Running without steam

Tried to check the stickies but can't see this answered if it is apologies.

Last year there was an ability to install fm through steam but then go into the steamapps folder and create a shortcut to the fm folder in there and placing it on the desktop which allowed you to run fm without having to go through steam.

Yes i know you can install the game without steam but i find it easier to do it for the patches etc. Is there anyway to do the same process as last year? i've already tried but this time it still runs steam.

right click on name of game in steam then create desktop shortcut. Steam still runs but thats not an issue for me but you can start the game from the shortcut on yer desktop withotu going into steam

All that does it start steam automatically and then start the game, it doesn't stop steam from starting

An option is to manually close the steam process after launching the game

I bought the DVD version and tried to install without steam as I like to play on train to work and sometimes it won't load if Steam is offline.

I installed without steam but have not been able to apply the update patch- downloaded it separatey and it keeps freezing on 26%

So basically either I have to play the DVD version without Steam with no Patch, or I can reinstall Steam, have the patch and then try and risk the online/offline problem.

Any suggestions re downloading the patch and applying it so I can avoid Steam altogether?

Cheers

Archived