I cant open FM10 after i install it

I have tried to install FM10 several times now (not through stream) and when it finishes it get the following message "The installation of Football Manager 2010 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details."

I can play the game fine but if i close it i cant open it again.

I have tried loading it through the DVD drive, through the Game menu and nothing happens. I dont get any error messages but nothing simply happen.

Anybody know what i need to do to fix it?

I cannot find the Football Manager 2010 shortcut to launch the game?

Microsoft Windows Vista and the “Games For Windows” scheme handles installation differently to previous versions of the Windows operating system. The game information is stored in the “Games Explorer” which is a new feature of Microsoft Windows Vista.

It is completely normal for no game shortcuts to be placed on the Desktop or within the Start Menu.

To find the Football Manager 2010 shortcut on Microsoft Windows Vista you need to browse to the Games Explorer.

Because there are different versions of Vista, including Vista Home, Vista Premium, Vista Ultimate, etc, the Games Explorer may be found in different locations, this also depends on whether you're using the Classic Start Menu or not.

The most common locations for the Windows Games Explorer include:

1: Click “Start”

2: Click “Games”

Or

2: Click “All Programs”

3: Click “Games”

4: Click “Games Explorer”

Alternatively you can search for Games Explorer by doing the following:

2: Click inside the “Search” box

3: Type “Games Explorer”

4: Select “Games Explorer” when it appears and it should open.

You can also manually browse to where Football Manager 2010 is installed on your system and run the game from there. The default location is:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010

In here you will see the game executable which is called “FM.exe” or simply “FM” if you are not viewing file extensions. You can create a shortcut to this file by right clicking the “FM.exe” file and selecting “Create Shortcut” you can then copy this shortcut to wherever you wish to move it.

the icon is there it just dosent do anything, it will go to the folder but wont load.

Same if i try to run the dvd it just does nothing

Did you quit the installer before it finished? It sounds like a bad install so uninstalling/reinstalling may be the best way to fix it.

I have had the same problems. I am running on Windows Vista. I inserted the disc for the first time and the normal autoplay box popped up. So i clicked autoplay and began installing. I chose the advanced install option. It got right to the end but then told me the similar message, "The installation of Football Manager 2010 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details." It went into the game and I changed a few preferences and that. Exited the game after and thats when I had similar problems as described in the posts earlier in this thread. It is almost as though nothing had been installed onto my laptop. There was no .exe file, nothing. There was a shortcut under games but like what was described above, you click on it and nothing happens. If you open the CD drive and re-insert the disc it does not recognise the disc at all.

To get back to where I started I had to use system restore, that, in my experience, is the only way for the disc to be read again.

I tried installing a second time but the same thing happened. Only this time I used express install. But I had a similar outcome. I will try for a third time with no programs running in the background and see what happens.

*Edit - Installed it for the third time with no other programs running. Got to the end, same message came up about errors during download. This time though, the game would not open at all because it could not locate d3dx9_41.dll. So I have downloaded that .dll file and the update for DirectX, which could also be the problem, and I will do a system restore. Before the fourth attempt at installing I will put that d3dx9_41.dll in my windows directory and I will update DirectX and then try and install it. And I will see where that gets me.

I have the same problem as all of you. I firstly installed it with the STEAM thing, it took a while and had to overcome the 'd3dx9_41.dll' problem somehow?! played it, saved it, closed it. Went to go on later and said a file had not uploaded properly or something. Uninstalled it and did steam again to no success. uninstalled and did it without STEAM, which is where i got - "The installation of Football Manager 2010 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details."!!! opened it then closed it to see what will happen and then impossible to reopen, click the icon in the menu and it come up with unable to open, select a program to open it with!!! Iv'e reinstalled numerous times and am just getting really annoyed to say the least.* C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010 * does not even appear in my start up menu and the directx thing didn't work either!

Please HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Strangely, after my third attempt, I forgot to mention, it somehow made my computer think it had less space on the hard drive when I went to install the game for a fourth time. Also, after the third try at installing that time there was not even an icon under the games section for FM2010.

So basically, after the third failed attempt at installing the game, I did a system restore like I had done for the past two times. Put the disc back in, went through the inital phase on my fourth attempt but when it looked at disc space, somehow there was less disc space on there, almost a 1gb left if i can remmber correctly. I am pretty sure that the .dll file I put in and the DirectX upgrade would not amount to a gig's worth of memory.

Needless to say, after all that mucking about and installing that .dll file and updating my directX it did not install for a fourth time. This time the FM2010 icon WAS under the games section, but again, click on it and all that is there is a config file. So I guess another system restore is in order and I will start again, although I am well and truly out of ideas. I will try the Steam way of installing tomorrow, but I have a funny feeling it wont work on that either.

Any help from the technical guys at SI would be grateful.

For those suffering from this issue, have you tried disabling your antivirus? Just an idea, but it sounds like certain files aren't being copied across and that could well be down to your antivirus incorrectly quarantining certain files.

First installation attempt of the day and it has installed correctly!

What was happening was every time I used System Restore it would allow me to play the disc again, however, when I checked on program files to look what was taken up so much memory, as I described in my earlier post, what had happened is every time I had tried to install it had created another Sports Interactive folder, so along the program files I had the original folder for FM09, then two separate ones for the failed FM10 installs. But these failed folders were taking up around 1gb each!

The problem I think with mine is that it was unable to install properly because I already had a Sports Interactive directory for FM09. So what I did was completely delete all folders under C-Program Files with Sports interactive on them. So that was both the failed FM10 directories and, sadly, the FM09 directory as well. So when I went to install the game for the first time this morning it had no record of Sports Interactive on my hard drive.

Despite using system restore, which allowed my laptop to recognise the FM10 disc again after the failed installations, it left on my program files the sports interative directories, for the 2010 installs. So that was what was taking up all the memory.

In a nutshell, if you have a previous FM game on your laptop, perhaps uninstall it, make sure there is nothing left under program files, and then install.

I used express install, with no other programs running and bingo it worked. Hopefully it will work with the rest of the people who are having problems.

Cheers.

Can someone for SI please reply to this thread!!!!! Please! I posted on this thread earlier and since then i have done a system restore and deleted every file linked with sports interactive and football manager known to man! lol Im going to install without STEAM again but would like to know if there is anything that i should do in terms of downloading etc before i install so i have best chance of success! Otherwise im returning it!

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit (6.1 build 7600)

Pentium® Dual Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2CPUs)

3GB RAM

**** load of memory left

Directx version- DirectX 11

Can someone for SI please reply to this thread!!!!! Please! I posted on this thread earlier and since then i have done a system restore and deleted every file linked with sports interactive and football manager known to man! lol Im going to install without STEAM again but would like to know if there is anything that i should do in terms of downloading etc before i install so i have best chance of success! Otherwise im returning it!

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit (6.1 build 7600)

Pentium® Dual Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2CPUs)

3GB RAM

**** load of memory left

Directx version- DirectX 11

If steam went wrong you chould have tried verifying the steam cache to fix it.

But if you've done all you've said (make sure you follow all the FAQ steps for a full uninstall) and your system is now clear installing should go fine.

Multiple installs can sometimes cause issues so if it's your first you should be okay.

But let us know if not.

guys ! i had been trying for the whole day y-day and most of today and had the same probs as described, my mate got mine going 4 me, i updated directx and then went into fm2010 files from windows start, then into games and find fm2010, in there somewhere you find the icon and right click and you'll get the option to create a shortcut, do that and it will hopefully work 4 you ! it did 4 me, i farted about installing and uninstalling 3 or 4 times when i didn't need to, the shortcut thing was my main problem but as has been said in similar threads you really need to check 4 updates to your operating system and directx as i done all updates today before gettin the shortcut thing sorted out ! sorry its so long but i've defo covered everything ! good luck !

I have tried to install the game with the disc only option. I get it installed fine, but when go to click on the link to play the game, the button is there but it will not work.

I just get an error message saying 'not supported on this system'.

Please can somebody help as this is the second year in a row that I have had problems trying to play this game.

• Administrators
I have tried to install the game with the disc only option. I get it installed fine, but when go to click on the link to play the game, the button is there but it will not work.

Please can somebody help as this is the second year in a row that I have had problems trying to play this game.

What system are you trying to play the game on?

Good News, for me at least but i'm posting to try and help you all. I followed the FAQ's of a complete uninstall, I then disabled my anti virus (McAfee). I went on Microsoft website and my DirectX is up to date (DirectX 11 for windows 7).

I then did a reinstall without the STEAM and I got a clean installation without the "The installation of Football Manager 2010 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details."

I started a game and closed it stright the way to see if it works? Went into games folder and created a desktop shortcut,

AND It WORKED!!!

Hopefully when my anti-virus comes back on it'll work and I'll have none of the crashing etc problems!

Good Luck everyone!!! :D

so what next?

ive got divX latest, closed everything possible while installing, still not working

so i decided to save everything i have, and put my comp back to the old factory settings!

so got divX upto date again, and the install worked! bravo

well i thought, quit the game, and now each time i try and load, it will start with the loading intro bit and fail everytime, sometimes it freezes with a black screen sometimes it just freezes and more often than not it just closes Fm altogether

please help!

EDIT: ok this time ive tried the whole uninstall and got it all! and it did the same, but 2nd time said it was low on memory and had to shut ...

what does that mean?

getting Your computer is running dangerously low on memory, please quit fm 2010 and free up some memory"

anybody able to help further??

I brought the game yesterday and installed it all fine and played for a while. When i tried to launch the game this morning it goes to a black scrren and i get the following message pop up:

fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Have downloaded Direct X, unistalled following instructions in FAQ`s and tried reinstalling 5/6 times and still getting the same message. Tried all thats been said above with no anti virus and no other programmes at all running but still no luck.

I had loads of problems with 2009 but they were all sorted with help from this forum so anyone got any ideas on how i get the game working.

I brought the game yesterday and installed it all fine and played for a while. When i tried to launch the game this morning it goes to a black scrren and i get the following message pop up:

fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Have downloaded Direct X, unistalled following instructions in FAQ`s and tried reinstalling 5/6 times and still getting the same message. Tried all thats been said above with no anti virus and no other programmes at all running but still no luck.

I had loads of problems with 2009 but they were all sorted with help from this forum so anyone got any ideas on how i get the game working.

Can anyone help with this at all???

I really love Football Manager but after the problems i've had with the past 2 years i don't think i'll be buying iot again. It shouldn't be this difficult to play a computer game!!!!

I have just uninstalled, downloaded the directx update and reinstalled and still a cant load the game if i open the shortcut their is no fm.exe in the directory.

Any ideas

i have the same prob, managed install it through steam and it works fine, but how do i get to the editor??? please help thanks

Having the same problem as everyone else. I'm sorry, but you guys must know of this problem, or did you not bother to test for stuff like this. I know that I may seem like I'm being too forthright but I've now had similar problems for the last 3 editions of the FM series. My patience is wearing extremely thin. Sort it out SI!

Archived