Help with memory (RAM)

yea - for desktop pcs where all you do is unbolt the side plate and slide in two more sticks of ram. All very simple.

Laptops are a very very different proposition. (unless its a mac, in which case take it to an apple store and they can slot a couple more sticks in about 20 seconds)

Maidel, no offense, but your talking complete and utter rubbish.

You can get laptop memory from any computer shop, and it's cheap.

What laptop do you have, then I can determine what memory you need.

Ram is simple to install too, just unscrew one screw then put it in. Simples. :D

For example, I typed in sodimm memory into Play.com. And...

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=so-dimm&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

¬_¬

Maidel, no offense, but your talking complete and utter rubbish.

You can get laptop memory from any computer shop, and it's cheap.

You CAN - however you do invalidate any warranty that PC came with by opening the case (unlike a desktop PC), secondly, laptop RAM is not the same as normal PC ram and especially with older lap tops, actually getting at the ram is horribly difficult because it can be squeezed in anywhere within the case (unlike in a destop where its almost always easily accessable.)

From experiance, its simply not worth the effort trying to update a laptop because often they were made with close to the maximum ram in the first place.

IF you are lucky and you have a laptop thats easy to upgrade, great, but make sure you know what you are doing before hand because if you dont, and you get it wrong - there is no comeback.

EDIT - the newer the laptop, the more luck and the easier it is to upgrade - but most 'modern' laptops have more than 450mb ram.

You CAN - however you do invalidate any warranty that PC came with by opening the case (unlike a desktop PC), secondly, laptop RAM is not the same as normal PC ram and especially with older lap tops, actually getting at the ram is horribly difficult because it can be squeezed in anywhere within the case (unlike in a destop where its almost always easily accessable.)

From experiance, its simply not worth the effort trying to update a laptop because often they were made with close to the maximum ram in the first place.

IF you are lucky and you have a laptop thats easy to upgrade, great, but make sure you know what you are doing before hand because if you dont, and you get it wrong - there is no comeback.

He's got 464mb or whatever of ram, he can have atleast 1gb. I have a really old Sony Vaio and that has a maximum capicity of 1gb and it's only got 128mb of ram in it at the moment.

So-dimm memory is actually cheaper than DDR2 computer memory at the moment, plus you can find it on ebay for real cheap. It's not hard unscrewing the back panel on the back of your laptop and replacing ram. It takes less than 1 minute.

You will only invalidate the warranty if it is still in warranty and judging by the amount of RAM it has chances are the warranty is long gone.

Many laptops have expansion area and can be upgraded.

But you can get some pretty decent spec laptops for about £200 these days.

He's got 464mb or whatever of ram, he can have atleast 1gb. I have a really old Sony Vaio and that has a maximum capicity of 1gb and it's only got 128mb of ram in it at the moment.

So-dimm memory is actually cheaper than DDR2 computer memory at the moment, plus you can find it on ebay for real cheap. It's not hard unscrewing the back panel on the back of your laptop and replacing ram. It takes less than 1 minute.

You will only invalidate the warranty if it is still in warranty and judging by the amount of RAM it has chances are the warranty is long gone.

All of that is true. However that assumes he has a laptop that is layed out like yours is (I had a laptop where I had to take the sodding diskdrive out in order to put the godamn ram in - bloody Time PCs...).

Also - you have to know what you are doing with it - as I said, its the warranty that stopped me from doing it when I had no idea what I was doing.

And, if like you said the warranty is long gone (mine has a 3 year warranty...) then the chances are he probably cant put much more ram in it!

Each to their own.

All of that is true. However that assumes he has a laptop that is layed out like yours is (I had a laptop where I had to take the sodding diskdrive out in order to put the godamn ram in - bloody Time PCs...).

Also - you have to know what you are doing with it - as I said, its the warranty that stopped me from doing it when I had no idea what I was doing.

Each to their own.

In this case, the warranty is long gone, so I would go through with it tbh.

Sometimes Windows doesn't recognise some of the ram, so it shows up as a funny number.

Thats what I thought - and pretty much proves my point.

That laptop has 512meg of ram and it cant even use all the ram it currently has - id say, that there is no point what so ever in putting more in - it wont recognise that either most likely.

Thats what I thought - and pretty much proves my point.

That laptop has 512meg of ram and it cant even use all the ram it currently has - id say, that there is no point what so ever in putting more in - it wont recognise that either most likely.

Nah, I don't mean it like that. lol

Nah, I don't mean it like that. lol

I know you didnt...

But the same sort of thing happens with 32bit vista at the moment. I have 4gig of ram - some programs only recognise it as having 3.(Something) gig of ram because 32bit vista cant actually use all of the 4gigs of ram.

I susspect his laptop is the same - what ever its running (windows ME/ Early XP) with an old motherboard probably cant use all of the ram.

WTF - hes running vista with 512meg of RAM????

I surprised he can even open a web browser.

EDIT - yes I know that was an over reaction - but vista really is a resource hungry operating system, even the basic version.

I know what you mean lol.

Windows 7 is currently using 973mb idle.

Wasnt windows 7 supposed to be this nice gentle operating system that doesnt affect your pc much and can be run on he most basic of net books...

I made my wife get a PC with 3gig of ram simply becasue of vista (if anything goes wrong or it goes slowly I have to fix it - so I made sure it would go quickly to save the hassle in advance...)

Do that, then buy the RAM from elsewhere (as it's cheaper, and most probably better.) :D

Well help the lad out mate if you know somewere cheaper then post a link, I never had a problem with this company, fast, reliable and the product I bought worked and to be honest for the sake of spending ages hunting for a cheaper supplier for the sake of a couple of quid, whats the point hardly massive savings.:D

Well help the lad out mate if you know somewere cheaper then post a link, I never had a problem with this company, fast, reliable and the product I bought worked and to be honest for the sake of spending ages hunting for a cheaper supplier for the sake of a couple of quid, whats the point hardly massive savings.:D

Can't help him out until I find out what memory he needs :p

Archived