FM 2010 disk not recognised by Vista, unbelievable

I have managed to install the game but when i try and load it up it states the disk is not in the disk drive, when it is.

I tried on another computer with XP and it runs fine

I find it unbelievabke that the boxed version doesnt work on an operating system such as vista

sort it out as all we want to do is play the game.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Try updating the drivers for your disk drive. It certainly works on Vista, with a significant amount of players and testers alike using it.

It's almost certainly a problem with your hardware, so please don't suggest SI need to 'sort it out' until you have reason to make such claims.

Hershie

Is it too much to expect something you buy as a disk to work when you put it in

?

Stop defending them, its an absolute disgrace.

Can anyone provide me with links to update so i can get this thing to actually work.

yes i have a dvd disk drive.

Hershie

Is it too much to expect something you buy as a disk to work when you put it in

?

Stop defending them, its an absolute disgrace.

Can anyone provide me with links to update so i can get this thing to actually work.

yes i have a dvd disk drive.

I would imagine that many thousands are finding that the disk works perfectly well with Vista. If you are not , it is hardly SI's fault.

thousands ? Most certainly not that much. I would say alot close to 100 if that for now. Now that's alot less than 2000+

And if a drive isnt recognising the dvd then clean the dvd both sides and in the small circle and try it, you'd be suprised how many times that solves the problems.

Oh and also wipe the drive that you put the dvd on. This happened to me with FM09 only a couple months back 3 times !

many thousands are having trouble getting the game to work.

look at the forums

whos fault is that fanboy?

The problem is almost certainly with your PC and not the game. You have already self diagnosed that it works in another system , so we can eliminate the disk, whats left ?? thats right your DVD drive.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dvd+drive+wont+recognise+disks

• SI Staff

Phil - have you tried any of the suggestions listed above?

1) Try to update your DVD drive drivers

2) Run a windows update to see if there are any Windows updates available.

I can understand that you are frustrated that the game is not working for you, but others are trying to help you get the game working, in the same way as it is working for them.

This is ridiculous, i'm with phil on this. Of course it isn't SI's fault, but there ARE thousands of people that the game isn't working for (me included). From people I know, over 10 can't get their drive to read the disc.

Why should we all suddenly need to download updates for our DVD drives? Mine is only 6 months old afterall! It's ridiculous.

Well for one - most users aren't capable of keeping their computers up to date.

Another reason is that manufactures ship new machines with drivers that may be up to two years old. Not to mention the fact that they use cheap components. This is particularly true of cd/dvd drives where the type of laser they use isn't strong enough to read some (but not all) discs.

In my old computer I had one such drive, and I was able to update the firmware (drivers) for it and it solved the problem.

Not SI's fault I'm afraid.

(is this where I get accused of being a fanboy too now? :D)

I have the same problem as the OP. I am not a newbie, in fact I built my own PC and am a computer programmer! I have Vista and the FM10 disk isn't recognised. Every other disk I've ever used works fine. My drivers are fully up to date. If I find a solution I will post it.

Try to update your DVD drive drivers

Does anybody know I do this?

I dont want to be a pain but when you go out and buy something you expect it to work. I have changed the disk at the shop but i have the same problem.

if anybody has any other idaeas then i will try but it looks like to play the game i will have to install through steam which means i pay double.

That is simply unnaceptable from a customer point of view.

I dont want to be a pain but when you go out and buy something you expect it to work. I have changed the disk at the shop but i have the same problem.

if anybody has any other idaeas then i will try but it looks like to play the game i will have to install through steam which means i pay double.

You wont pay double, open steam and click on add game to steam list, enter CD key from FM box and await the download.

And again, you are trying to play a game on a PC , updating drivers etc is essential not optional, i'm guessing by your attitude FM is likely the only game you play on your PC.

so how do i update my driver then?

Well firstly you haven't said if you have tried to eliminate the dvd drive as a problem, which first of all should be donr by checking other disks in the drive , and then going to the manufacturers website and looking for updated drivers.

Do you have another game you can try in the drive?

If your stuck just now dude, open steam, click on the games drop down along the top , click activate product ons team , add your cd key and download the game. Gets you playing anyway.

I dont want to be a pain but when you go out and buy something you expect it to work.

The problem is that SI/SEGA's customer services are powerless to help you. They can recommend ways to get it to work, but the reason it isn't fine out of the box is entirely to do with your computer. They are blameless.

The issue is with your pc manufacturers or DVD drive providers or software.

SI make sure their games work with working software and hardware. If your system is already broken, of course they can't be sure their game will run properly. With you slamming their customer service and demanding it should work out of the box would be like complaining to Sainsburys that the oven cook pizza you bought there is still cold after 45 minutes in your oven, and blaming them for it.

You wont pay double, open steam and click on add game to steam list, enter CD key from FM box and await the download.

And again, you are trying to play a game on a PC , updating drivers etc is essential not optional, i'm guessing by your attitude FM is likely the only game you play on your PC.

This is what I had to do, as my Sony Vaio wasnt reading the disc during the second part of the setup, strange that i have to have the disc in now though to start the game.

This is what I had to do, as my Sony Vaio wasnt reading the disc during the second part of the setup, strange that i have to have the disc in now though to start the game.

Did you run the patch manually from the SI site? If so, it's the disk install patch and requires the cd to be in. Steam applies it's own patches. ;)

The problem is that SI/SEGA's customer services are powerless to help you. They can recommend ways to get it to work, but the reason it isn't fine out of the box is entirely to do with your computer. They are blameless.

The issue is with your pc manufacturers or DVD drive providers or software.

SI make sure their games work with working software and hardware. If your system is already broken, of course they can't be sure their game will run properly. With you slamming their customer service and demanding it should work out of the box would be like complaining to Sainsburys that the oven cook pizza you bought there is still cold after 45 minutes in your oven, and blaming them for it.

I'm framing this post and hanging it on my wall.:thup:

Purely because it uses a non car analogy:D

Then you must have patched manually, if you manually patch a steam install you make it think its the DVD install

iv had the same problems.. but your suggestion about entering the code on steam was spot on.. im not great with computers so didnt know u could do that.. THANKYOU!!!!!!!

My brother bought the game last night from gamersgate (digital download) , he was happily playing (cancelling

all Saturday night stuff) till i told him about the new patch , after patch installation he received the "no cd in drive" thing LOL

Of course we both agreed that it was his tactics .

I am sure that SI will fix this thing sooner or later , no reason to get all dramatic .

I am sure that SI will fix this thing sooner or later , no reason to get all dramatic .

Point is though, a game should never have been released that is unplayable. They've every reason to be upset. Some people can't get broadband where they live (I myself live in one such area when I'm not at Uni), so we're being messed over because of a seemingly unfinished game release.

I had the same problem with the game notbeing recognized. It got worse for me, as my CD drive wouldn't open, even if I restarted my laptop or put the PC off for some time. I wound up using the emergency release button on my CD drive, got the CD out then put it in the computer again after leaving it on for a while. For some reason this worked, and the game installed fine.

My brother bought the game last night from gamersgate (digital download) , he was happily playing (cancelling

all Saturday night stuff) till i told him about the new patch , after patch installation he received the "no cd in drive" thing LOL

Of course we both agreed that it was his tactics .

Digital download versions are already patched so he will need to reinstall

Point is though, a game should never have been released that is unplayable. They've every reason to be upset. Some people can't get broadband where they live (I myself live in one such area when I'm not at Uni), so we're being messed over because of a seemingly unfinished game release.

The possible hardware combinations , 1.2gb of code and deadlines is the answer.

Of course customers have all the right to complaint but it is not the end of the world as we know it .

The game is playable, not every computer on the world is the same, and certainly doesn't have the same setup and upto date drivers on every computer. Things need to be up dated to run new things like bios to recoinize a new processor. So stop blaming Si & Sega as it's not thier thought that the disk is not recoinised on your computer. People who have good computer knowledge would Know this and not blame the makers which is not a bug!!!!!!!

The possible hardware combinations , 1.2gb of code and deadlines is the answer.

Of course customers have all the right to complaint but it is not the end of the world as we know it .

Thing is though, "buggy gaming" was never really something you associated with a Sigame product until the past two years. Far too many obvious bugs seem to be passing through the system now, and although 2010 is nowhere near as poor as last year's release in that sense, a game should never be in a situation where a patch is being released on the day of its release to tackle known bugs.

Sure, bugs are going to slip through the system, but when they are already known about that's a poor show, in my opinion.

Like I said, I'm unable to access broadband at my non-Uni address, and that would mean if I weren't living away right now I'd be unable to play Football Manager in its "fixed" form, through no fault of my own.

The game is playable, not every computer on the world is the same, and certainly doesn't have the same setup and upto date drivers on every computer. Things need to be up dated to run new things like bios to recoinize a new processor. So stop blaming Si & Sega as it's not thier thought that the disk is not recoinised on your computer. People who have good computer knowledge would Know this and not blame the makers which is not a bug!!!!!!!

Well, you don't know whether it is or not. A few people have had this problem, so there's clearly some issue. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, but since this person paid around £30 for their game (during a recession at that) they have every right to be disappointed at not being able to get it working.

Of course, some people complain for the sake of it, which does suck and is unfair, but in this case I don't think anyone's being unreasonable.

Using my first ever post to say thank you!!!! :)

Just wish I'd realised this earlier today so I could have downloaded it all by now. Think it is actually my drive thats buggered rather than anything wrong with the game btw.

I had this problem last year and didn't want to risk it this year so just bought it on Steam. I've come to the conclusion that my 2 year old dvd-drive isn't up to todays level of games. I've checked for newer drivers but Acer stopped updating for my laptop model. None of this is SI or Sega's fault and I can't understand anyone thinking it is.

People will allways find bugs as companies can't afford to employ thousand's of staff to find every bug in the game.The game isn't much buggy, just some that have missed through testing, and most of the problems on these forums are not Si & Sega fault but the computers software and hardware problem(i.e drivers) Which aren't Si fault. Most of the people on here are very quickly to blame SI & Sega for a fault which isn't their fault.

There's an issue with Vista not seeing dvds in the drive overall on some systems - you can run a Microsoft cd/dvd drive repair wizard thing that clears filters and caches off the drive and it resolves it. I ran it the other day as any dvd needed to be put in (then appears as 'blank'), ejected and then reentered in the drive and then could be explored fine. The MS wizard fixed it, may resolve these issues.

Archived