foreign....Anyone else like me? or am i just bein silly (patriotic) ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just you, now stop crying and play the damn game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EA_mon_hello2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saulty2805:

Just wandering, is it just me who is bothered about the number of foreign players i have in my team. Even the foreigners migt be better i liek to have a larger number of english players than foreign....Anyone else like me? or am i just bein silly (patriotic) ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just you, now stop crying and play the damn game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi! He is not complaining, and definately not crying (as far as i can see), leave him alone. if you thought it was a winge, why come on and comment?!

Saulty - Yes, i get that too, i always try and sign predominatly from one country, 'try'. icon_wink.gif

If my youth team won't churn out good enough English players, I'll happily fill my team with foreigners.

Then again, I greatly dislike my home country and most of the people in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Then again, I greatly dislike my home country and most of the people in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_wink.gif nicest comment i've heard all day

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i liek to have a larger number of english players than foreign....Anyone else like me? or am i just bein silly (patriotic) ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to play this way too so its not just you.

Thanks for sticking up for me Cameron icon_wink.gif...no i am not crying, and not winging, i was just starting a discussion to see whether anyone else feels there are to many foreign players in there home country's leagues .. and if anyone trys to prevent the amount of foreign players.

Thanks again Cameron icon14.gif

i had more english players in my first team at arsenal by 2012, only walcott and lansbury were already there. i signed players like steven taylor, downing, bridge, glen johnson & ben foster as i can't stand the reality of so few english players at arsenal irl.

problem is, buying english players from other english teams is quite hard, as the prices asked for are usually 2 or 3 times more than the value. it's easier to buy a foreign player with similar abilities for a more reasonable price.

i'm not necessarily talking about buying man utd or chelsea players in particular, relegated blackburn wanted £12M for steven warnock (i was relegated liverpool).

You got relegated with Liverpool??? Let me guess, you've sold Xabi Alonso, Torres, Mascherano and nearly every other foreign player, just to sign some decent english youth playing alongside gerrard and pennant icon_smile.gif...

But I find it hard too, to buy players from the same league, so most of the times you have to sign foreign talent to keep up the quality.

nah, liverpool were relegated when i was only managing arsenal (to back-to-back titles), just two seasons after beating me by 1 point for the league. benitez was on the verge of getting sacked for nearly the whole season, but i wasn't declaring an interest when i was top of the league with arsenal... i only beat liverpool once in 3 seasons, helping them get relegated was satisfying. icon_biggrin.gif

anyway, the computer got them relegated, and by the time i added another manager, they had agreed deals away frm the club for nearly the whole squad. ironically, torres & gerrard had no intention of leaving and are still playing in the championship. agger stayed, reina left but carson also stayed. tbh, i bought replacements for xabi alonso & mascherano etc from french clubs. i'm not too bothered about english players at liverpool as much as arsenal. i might go back to that gamesave.

Personally as long as the team plays well, then I don't care how many foreign players are in the team. Heck, I even prefer having at least one far east Asian in the team like a South Korean or Japanese.

Its not my fault that England aren't producing the quality players which is badly needed in Top Class Football. As for LLM, English players are abundant.

its funny because i always look at the brazil,italy and spain u21 national side at the biggining of every season and look for good youngsters. however in the past 2 years two really good strikers have come up from england, brandy and carrol and i completly missed them. however i do have a few english players(about 3 in a team of 22)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by madog308:

its funny because i always look at the brazil,italy and spain u21 national side at the biggining of every season and look for good youngsters. however in the past 2 years two really good strikers have come up from england, brandy and carrol and i completly missed them. however i do have a few english players(about 3 in a team of 22) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Man. United manager, I really wanted Fraizer Campbell and Febian Brandy to develop into first-team players. But they just aren't doing. Fact is, English youngsters aren't good enough for my team. And I won't sacrifice success for some vague nationalistic notion. It is, after all, only a game. Not that I care in real life, either. English youngsters aren't technically gifted enough. And that requires a sea change at the roots of our game. No more fat, bald dads screaming at their sons to 'get stuck in' and 'ave 'em' and seeing those with a bit of skill and trickery as 'fairies'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

English youngsters aren't technically gifted enough. And that requires a sea change at the roots of our game. No more fat, bald dads screaming at their sons to 'get stuck in' and 'ave 'em' and seeing those with a bit of skill and trickery as 'fairies'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, or kids sat in front of their computers playing FM when they should be out using jumpers for goalposts? icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

English youngsters aren't technically gifted enough. And that requires a sea change at the roots of our game. No more fat, bald dads screaming at their sons to 'get stuck in' and 'ave 'em' and seeing those with a bit of skill and trickery as 'fairies'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, or kids sat in front of their computers playing FM when they should be out using jumpers for goalposts? icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

.. Or that. icon_biggrin.gif

It depends what level I'm playing at.

At the top, I will try and bring in a couple of foreign players as I start, just to address the perceived weaknesses in my squad. From then on in, I will try and buy players of the same nation, generally younger players, to build up a squad which the fans can be proud of. I will still bring in foreigners if they will bring a considerably improvement to my first team, in a position where I feel a player of the same nation won't be able to step up.

For example, at Villa, I have brought in a lot of young English players, but with Nigel Reo-Coker underperforming, and Isiah Osbourne not ready to fill his boots, I've brought in Miguel Veloso. Similarly, with Shakhtar, whilst I'm buying mostly Ukrainean players I've had to bring in Canobbio to add that flair as an AM that I just can't find amongst Ukrainean players.

At a lower level, such as Championship or League 1, I will try and bring in British players, and always players who have had experience of English football. I'm concerned about bringing in players who might not be adaptable, and quite like the idea of having a completely British starting XI (never quite works out this way completely).

On FM07 i took over Liverpool and created an all British squad within 3 seasons just to see how good an all British squad would be.

We won the treble!! It was actaully suprisingly enjoyable, maybe it was the Little Englander in me, but i really connected with that squad

I was recently hunting for young talent and my scouts found me a regen in league 2 who was a good prospect for a championship side. He's 21, CA is league 2 leading star and after negotiating with his club they wanted £275 for him (which I didn't pay, might do now if he's developed a bit more). Compare that with the two Belgian regens I found, both 18, both good prospects for a championship side. They cost with £3-5k each (plus a sell on fee) which says it all really. I have signed two players who have gone on to be England U-21 internationals though, one on a free one for £850k (value has since plummeted).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i liek to have a larger number of english players than foreign....Anyone else like me? or am i just bein silly (patriotic) ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to play this way too so its not just you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too

While I wouldn't say that I play to get home nation players, it's always in the back of my mind, and I sometimes look over my squad (with nations showing) and may whince if there are too many foreign players.

On my Hibernian game on FM07, where I went on to dominate the SPL and even won the Champions League, I was particularily proud with the amount of Scots I had in my squad. I had foreigners too, but a good majority of my squad was Scottish and/or British.

Generally I'm not that bothered by foreigners, but it's nice to have home talent, and I don't overlook it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was recently hunting for young talent and my scouts found me a regen in league 2 who was a good prospect for a championship side. He's 21, CA is league 2 leading star and after negotiating with his club they wanted £275 k k for him (which I didn't pay, might do now if he's developed a bit more). Compare that with the two Belgian regens I found, both 18, both good prospects for a championship side. They cost £3-5k each (plus a sell on fee) which says it all really. I have signed two players who have gone on to be England U-21 internationals though, one on a free, one for £850k (value has since plummeted). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like Arsene Wenger (not that I'm comparing myself to him in any way!) I refuse to pay a premium for English players. Why pay 30+ million for Micah Richards when you can get cheaper abroad. What I tend to do is buy in quality foreign players for my first team and set aside a budget for poaching good young English talent. That way I am investing in the future of English football

All I can say is that there is only one requirement I look for in players. Talent. And plenty of it. Few English players seem to fit the bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to see Mr Wenger on the forums at last!

Seriously though English players are severely overpriced

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by giblets_of_fire:

All I can say is that there is only one requirement I look for in players. Talent. And plenty of it. Few English players seem to fit the bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to see Mr Wenger on the forums at last!

Seriously though English players are severely overpriced </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although a Man. United fan, I'm actually an ardent admirer of Wenger. Though not necessarily for his graciousness!

What I like is that he won't be held to ransom over English players and has instead shown himself to be fantastic at finding overseas talent at a sensible price.

If I'm at a big club I will bring in a load of young British players to try and develop for the future. Along with some foreign youngsters, but I try not to overload my team with them - just the ones that my scouts think have very good potenial. When buying for the first team I will buy players that will do the job and who I feel are better value for money, which is normally the overseas players.

With smaller clubs I will always look to have a British squad, although with a few players from abroad. It all really comes down to what I can afford to get.

I'd like more English players, but they are very expensive.

I have three english squad players, no first-teamers.

I've signed 6 or 7 good english prospects in the last season or two, hopefully they will be in the first team before too long.

Archived