Interaction Wishlist

Interaction, in my opinion, is the major part of FM that has not been maximised to it’s full potential and definitely hasn’t had any significant changes made in the last few years.

There are a few wishlists on these forums for people to suggest new additions to the game, but I thought I’d start a new one dealing solely with interaction and giving some of the possible benefits we would experience through implementation and update. These would not only be nice features that would add an element of realism but would also have effects on the game.

Job Interview

This would be a short series of questions regarding the club you wish to take over and discussing your ambitions for the club and what you think is needed to help the club achieve the board’s expectations. This would obviously have an impact on board expectations and perhaps alleviate pressure in a first season when objectives can on occasion be set too high.

One example is:

Where do you see the club in 2 years time?

1. Challenging for silverware.

2. Challenging for Europe.

3. Maintaining a respectable position in the top flight.

4. Building for a successful future.

Leaving a Club

Simply justifying your decision to resign or change jobs, this is mainly for the benefit of the fans. I spent 4 trophy filled years at FC Bayern before leaving for AC Milan because the board were stalling on a contract. I checked FMM and found I was now one of FC Bayerns disliked personnel; the ability to tell the fans that it was out of my hands would be an excellent feature.

Example:

Why did you decide to leave (club) at this time?

1. Interference in day to day running of club by board.

2. New contract not forthcoming/felt the board had pushed you out.

3. Bigger fish to fry.

4. New challenge.

5. Chance to manage in European competition/(league) was too good to turn down.

6. Board didn’t share same ambition for the club.

Start of season press release

Give the fans an idea of what you expect, may help thwart over ambitious fan base e.g. Newcastle.

Example:

1. Challenge for league.

2. Focus on league/focus on maintaining league position/focus on maintaining top flight position.

3. Focus on cup competitions.

4. Avoid relegation.

5. European challenge.

New Signing Expectations

Give the fans an idea of what you expect from the player (squad status would play a big role in this) thus stopping the disappointment with back up loan signings.

Example:

1. Expect the player to have a big future at the club.

2. Player has been brought in to add depth to the team.

3. An excellent young prospect/see the best in 2 or 3 years time

Reasons for Board Request

Rather than just asking for more transfer funds etc I think we should be giving a reason for doing so, the board could then decide whether you need a player in this position or if the player you propose is worth the gamble.

Example:

1. More money needed to bring in new striker.

2. Feeder club to help improve young talent.

3. More wages to keep hold of star player.

4. Improve facilities to improve youth development.

End of Season Board Meeting

A basic gauge of how the board think you have got on in the prior season, a chance for you to explain yourself, ensure the board despite disappointment or tell them not to get carried away.

Example:

1. We over achieved this season and will need to improve the squad to continue this success.

2. Need to strengthen squad to push for expectations next season.

3. Intend to challenge/win again next season.

4. The club are going from strength to strength expect major improvements.

These are just a few examples but I expect people will have queries about some of them and hopefully have ideas of their own. I personally really enjoy the in game interaction at present but for certain aspects e.g. player returning to the club and think more additions would almost constitute the release of a new game maintaining the current match engine.

Interaction, in my opinion, is the major part of FM that has not been maximised to it’s full potential and definitely hasn’t had any significant changes made in the last few years.

There are a few wishlists on these forums for people to suggest new additions to the game, but I thought I’d start a new one dealing solely with interaction and giving some of the possible benefits we would experience through implementation and update. These would not only be nice features that would add an element of realism but would also have effects on the game.

Job Interview

This would be a short series of questions regarding the club you wish to take over and discussing your ambitions for the club and what you think is needed to help the club achieve the board’s expectations. This would obviously have an impact on board expectations and perhaps alleviate pressure in a first season when objectives can on occasion be set too high.

One example is:

Where do you see the club in 2 years time?

1. Challenging for silverware.

2. Challenging for Europe.

3. Maintaining a respectable position in the top flight.

4. Building for a successful future.

Leaving a Club

Simply justifying your decision to resign or change jobs, this is mainly for the benefit of the fans. I spent 4 trophy filled years at FC Bayern before leaving for AC Milan because the board were stalling on a contract. I checked FMM and found I was now one of FC Bayerns disliked personnel; the ability to tell the fans that it was out of my hands would be an excellent feature.

Example:

Why did you decide to leave (club) at this time?

1. Interference in day to day running of club by board.

2. New contract not forthcoming/felt the board had pushed you out.

3. Bigger fish to fry.

4. New challenge.

5. Chance to manage in European competition/(league) was too good to turn down.

6. Board didn’t share same ambition for the club.

Start of season press release

Give the fans an idea of what you expect, may help thwart over ambitious fan base e.g. Newcastle.

Example:

1. Challenge for league.

2. Focus on league/focus on maintaining league position/focus on maintaining top flight position.

3. Focus on cup competitions.

4. Avoid relegation.

5. European challenge.

New Signing Expectations

Give the fans an idea of what you expect from the player (squad status would play a big role in this) thus stopping the disappointment with back up loan signings.

Example:

1. Expect the player to have a big future at the club.

2. Player has been brought in to add depth to the team.

3. An excellent young prospect/see the best in 2 or 3 years time

Reasons for Board Request

Rather than just asking for more transfer funds etc I think we should be giving a reason for doing so, the board could then decide whether you need a player in this position or if the player you propose is worth the gamble.

Example:

1. More money needed to bring in new striker.

2. Feeder club to help improve young talent.

3. More wages to keep hold of star player.

4. Improve facilities to improve youth development.

End of Season Board Meeting

A basic gauge of how the board think you have got on in the prior season, a chance for you to explain yourself, ensure the board despite disappointment or tell them not to get carried away.

Example:

1. We over achieved this season and will need to improve the squad to continue this success.

2. Need to strengthen squad to push for expectations next season.

3. Intend to challenge/win again next season.

4. The club are going from strength to strength expect major improvements.

These are just a few examples but I expect people will have queries about some of them and hopefully have ideas of their own. I personally really enjoy the in game interaction at present but for certain aspects e.g. player returning to the club and think more additions would almost constitute the release of a new game maintaining the current match engine.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I'm sure it would be pretty hard to code into the game, especially given the amount of option would be limitless. As I said IMO additions in interaction would almost justify the purchase of a new release, nevermind a new skin etc etc. 8.0.2 match engine is pretty solid, but does obviously need a few tweaks given the number of complaints about it e.g. scoring from corners but i'd be more than happy to purchase an FM09 with 8.0.2 match engine, updated database and host of new interaction features.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

I'm sure it would be pretty hard to code into the game, especially given the amount of option would be limitless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Sure but from a lot of wishlist threads it appears that deeper interaction is the way to go in many aspects of the game:

- interaction with players in private rather than through the media

- team talk interaction

- interaction with your assistant and other staff

- interaction with the board

etc etc

Good post Nomis! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

I'm sure it would be pretty hard to code into the game, especially given the amount of option would be limitless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Sure but from a lot of wishlist threads it appears that deeper interaction is the way to go in many aspects of the game:

- interaction with players in private rather than through the media

- team talk interaction

- interaction with your assistant and other staff

- interaction with the board

etc etc

Good post Nomis! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More good suggestions, keep em coming.

I particularly like the staff interaction one, it was the one I forgot to mention. The ability to "discuss" a player sperformance in training or your assistant to tell you about dips in form etc would be extremely handy.

The need for more interaction is a simple but very important point. I think that SI needs to be careful to get the balance right though, especially when/if a series of questions are going to be asked at the same time. Some people won't mind answering a few, others will not want to.

There is also a problem with making sure it doesn't get repetitive which means that the increasing amount of messages cannot all appear similar. At the moment I would say practically all the questions and messages in the game are very similar in their format, that is why IMO many people just give up on it completely.

I totally agree LFC Lloydy, but I would suggest the pointlessness is a mjor factor as well. People get turned off by current interaction because yes it is repetitive but also because it seems to have little relevance to game play. Being asked about a player returning to the club is a nice quirk the first time you see it, 4 years down the line and 8 times later its became old and serves no purpose.

The current level of interaction is very limited and again seems to serve no purpose a majority of the time. I certainly wouldn't want the game to have too much interaction, where I would be having to submit comments every other click but what I would ask for is it to perhaps happen only a few times a season but to have a more distinct consequence and thus make the player feel they are having an impact with their comment. This is especially relevant to features such as board and fan confidence.

interaction is pretty annoying at the moment , i tend to ignore most of it becasue i know what to say and stuff. i think a press conference would be a good idea, like a number of questions and they change based on your previous answer

do yu think you can challenge for the title?

yes, we willl challenge for the title this year

but are the current players capable of achieving this?

yes definately

ect.

something like it was on playstaion version of premier manager.

I totally agree LFC Lloydy, but I would suggest the pointlessness is a mjor factor as well. People get turned off by current interaction because yes it is repetitive but also because it seems to have little relevance to game play. Being asked about a player returning to the club is a nice quirk the first time you see it, 4 years down the line and 8 times later its became old and serves no purpose.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to double post, but I just had a really good example of this stupidity. Okay, in the summer I sold Dean Furman to Falkirk. He had never been able to break into my first team, and only had a handful of starts in my 4 years at Rangers. I draw Falkirk in the Cup, I get the "player returning to old club" question. He was a good player and we have a good relationship etc. etc. We did, even if he didn't quite make it, we got on well. Three days later, I play Falkirk again, this time in the League. Low and behold, "Player returning to old club" question from the media. Joy of joys. I think not.

Spot on with your post. A lot of these ideas are ones that I've put forward or other members have so lets hope SI start to take some notice!

The last CM I played actually had the news conference type feature and also a conversation with the chairman. It was quite good actually.

Perhaps a way to counteract repetitive interaction re: new signings etc would be a simple option when signing a player, whether to have a press conference or not. Obviously not all players would need one and the decision could lie with you.

Or an option to hold a press conference on the day after deadline has passed, to have a press conference for all signed players rather than perhaps 8/9 separate prsss conferences.

Just a little idea that I think would be nice touch.

At the end of the season get a news item reviewing the campaign, featuring the high points and low points. It could feature good runs that we had or dips in form (both club and players). Review what happened in the cup (i.e. getting a tough draw).

Any unexpected results (e.g. doing the double over the league leaders, hammering the rivals).

What the fans are concerned about (defensive frailties), what they like (a striker banging in a lot of goals, but unfortunatly getting injured).

Maybe the fans spokesman could release a unofficial dvd or programme (so not to affect finances).

I am a software engineer and I can't see this taking much time to implement so it may be something for SI to consider.

I love all those ideas, the interactive side of the game adds so much more realism and the more it's improved the greater the immersion in the game.

As for the reptitive player returns to club questions they could make it so it gets asked just the first time the player returns against you, as it is it's very annoying.

TBH I don't like the player returns feature at all, I never reply because I have never experienced a positive reaction. I tried being positive about the player and my own squad got angry, I tried saying the team had improved since he left and he then put in a cracking performance against me.

I really don't agree with the interview idea.

It's been suggested several times, and not once has it been in a form that suggests it would be anything other than a waste of time.

I like the other stuff though.

I posted one of these a while back, which I'd link to if the search engine could find it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

It's been suggested several times, and not once has it been in a form that suggests it would be anything other than a waste of time.

I posted one of these a while back, which I'd link to if the search engine could find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that link is for a thread that has not been posted in for a couple of months then it seems it has been deleted. icon_rolleyes.gif Whoever is responsible for that decison made a very poor one IMO, I've now lost lots of useful links.

Anyway back to this thread...

I think that not only can interaction be more closely linked with the boardroom but also the supporters via the confidence section. The confidence section has seen the supporters emerge as something that actually exists in the game and it would be great if it was expanded further.It could involve you (the manager) which results in the board getting annoyed with you or the supporters can begin to believe you don't care about them. It might be the case you build up such a relationship with the fans that the board can't sack you even if they wanted. There are almost limitless ways in which you can increase the interaction between board, manager and supporters and their relationship with each other. I think it would add a lot to the game bring the media more to life in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LFC Lloydy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

I posted one of these a while back, which I'd link to if the search engine could find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that link is for a thread that has not been posted in for a couple of months then it seems it has been deleted. icon_rolleyes.gif Whoever is responsible for that decison made a very poor one IMO, I've now lost lots of useful links.

Anyway back to this thread...

I think that not only can interaction be more closely linked with the boardroom but also the supporters via the confidence section. The confidence section has seen the supporters emerge as something that actually exists in the game and it would be great if it was expanded further.It could involve you (the manager) releasing statements to the supporters which results in the board getting annoyed with you or the supporters can begin to believe you don't care about them. It might be the case you build up such a relationship with the fans that the board can't sack you even if they wanted. There are many examples IRL of agreements/disagreements between these different parties and it is something that should be replicated in the game.

There are almost limitless ways in which you can increase the interaction between board, manager and supporters and their relationship (and their feuds) with each other. I think it would add a lot to the game and bring the media more to life in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the double post but I somehow missed out quite a lot of what I was writing in my head.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LFC Lloydy:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened once before, they basically wiped everything more than a certain age, which eliminated a lot of really good stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Prateep:

How to claim the referee after match end </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I don't really understand this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I really don't agree with the interview idea.

It's been suggested several times, and not once has it been in a form that suggests it would be anything other than a waste of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wouldn't be a waste of time if it had a substantial impact on the hiring clubs choice of manager. The ability to perform better at interview for the Milan job than another more prolific or reknowned manager would be enjoyable, especially if you are hired ahead of them on interview merit.

It would create a bigger furore around appointments and I for one would enjoy going into a club with the fans being unsure about me and having to gain their trust, much like the old CMs.

It depends on your squad personality.

In my previous Oxford United game, at least 4 or 5 of my players either relished playing against the former player or wanted to bring him back down to earth (this is after praising the former player).

Great opening post with some great suggestions.

As LFC Lloydy said a few posts back, some of these interaction suggestions can be linked to the board and fan confidence issue (which is a good idea if very flawed at the moment).

How about at the start of the season telling the board which competitions you would prefer to concentrate on in the coming season? I.E. blooding some youngsters in the league cup. There have been previous threads about managers gettind the sack because they don't win every competition every year.

Stuff I'd like:

~ The ability to call opposition teams thugs if they foul too often.

~ If I promote a player to the first-team, I'd like to be able to tell the press why I did it ("It's good experience"/"He's a good lad"/"He works hard in training"/"This is Newcastle United and we have 500 injuries"/"He can't be worse than Player A"/"I'm trying to attract other clubs to buy him")

~ If I field a rubbish side against some side in League Two and I'm in the Premiership (in the Cups), I'd like to mention why ("I have confidence in my youngsters"/"Everyone needs a run-out"/"This IS my first-team, what are you talking about?")

I'd also like the ability to be nasty in general. There's quite a lot of insults to use against other managers - but more would be even nicer. Like ones like, "Keegan can't tell his strikers to hit a barn door, let alone my goal" (if Newcastle's strikers have been unusually quiet - oh, wait, they are), the ability to criticise managers for parking the bus in goal, etc.

And gossip about declining to comment would be nice too. For example, say I get a dubious penalty and go on to win the game, and I say, "No comment", and if I do it too often, the press could speculate that I train the players deliberately to dive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x42bn6:

And gossip about declining to comment would be nice too. For example, say I get a dubious penalty and go on to win the game, and I say, "No comment", and if I do it too often, the press could speculate that I train the players deliberately to dive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the sort of thing I'd like to see. I'd love it if it was like real life and the media appeared to have some life and intelligence. If it was capable of taking the initiative and creating/discovering news stories then building it up and turning it into a whole series of news stories then the game would have a whole new dimension to it.

It would mean that the interaction would seem much more real as well as making people want to take it seriously. Instead of being the case that one answer is correct and the others are wrong (as it seems to be currently) it would instead be that every answer potentially has a consequence that could spark a new series of news stories. Nowadays, handling the media is an important skill for a manager, especially in the top leagues and so it should be replicated in the game.

BTW, I think you have a few issues with Newcastle icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

- More negative interaction:

- Complain about opposition tactics

- Complain about opposition aggression/tackling; e.g. if your player is on the end of a leg-breaking tackle, you could complain about the player, or the manager's tactics

- Publically criticise the ability of opposition players. For example, playing mind-games with your rivals before the match; not neccessarily to the key player, in the eyes of the game

- And of course, complain about overall refereeing; bias, inconsistancy, etc.

May have already been covered. icon_cool.gif

Archived