5 Things I'm loving about FM10

Here are 5 things I'm loving about FM10 in no particular order:

1. Speed. The game is no doubt faster than FM09. How many leagues I select isn't even a real concern anymore. I'm selecting as many as I'm interested in, instead of selecting as many as I can before the game gets slow as I did in previous versions.

2. Screen Flow. The perfect example that a small change can make a huge difference. I just feel so much more "involved" in the game world when I get to automatically see the league tables and player stats of other countries that I'm interested in. Love managing in Spain and seeing that while I fight for a CL spot, Chelsea and Man Utd are in a thrilling race for the top spot in England. Of course in previous versions I could check league tables on my own, but having the game show them to me at the interval I set, just makes it so much better. It just feels like the game world is more alive.

3. Backroom Advice. Not only the idea, but how it was implemented is great. I love how easy it is to apply the suggestions made by the staff. I'm learning about and using more things in the game, like suggesting new moves for my players with one click, which was an area that I hadn't really gotten into before except in some particular cases. I think that this is a great idea that could definitively be expanded in future versions of the game.

4. Opposition Instructions. I hated having to go through each of the opponents selecting if I wanted to close down on them or not. I know it was important, but for me it was awfully tedious and felt like an unavoidable chore. Now I get to ask my assistant to do it.

5. Tactics. I never liked sliders. Just felt so unrealistic telling a player to have 3/20 of "creative freedom". I understand the match engine needs that input, but I feel that the new tactics are an amazingly much better implementation. Now I can tell a player to play as an inside forward and that his main duty will be support, much more like an actual manager could do. Or at least much more like I imagine I would do if I was a real manager.

One thing I'm not loving about FM2010:

1) It's still really really hard! I can't get good teams to do well against rubbish ones. We just get dominated no matter what we do.

Great game, though. The OP's points are all valid as far as I'm concerned. So far...

One thing I'm not loving about FM2010:

1) It's still really really hard! I can't get good teams to do well against rubbish ones. We just get dominated no matter what we do.

Great game, though. The OP's points are all valid as far as I'm concerned. So far...

it gets easier the better you get!

I'm in awe of the 3d match engine... I didn't expect to be at first, but I'm really enjoying just watching the matches go on. The animations, the flow, the camera angles... it has improved a lot since FM09. Now if only I could get Ajax to hold a clean sheet against any opponent lol

I love the match engine. Its much better then last years. By any chance does anyone know how to make your new database editor that you have edited take affect in your game. Sorry its the first time that i am using database editor.

If you mean like after adding a new competition, I added a cup, started a new game and the new cup was there. If you mean making changes to the player database, you have to select that database when starting a new game.

Mike, maybe try following the advice your assistant gives you during matches, that has helped me before.

I dunno if I'm just cynical, but I have this in-built tendency to ignore my assistant. Maybe it's because they've been useless in the past, but I just have this feeling that nothing he says could have real effects if I try and follow it.

I'm in awe of the 3d match engine... I didn't expect to be at first, but I'm really enjoying just watching the matches go on. The animations, the flow, the camera angles... it has improved a lot since FM09. Now if only I could get Ajax to hold a clean sheet against any opponent lol

I wouldn't say I'm in awe of it because it's still got some way to go, but overall, you give quite a good account there of what 3D is like.

Hi

To get your edited database into the game is different to previous years, basically the default database will always be the only one you can choose. When you use the editor you are making xml files of your edits. Do your edits and then "Save Editor Data As" and save the file under the name of your choice to your documents/Sports Interactive/Editor Data folder.

When you start a new game and the database choice box pops up you will see at the bottom of it an option for xml files. Any new file in the folder will be chosen by the game by default but there is a check box if you want to check which files. Make sure your new xml file is enabled and bingo you have your edited database in the game.

Hope this helps

Here are 5 things I'm loving about FM10 in no particular order:

1. Speed. The game is no doubt faster than FM09. How many leagues I select isn't even a real concern anymore. I'm selecting as many as I'm interested in, instead of selecting as many as I can before the game gets slow as I did in previous versions.

2. Screen Flow. The perfect example that a small change can make a huge difference. I just feel so much more "involved" in the game world when I get to automatically see the league tables and player stats of other countries that I'm interested in. Love managing in Spain and seeing that while I fight for a CL spot, Chelsea and Man Utd are in a thrilling race for the top spot in England. Of course in previous versions I could check league tables on my own, but having the game show them to me at the interval I set, just makes it so much better. It just feels like the game world is more alive.

3. Backroom Advice. Not only the idea, but how it was implemented is great. I love how easy it is to apply the suggestions made by the staff. I'm learning about and using more things in the game, like suggesting new moves for my players with one click, which was an area that I hadn't really gotten into before except in some particular cases. I think that this is a great idea that could definitively be expanded in future versions of the game.

4. Opposition Instructions. I hated having to go through each of the opponents selecting if I wanted to close down on them or not. I know it was important, but for me it was awfully tedious and felt like an unavoidable chore. Now I get to ask my assistant to do it.

5. Tactics. I never liked sliders. Just felt so unrealistic telling a player to have 3/20 of "creative freedom". I understand the match engine needs that input, but I feel that the new tactics are an amazingly much better implementation. Now I can tell a player to play as an inside forward and that his main duty will be support, much more like an actual manager could do. Or at least much more like I imagine I would do if I was a real manager.

Excellent post and well put.

Archived