Inability to sell players

Is it me or is it really hard to sell players on FM10?

I am Sunderland and have only managed to sell 1 player (Nosworthy) and that was for a poor fee. No team will take Paolo Da Silva, Kenwyne Jones or David Healy even when offered on frees :S

I also couldnt get rid of Reid or Ferdinand so had to loan them out instead

Its a bit unrealistic IMO

Thats part of your problem, if your loading just English teams, foreign teams will be much less likely to buy players

You are aware that makes no sense? Foreign teams are less likely to buy players? Then why would it be a problem that there not loaded.

Yes foreign teams are not as likely to buy average players.

I have also had this issue Jordan, no team would take Sidwell or Shorey even for 1m each. Thats an absolute bargain, it would be like Man U offering Rooney for 5m.

Players wages seem to factor in a lot this year, at Stoke I've been trying to sell Beattie and Kitson. Kitson on lesser wages sold for £2m and was only on like £11k a week, Beattie is on almost £40k a week and is impossible to shift even on a free transfer.

This is why I just got bored the first game month, I could only sell players for very low fees and still had more than half of transfer listed players in the club. 09 wasnt like that, you could get rid of any player if your offer went low enough at some point.

This was imo a stupid move of SI to do cause being able to get transfer founds to spend (by selling players) is such a huge factor for me. Really hope that they fix this in the next patch (long wait) if not I really cba buying the next FM game cause I just get bored so quick with the system like this.

Here's the list of players I just cant sell:

Craig Fagan

Nick Barmby

Tony Warner

Caleb Forlan

Steven Mouyokolo

The only player I've sold so far:

Nathan Doyle

If you only run english leagues most clubs abroad won't sign players. And, if you think about it, not many clubs would sign those players. Either they won't be able to meet the wage demands or the players aren't good enough for them. SO maybe 3 or 4 clubs will actually be able to sign them, and they might not be interested.

• Administrators

It's not so clear cut, you have to realise that some players will not take the drop in wages/drop in league/standard, so when they're offered out teams realise they are below the players standing and won't make an offer. Look at Colocinni, he's a player on MASSIVE wages, even for a bargain price you're unlikely to get teams wanting those wages on their books.

Teams won't think 'he's a bargain at that price, I don't need him for my team but at that value I can sell him on' - they'll think, 'do we need a player in that position and is he better than what we've got?' Often for lower Premier League players (such as at Hull) often the case is 'no.'

Can I just suggest one reason? At the start of the game, it seems like wage budgets are already set up for the season and the amount of "spare" cash clubs have is already determined. There is often very little room for maneuver. Most decent teams have spent up to their budget already, in order to maximise their squad. In fact, most teams will have done their spending by the time the transfer window closes.

Try waiting until the next transfer window, or until the next season. I bet clubs will be falling over themselves to sign players then since many clubs will have had players leave etc.

I agree it's unrealistic, because one of the problems with the way FM manages budgets is that you need to appeal to the board on a personal performance level. You need an option to say on the contract screen - "talk to chairman about signing this player" and if the chairman passes some kind of "find funding down back of sofa" roll, he ponies up the dough and you can sign the player you previously wouldn't have been able to afford, but who could make your season.

It's not so clear cut, you have to realise that some players will not take the drop in wages/drop in league/standard, so when they're offered out teams realise they are below the players standing and won't make an offer. Look at Colocinni, he's a player on MASSIVE wages, even for a bargain price you're unlikely to get teams wanting those wages on their books.

Teams won't think 'he's a bargain at that price, I don't need him for my team but at that value I can sell him on' - they'll think, 'do we need a player in that position and is he better than what we've got?' Often for lower Premier League players (such as at Hull) often the case is 'no.'

okay, i hear what your saying, but im playing as bradford city. ive got several players up for sale but still, as yet, not one offer. my squad is huge as a result. ive offered players for nothing but still no results.

i seem to remember 2009 version having the same frustrating problem. until a decent patch cured it.

I am loving the game so far but the inability to offload players and pay over the odds for other teams players spoils the game somewhat for me.

To be also. It is the part of the game that has been constantly letting me down for the past editions.

Totally understand this, but this isn't real life. It's a game.

The best part of the game (for me!) is being able to create completely your own team, therefore being able to offload players perhaps shouldn't be set to be quite so difficult as real life?

I am managing Newcastle. I'm a Toon fan. I like Colocinni and Jonas, etc, but in the game I want rid of them to slash the wage bill and get some decent players in on less money.

It's a bit frustrating to not be able to do this...

not really, I mean it's not as if all teams are falling over themselves to spend millions (unless you're Man City, or the usual suspects)

I sold a player in my Rangers game at the first time of asking. Just requires a bit of patience.

Well thats clear.

This is a major bug/error.

If a player is not wanted or is being unplayed then they will want to go elsewhere and they will take a wage cut. I've completed 2 seasons now, with 4 nations running and I've only shifted one player of note, and I wasn't even actively trying to sell him.

I can handle all the little bugs and data errors, but this takes the biscuit. Its spoiling what is an otherwise perfect game.

Come on, there would be a huge queue of clubs ready to pounce if Kenwyne Jones or James Beattie were offered for free, most clubs outside the big four (and City) would snap them right up.

Totally understand this, but this isn't real life. It's a game.

The best part of the game (for me!) is being able to create completely your own team, therefore being able to offload players perhaps shouldn't be set to be quite so difficult as real life?

I am managing Newcastle. I'm a Toon fan. I like Colocinni and Jonas, etc, but in the game I want rid of them to slash the wage bill and get some decent players in on less money.

It's a bit frustrating to not be able to do this...

Exactly who are you expecting to sign Colocinni and Jonas. Newcastle were relegated, both were very poor last year and both earn wages well in excess of 50k a week. No Premier league club would sign them and no foreign club of any note would be stupid enough to pay the wages therefore why should teams be interested in them. Nobody would touch them IRL, hence why they are playing championship football so why should it be different in the game. You can't call it a bug.

Taking it on a step further someone on a different post above said they were Bradford and no one wanted their players. Again if you are in the bottom rung of English Football exactly who is going to sign your players, either teams in your league or lower..............don't foget last season in the lower leagues 3 teams started -10 or more due to finances, another team (Acc Stanley) is about to go bust and 1 team in the conference started this season on -10 due to financial difficulties. How many more are struggling????

Fact is the football world that we know and love is totally different to the Halcion days of the earlier 2000's. Teams are finanically on their knees and the game reflects this. How many teams start without a large loan debt???? If you were Barcelona and nobody wanted to buy Messi then I would suggest it was a bug.......not if your Bradford City

Exactly who are you expecting to sign Colocinni and Jonas. Newcastle were relegated, both were very poor last year and both earn wages well in excess of 50k a week. No Premier league club would sign them and no foreign club of any note would be stupid enough to pay the wages therefore why should teams be interested in them. Nobody would touch them IRL, hence why they are playing championship football so why should it be different in the game. You can't call it a bug.

Where did I call it a bug?

Just expressing that I think it's an aspect of the game that needs tweaking slightly.

Colocinni and Jonas are limited, but were two of Toon's better players last year, along with Bassong and Beye.

If I offered Colocinni & Jonas to Man City, Villa, Tottenham etc. for nowt, they'd be gone in a shot in real life. I wouldn't be at all surprised for those two and Enrique to leave in January.

You should be able to sell them in the game. I'm having no joy at all, even at £0.

Where did I call it a bug?

Just expressing that I think it's an aspect of the game that needs tweaking slightly.

Colocinni and Jonas are limited, but were two of Toon's better players last year, along with Bassong and Beye.

If I offered Colocinni & Jonas to Man City, Villa, Tottenham etc. for nowt, they'd be gone in a shot in real life. I wouldn't be at all surprised for those two and Enrique to leave in January.

You should be able to sell them in the game. I'm having no joy at all, even at £0.

I think you are slightly missing the point. I wouldn't deny that people would take those players for free............but I can 100% guarantee not one of the teams you listed would take them for free and then pay them £80k a week as is the case with Collocini. This is propably the issue you are encountering in the game........people would be interested but not any where near the wages they would want.

I am playing as Real Sociedad and in my first 3 weeks of the season I sold 6 players. I didn't want too but as they are stuck in Division 2 of Spain with a good players I had no choice, when I rejected they all took the huff.........the biggest observation between my situation and yours at Newcastle has got to be the wages. All the players I sold and had offers for were on 6k a week or less........

If you think about it, in the game you have to work to a wage structure per week, if you wanted one of those and you were managing Aston Villa or Tottenham etc would you honestly loose 80k a week for them. If you only had 50k left a week you wouldn't even attempt to sign them as they a) wouldn't sign and b) if they did they wouldn't dramatically inprove your squad.

I agree with Beye and Bassong, however after watching the other two in the flesh 25 times last season I am struggling to agree

how can people call this a bug? It's the same as the people who lose a few games and say it's a bug.

Yes, this is a game but it's not the sort of game where everyone is meant to win. If you don't play it correctly you won't win. It's simple. The same can be said with tranfers. I could say it's a bug that from the moment I loaded the game up Modric at Spurs has been wanting to leave and ManU and others in Europe have been unsettling him and offering me £15 etc. IRL he seems quite content to play for spurs at the moment and ManU wouldn't even bother with an offer as low as £15m. Come on SI, sort it out...!!! ;-)

I think it's been explained quite well with regards to players wages etc so offering them out for free wouldn't mean an automatic result. If you want a patch that means you win everything because you've got an unlimited budget and can buy/sell who you want invent one yourself, cause I can't see many FM fans wanting to use it.

I think you are slightly missing the point. I wouldn't deny that people would take those players for free............but I can 100% guarantee not one of the teams you listed would take them for free and then pay them £80k a week as is the case with Collocini. This is propably the issue you are encountering in the game........people would be interested but not any where near the wages they would want.

I am playing as Real Sociedad and in my first 3 weeks of the season I sold 6 players. I didn't want too but as they are stuck in Division 2 of Spain with a good players I had no choice, when I rejected they all took the huff.........the biggest observation between my situation and yours at Newcastle has got to be the wages. All the players I sold and had offers for were on 6k a week or less........

If you think about it, in the game you have to work to a wage structure per week, if you wanted one of those and you were managing Aston Villa or Tottenham etc would you honestly loose 80k a week for them. If you only had 50k left a week you wouldn't even attempt to sign them as they a) wouldn't sign and b) if they did they wouldn't dramatically inprove your squad.

I agree with Beye and Bassong, however after watching the other two in the flesh 25 times last season I am struggling to agree

In real life, you're spot on. The players probably wouldn't drop their wage demands. In FM, what usually happens is they wander off to another club for less wages. All I'm saying is that FM is a game, and it should be a little easier than real life to offload a player or two, especially if you have £0 starting transfer budget, otherwise you can't get involved in transfer activity, which is half the fun of the game!

Re: Colocinni and Jonas - I know what you mean. Wasn't impressed when Colocinni turned his back (the big fluffy heided jessie!) on a ball coming towards him at pace and let it in at our near post. Can't remember who that was against, but it p*ssed me off! And Jonas has 'Young Milner' syndrome - head down, beats everyone, tries to cross - fluffs it. But they did still work harder than most in the depths of last season - especially Jonas. Mind you, that photo of Colo and Xisco laughing away on the tube in London after the Orient embarrassment was pretty vexing as well...

What leagues are you running?

Don't start with that as that's not the problem. I've got all leagues loaded in England, Spain, Scotland, Germany, France, Holland, Portugal and Brazil and Argentina on view only and I still can't sell players.

I agree, this is a huge problem which has somehow got worse since the demo. I quit as Sunderland boss without playing a game after listing 9 or 10 players I didn't want, all for comfortably less than their value, and not getting 1 bid for any of them, even after going as low as £0. It wasn't like this in FM09 so something has drastically changed, that's for sure.

I'm now only playing as a big club until the next patch come out and hopefully sorts this a bit, as you can at least sell the occasional player with Man Utd (although it is still tough), and there is less need for wheeling and dealing.

Well, I'm playing as Sunderland, have got English, Spanish, French, Italian leagues activated, have got several players transfer listed, have reduced asking price significantly of listed players, have offered them several times, not had one expression of interest from anyone and we're now in December 2009.

It could be a question of wages, but no team in four european countries even seems prepared to put ina bid, never mind negotiate wages with a player. It does seem rather odd.

All those people saying its to do with wages are dead wrong.

I just used a game editor to half the wages of all high paid Newcastle players, and STILL no-one is interested.

It's not a 'feature', or an attempt to be true to life.

I 'suggest' that it may be, dare I say it, a BUG!!!

Shows how sad my Friday night is this week! ; )

Right...as Newcastle, if you do the following:

1. Make sure transfer budgets are allowed in first window

2. Make sure all players to be sold are Transfer Listed and set as Not Needed and for sale for 50% of value

3. Make sure all players to be sold are Not Available For Loan

And try to sell Jonas, Barton, Colocinni, Geremi, Enrique...

You'll get some interest in Jonas, but not much else.

If you do all of the above, but:

4. Use an editor like FMRTE to cut these players wages in half.

You'll get interest and offers on all but Joey Barton.

So what does that tell us?

That I've got too much time on my hands...

I utterly aggree with this thread. I am having HORRENDOUS problems sellin players - all of which I have tried to sell in the first transfer window, christmas and again at the begining of the second season. These are the players I have tried to sell at all values from their listed value down to ZERO and still no interrested (please note, none of these players have a salary over £30K so they arent ridiculously highly paid.)

Silvestra

Abou Diaby

Johan Djourou

These players I tried to sell in the first 2 transfer windows and finally succeeded in the third window

Luskasz Fabianski

Phillppe Senderos

Vito Mannone

Add to this list youth team players (17-21 years old) who I have been forced to simply release (costing me £50-150K) because no one will buy them:

Thomas Cruise

Kyle Bartley

Gavin Hoyte

Jay Simpson

Cedric Evina

James Shea

Sam Byles

Wojciech Szcesny

WTF is going on here. In the past I had to put down the value of players and I could get a little premium on a few others I sold - this time I simply cant sell anyone (appart from getting bids on every other player that I DONT want to sell)

For those trying to say the problem is down to wages: there is still the feature in the game that if a player is negotiating a contract with another club then the player will ask the selling club to supplement a percentage of however much they are going to be losing from moving from their current club so the question stands....

How can that be the problem?!

For those trying to say the problem is down to wages: there is still the feature in the game that if a player is negotiating a contract with another club then the player will ask the selling club to supplement a percentage of however much they are going to be losing from moving from their current club so the question stands....

How can that be the problem?!

Agreed. It's not a problem - it's misdirection.

The game is bugged in the transfer market. Whatever change SI have made as part of the understandable rush to meet early Christmas sales deadlines, it has made AI clubs far, far too cautious in the transfer market, to the extent that good squad players at even CL clubs available for cheap will only ever get loan bids (and below that level, no interest at all).

In my Milan game, I tried shifting 33 year old Massimo Oddo, an international calibre right back with good all round stats even for his age. Transfer listed him, then offered him to everyone for free. Not a SINGLE interested party other than two clubs who wanted him on loan. I don't believe for a second that a quality right back, even at 33, wouldn't attract a single interested party. Firstly, small to medium Serie A clubs should be clambering for his signature, because he's much better than what they have. And secondly, if wages is an issue, then he should be asking for Milan to make up the remainder, like he would have done in FM 09. The fact that he's transfer listed and at his age/reputation would have to accept lower wages elsewhere means he should be open to a move down to a smaller club.

I'd also add that trying to shift Luca Antonini, a decent (for Milan) 27 year old squad fullback who is versatile and can play on both sides, in a simlar fashion (transfer list, offer for cheap) attracted no bids as well. He's not on a big wage, and would be a good signing for any mid table or lower side who is looking for a decent Italian fullback. Yet no interest (other than French clubs wanting to loan him).

The AI transfer system wasn't perfect in FM09, certainly the lack of aggression from the top sides in the game made it a bit "unrealistic", but in FM10 it seems like this is a case of something that has been fixed which wasn't broken in the first place. As the age old saying says, it's never wise to fix something that ain't broke.

When your offered a player even for nowt and he asks for stupid wages do you sign him? Especially when he is the rubbish another team is trying to dump. Put it this way, would you sign Joey Barton even on a free if you had to pay him 78k a week? Didn't think so. It is highly annoying when you've got 100k or so of your wages locked up in rubbish but that's the way it is, best bet is to loan out and hope you get someone to pay a part of their wages till their contracts expire.

I have shifted quite a few players, but they are good younger players or ones on low wages.

Archived