Are my wingers out of position?

Ok so I used to tactics manager to create my tactic. When it came to selecting the role of my AML and AMR I chose the option that says use wingers with their opposite foot for that side.

So for example use a Left Footed AMR.

Now as Arsenal manager this isn't a problem for the first team, I have Van Persie in the AMR position who is either footed, and Arshavin in the AML position who is right footed but can play AML.

The problem now comes when I want to play for example Merida, he is AML left footed, according to the tactics wizard because he is left footed I need to play him AMR for his role but this is only an 'orange' position for him.

So do I need players that can play on both wings competently but if they are left footed play them on the right. Or is it ok to play them out of position and it wont matter so long as I have that role?

Sorry if this isn't clear I've tried my best to explain what I mean, Anyone who has created a tactics with the same winger roles should understand what I mean.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

As you are Arsenal my guess is that you may have problems with this against the other Prem 'big 4' teams and against the big guns in European competitions. If I were you I'd get your wingers who are predominantly one footed retraining on a position on their weaker side, this should increase their wfa and solve your problem, although of course that is a rather long term solution as retraining to a new position may take a while.

Only done my friendlies so far so not tested it against tougher opposition but it seems to be doing well so far. It's just as you say I may struggle later. Especially if I need to rotate my squad or my wingers get injured. I would like to know how many real life wingers play on the opposite side to their strong foot assuming they can only use one foot with comfort.

A tip- in that role (Inside Forward), I find you're much better off setting them to "support".

It helps having them on their "wrong" side, but Ronaldo is probably the best inside forward in the world and he plays on the right wing 70% of the time. It won't matter if you have to use them on the "correct" side, they just won't be as devastating. I find that they effectively do the role of a normal winger, but with a few behavioural differences.

To mix it up even more, try putting the wingers on "swap position".

Archived