Overheating problem

Get your computer Fan looked at, most likely cause of overheating.

Happened to my computer, convinced it was the fan so got some technician in to look at it who charged a ridiculous price for looking at the computer for an hour and saying that I shouldn't leave it on as much and he could hear the fan so it must be working. The problem persisted so I took it to a local repair shop and they just said I needed to install a new fan (which they did) and now its fine, they were even cheaper than the useless technician.

How do you know its a heating problem? If its a heating problem the most likely cause is dust, you need to clean out your fans, heat sinks etc. If its not a heating problem it'll be something that is damaged on the motherboard which causes the freezing.

If the extra fans aren't helping it sounds like a power issue. Not that I'm an expert, but I had a similar problem about 4 years ago.

Take it to a dodgy-looking PC shop where the bloke looks like he's never had, or ever will know, the touch of a woman. PC World will charge you through the nose just for looking at it. The goons in the little shops tend to charge less, and in my experience do a better job. PC World couldn't find the problem with my old PC and in the end all I needed was a new (I don't know the word for it...) bit that the power chord plugs into at the back. Possibly because PC World aren't electricians.

Okay, that's my anti-PC World rant over for the day. I feel much better.

Good luck with the PC.

What's the temperature then?

If you need a program, do a search for CoreTemp. It's quite easy to use and supports most of Intel and AMDs CPUs, including dual cores.

Removing the side door isn't really ideal, unless the cabinet is full and it's impossible to get a good flow of air. The best thing to do is to have good air flow through it, (i.e fans that blow air in from the front and fans that get rid of the hot air at the back) with filters to avoid dust. 2 fans doesn't sound like a lot for a powerful computer.

Switching to a high performance thermal compound (like artic silver) can also make a huge difference.

You need to first test the temperatures and find out whether this is a CPU temperature problem. I use SpeedFan to test.

If it is the CPu being too hot you may need to invest in a new CPU Cooler (something like a Themralright or Zalmann) which should be better with cooling than your stock cooler.

Like eple, try re-applying the thermal first, Artic Silver is indeed the best and usually doesn't cost much. If that doesn't work, you may need to invest in a new CPU Cooler.

backpackant, you're looking for the name 'Power Supply' icon_smile.gif

If the fans are working ok, then either the heatsink is clogged with dust or the thermal paste has dried out.

Get a can of compressed air and give the heatsink a good clean. If that doesn't work then removing the heatsink and applying a new squirt of thermal paste could fix it. The second should only be done if you're confident about tinkering with PC's.

What type of CPU is it. If its a Pentium 4 some of these run hot no matter what you try and really aren't suited to FM.

I had the same problem but cleaned loads of dust out including the hard to get to places and no problem know.Leave plenty of air room round your computer as well to stop overheating and lastly,just clean the fans and vents every week then you will not get the problem again,I don't

Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

Every time I load up FM my computer overheats.

Is there to stop it from overheating?

P.S This post is so short because my computer is overheating right now icon_rolleyes.gif

Clean all the fans and the heatsink with a can of compressed air.

I actually had the exact same problem abouth a month ago. The CPU overheated, when I was playing FM. I took it to a repair shop where they tested the CPU temperature. I have now built in an extra fan, creating a better air flow through the computer. Computer works like a dream again.

Archived