Some poor scouting job by SI

Loving the look of the game in general. Some really nice new features, and it really does look like the best version of the game yet. But some of the data updates frustrate me. As a Blackburn supporter, it seems like the Blackburn scouts in SI doesn't do their job very well. There are a couple in the backroom staff who hasn't been at the club in a while, and a lot of players are highly underrated. Phil Jones being one, Keith Andrews being another more prominent one. I'm sure Blackburn isn't the only club with this problem, and it has frustrated me throughout all previous versions of FM as well. It seems like a lot of the data is just copied from older versions of the game, without proper research.

In Rovers' backroom staff Damian Roden is the fitness coach. He left to join Man City last summer together with Mark Hughes, and scout John Seasman left for Leeds... In 2000 (!). But he's been a Rovers scout in every version of CM and FM since.

I appreciate that the database is massive, but some of the scouting work just isn't up to its standard in my opinion. I know it's hard to get all teams to be completely realistic, but for Premier League clubs they should have done a better job.

I've played CM and FM since 1993, and I love the game. But sometimes I feel like SI should focus a little bit more on the realism of the players ability. I always find myself spending hours and hours on editing players before starting a new game. It does get frustrating. That's my only complaint though ;)

Probably because most offers of help are ignored, and almost all queries in the Data Issues forums are dismissed, if not by the relevant researcher, then by a bunch of researchers for unrelated leagues and clubs who show up to defend their mates, or Gripper himself. I saw one poster in the German Data Issues forum just now told he "knew nothing" about the players in question because he dared to quibble with their ratings. Jesus.

Probably because most offers of help are ignored, and almost all queries in the Data Issues forums are dismissed, if not by the relevant researcher, then by a bunch of researchers for unrelated leagues and clubs who show up to defend their mates, or Gripper himself. I saw one poster in the German Data Issues forum just now told he "knew nothing" about the players in question because he dared to quibble with their ratings. Jesus.

What a load of rubbish. You clearly do know nothing.

Loving the look of the game in general. Some really nice new features, and it really does look like the best version of the game yet. But some of the data updates frustrate me. As a Blackburn supporter, it seems like the Blackburn scouts in SI doesn't do their job very well. There are a couple in the backroom staff who hasn't been at the club in a while, and a lot of players are highly underrated. Phil Jones being one, Keith Andrews being another more prominent one. I'm sure Blackburn isn't the only club with this problem, and it has frustrated me throughout all previous versions of FM as well. It seems like a lot of the data is just copied from older versions of the game, without proper research.

In Rovers' backroom staff Damian Roden is the fitness coach. He left to join Man City last summer together with Mark Hughes, and scout John Seasman left for Leeds... In 2000 (!). But he's been a Rovers scout in every version of CM and FM since.

I appreciate that the database is massive, but some of the scouting work just isn't up to its standard in my opinion. I know it's hard to get all teams to be completely realistic, but for Premier League clubs they should have done a better job.

I've played CM and FM since 1993, and I love the game. But sometimes I feel like SI should focus a little bit more on the realism of the players ability. I always find myself spending hours and hours on editing players before starting a new game. It does get frustrating. That's my only complaint though ;)

2 points from this:

There will inevitably be errors of fact in all team details and it would be appreciated by all if you report them in the relevant thread in the Data issues forum, where the team researcher will note them

Equally there will always be differences of opinion about players ability and attributes, These are put in by the team researcher using his own judgement and knowledge of the players but based on parameters laid down by SI. There are no right or wrong attributes because opinions vary but again if you feel that some are very wrong, then report them in the Data forum.

The researchers, who are all volunteers, will be happy to listen to constructive points and take help with their job. They will, not surprisingly, be less enamoured with personal attacks and criticism which is why there can be some negativity. I am sure they will welcome your input.

You should post in the Blackburn thread. What FrazT is correct though, and if you're quibbling attributes, you really need something to back it up, not just "I believe Samba should have a higher strength rating", for example.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=153615

Just shows that SI are on an absolute hiding to nothing. Your personnal opinion on players should not be worthy of a post on here.

Aadwar - Exactly how good do you expect Keith Andrews to be? He has played 1 and a bit seasons in the premier league, I can't recall reading many gushing reports in the paper about his performances, was bought from a second divsion club by a manager who lasted a handful of games and who by premier league standards - Lampard, Gerrard, Mascherano etc etc is not even fit to lace there boots. Come on, be realistic when you write a post.

Marek Hamsik - Please don't fall into the trap of expecting players in the game to follow the hype which surrounds them IRL. Quagliarella is undoubtedly a good player however he is not a renowned goal scorer. He has scored 64 goals in some 200+ appearances IRL and has managed only 3 International goals. Peter Crouch has an international record of more than a goal every game 18 in 35 so maybe the researchers have it right that he doesn't have a higher finishing attribute to Crouch.................obviously with Heskey I agree as should he have more than 10 finishing it would be incorrect.

All I am saying guys is dont let personnal opinion on players cloud your judgement. If Ronaldo had 5 pace or John Terry 8 heading then that is the time to complain.........not discussing keith Andrews

Provable facts such as where staff work are not dismissed immediately.

And player ratings are quite subjective. Comparing player Y at Blackburn with player B at Benfica is silly as they are assessed by different people. Short of comparing every players' every attribute side by sideand finding someone with knowledge of every player in the world to run his/her eye over them, you will never get 100% accuracy. That's, what, 100,000 pro players with 30 attributes... 3,000,000 manual checks x 100,000 pro players to compare each one against which is 300,000,000,000 comparisons for one single player. You may even have to square that but the calculations are making my head spin, but that's the sort of work you'll need to get close to a 100% accurate database. Even then it's subject to that one encyclopaedic-brained geek's interpretation and bias (maybe he hates Drogba but loves Adebayor).

I think Crouch is highly overrated in the game based on the fact that he may score a ton of goals, but he tends to score zero against the bigger teams and 3-4 against smaller ones. His big game rating should be much smaller, his finishing probably 11-12 (not 15), his heading is not very accurate IRL (he's just tall) and his movement isn't great either. But that's my opinion - I haven't watched many games in full. To open this debate up may have Spurs and maybe even Pompy fans coming back to quote "that great goal he scored against Man U that time" and flame me for "knowing nothing about football cos Crouchy's finishing should be 18". It'd go round in circles forever.

I used to think a lot of Leeds players were underrated (Delph being an obvious one from last year, although he came good in time) but I know others may think differently. Now I just play the game in front of me - it's less stressful that way.

You are right there but I can explain why.

Most queries are ignored because they are pointless queries or have already been discussed earlier in the topic, or are issues which the researchers have already said they cannot change, or are issues which are already set to be changed, I could go on.

So next time, how about you look around the section you are criticising before doing so.

Im a leeds fan and it always frustrates me how badly Beckford is underated....I mean i know its only league 1 :) but he scores like 50 goals a season..amazing goals...tears the league apart so considering that compared to the other players in that league he should stick out like a sore thumb for quality. but always looks very average like he could barley even survive in the championship...where as if you want my humble opinion he could do a better job than your marcus bents and jason scotlands of this world in the topflight. i havent checked him out in the new version though.

As for Peter Crouch...as a neutral it realy suprises me flack he gets off some of you guys. I know he looks really weird but if anything he is underated...the facts speak for them selves..good on the ball...great target man...good in the air...good fnishing ability ...scores in the premiership on the most part when he gets the nod and his international record is outstanding...you can say its against crappy teams but you dont see so called 'better players' matching him. To compare him to the woefull a goal every 12 games record of big Emile! would be completly wrong!.

Archived