Formulaic?

I have played several incarnations of FM and CM in the distant past and the problem I have with such games is that they tend to feel formulaic and hands-off after some time. That is, you buy players, you get good coaches, you create training schedules, you create one or more playing tactics, and then you just press forward and forward, making only routine decisions like team talks, substituting/rotating players, etc. And it seems like one is still able to be quite successful just by doing so.

After leaving FM for 2 years I'm considering getting into FM 10. Would it still feel formulaic and dreary after some time?

I have played several incarnations of FM and CM in the distant past and the problem I have with such games is that they tend to feel formulaic and hands-off after some time. That is, you buy players, you get good coaches, you create training schedules, you create one or more playing tactics, and then you just press forward and forward, making only routine decisions like team talks, substituting/rotating players, etc. And it seems like one is still able to be quite successful just by doing so.

After leaving FM for 2 years I'm considering getting into FM 10. Would it still feel formulaic and dreary after some time?

It's an interesting question. I've had that feeling some times with previous FMs. Just pressing continue a lot (I think they call it "space bar gaming" or something like that at SI?).

With FM10 so far I'm feeling much more involved in the game world thanks to some additions like Screen Flow. I'd certainly recommend trying the FM10 demo so you can see how you feel about it. At least for me, this version has been a huge improvement and I'm playing in a much more involved way instead of just space-baring.

Thanks for the opinion. I've tried out the demo and so far, it seems "space-barish" to me. That is, you just input some stuff into the game, stir the pot, and press continue for the most part. I was hoping, say, the match engine would be more challenging so you really need to analyse the match play to win.

can i ask? do you play with lower league or the top sides? maybe you need a bit more of a challege, versions in the past have been too easy, so that's why you could just continue continue without any challege, but I find this version is too challeging to do that

There's a lot of randomness. I tried this out during the demo - I played the same Premier League game under the same conditions 10 times (was Chelsea, opponent was Man U). Didn't make any changes, I won 4 of the games, Man U won 3, the other 3 were draws. Man U made different changes/subs every game, even in games of slightly similar situations (down a goal with X time left, etc). Doesn't seem very 'formulaic' to me. Also if it bothers you so much, try playing lower level or start unemployed.

can i ask? do you play with lower league or the top sides? maybe you need a bit more of a challege, versions in the past have been too easy, so that's why you could just continue continue without any challege, but I find this version is too challeging to do that

Top sides. Do you find the current version challenging with top sides?

I understand lower league would be more challenging but that's not the point here - top sides should be challenging as well.

Top sides. Do you find the current version challenging with top sides?

I understand lower league would be more challenging but that's not the point here - top sides should be challenging as well.

On this version I don't know, I've only played the demo still waiting for the full game to be delivered but on previous version yes I have found playing with teams like spurs, west ham quite a challenge.

It's harder now but the game is still "beatable" to a degree. You can find a tactic that works, and buy good players for good prices etc. Watching games and tweaking formations appropriately will give you an edge, but ultimately isn't a big enough part of the experience.

If the match engine not being dynamic enough is enough to stop you playing the game, then don't bother. Play the demo through a couple of times with different clubs, its' the biggest indicator of how much playtime you'll get out of the game.

Archived