Jerky graphics FM10

Hi guys

I got a Intel® Core™2 Duo E7300 2.66Ghz computer with 4Gb memory and an on-board Intel graphics card. It’s a fairly decent spec so am I wrong to expect it to cope with 3d on full detail?

I know its an on-board card but its one of the later intel efforts and its not as if FM is the most graphic intensive of games! I just don’t understand why my spec is delivering a jerky 3d experience . Should it be?

My on-board card is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3500. Its one of the latest from Intel and way above the minumum spec for graphics.

Here is a description I found on Wikipedia: -

GMA X3500

GMA X3500 is an upgrade of the GMA X3000 and used in the desktop G35. The shaders support shader model 4.0 features. Architecturally, the GMA X3500 is very similar to the GMA X3000,[11] with both GMAs running at 667 MHz. The major difference between them is that the GMA X3500 supports Shader Model 4.0 and DirectX 10, whereas the earlier X3000 supports Shader Model 3.0 and DirectX 9.[11] The X3500 also adds hardware-assistance for playback of VC-1 video.

Surely this is capable of handling FM's 3d in full detail?

My on-board card is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3500. Its one of the latest from Intel and way above the minumum spec for graphics.

"One of the latest" in this case means over 2 years old, and being an on-board card I'm not surprised if it's too slow.

EDIT: I did some searching, and your card really is not enough for 3d gaming, this is an opinion from 2 years ago: "the GMA X3500 is still practically unusable for 3D gaming unless you like playing at slideshow frame rates."

Looking at 3DMark06 results it's about the same speed as Radeon 9800 Pro, so it meets the minimum specs but not really more than that.

There is a big difference between a graphic card (or subsystem) "supporting" certain features and actually implementing them in a useful way.

Make sure you update your motherboard/graphic drivers - if this has no effect then quite simply you'll need a better card if you want full detail.

There is a big difference between a graphic card (or subsystem) "supporting" certain features and actually implementing them in a useful way.

Make sure you update your motherboard/graphic drivers - if this has no effect then quite simply you'll need a better card if you want full detail.

So true, my laptop has nVidia Quadro NVS140m, and it supports all the same features that the Intel GMA X3500 does. But it certainly can't handle FM10 unless I use low detail with stadium and crowd turned off.

Here is a description I found on Wikipedia: -

GMA X3500

GMA X3500 is an upgrade of the GMA X3000 and used in the desktop G35. The shaders support shader model 4.0 features. Architecturally, the GMA X3500 is very similar to the GMA X3000,[11] with both GMAs running at 667 MHz. The major difference between them is that the GMA X3500 supports Shader Model 4.0 and DirectX 10, whereas the earlier X3000 supports Shader Model 3.0 and DirectX 9.[11] The X3500 also adds hardware-assistance for playback of VC-1 video.

Surely this is capable of handling FM's 3d in full detail?

Here something else from that very same Wikipedia article:

GMA X3500 review

In a review performed by Register Hardware in December 2007,[11] author Leo Waldock argued that because the GMA X3500 is not capable of running any PC game that requires DirectX 10, the addition of DirectX 10 support to the GMA X3500 was "irrelevant".[89] During that same review, the GMA X3500 was used to run the PC games Crysis and FEAR Extraction Point, where it was able to render only 4 and 14 frames per second respectively for each game.[90] In the end the review concluded that overall the X3500 made "minimal advances" over the GMA X3000.[89]

Like I said, minimum specs but that's it.

haha ok thanks for the info guys. Must say i'm genuinely surprised but looks like i'll have to buy a graphics card then.

Any suggestions? Don't want anything expensive. Just good enough to run FM 3d in full detail :)

I've got a PCI-e 16 slot.

haha ok thanks for the info guys. Must say i'm genuinely surprised but looks like i'll have to buy a graphics card then.

Any suggestions? Don't want anything expensive. Just good enough to run FM 3d in full detail :)

I've got a PCI-e 16 slot.

I have ATI Radeon HD3650, you should be able to get one for under £35. It can run FM 3d in full detail perfectly smooth in my system, although there can be some minor jerkiness depending on a situation and match weather conditions. Most of the time it's perfect though.

Think I may have had the PCI (not express) version of that. Can't remember cos i'm in work but pretty sure it was that card. It was really slow processing anything. Frame rate was poor. Guessing it was the old PCI bus causing a bottle neck.

If I got the pci express version of this card I guess I would see an improvement simply cos the bus technology's improved?

Think I may have had the PCI (not express) version of that. Can't remember cos i'm in work but pretty sure it was that card. It was really slow processing anything. Frame rate was poor. Guessing it was the old PCI bus causing a bottle neck.

If I got the pci express version of this card I guess I would see an improvement simply cos the bus technology's improved?

I'm pretty sure it was NOT that card, since there is no PCI version of HD3600 series - only PCI-e.

Spe3d,

Don't worry it's not just you I'm using a Nvidia 9200M G (Integrated but should easily play this) and I'm too getting very very stuttery graphics on high detail. My laptop plays most modern games smoothly on Medium/High (Empire Total War, Sacred 2, Torchlight, The Witcher).

Hopefully SI will improve their graphics efficiency in a future patch, but for now playing on medium graphics isn't a major setback.

I can honestly say I've had a similar experience. Except I'm not running on a laptop but a pretty decent system.

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Core2 Quad Q9322 @ 2.50GHz

4 GB memory

GeForce 9800 GT 1024mb dedicated video memory

The system 3d rating in the preferences menu is 5 stars

The animations are smooth, it seems to be mainly the panning or turning of the camera in the 3d match engine that is choppy. When I use a camera mode which stays still on a certain point of the pitch during 3d action it is smooth. When it then pans again, the animation becomes choppy.

Hope this helps

Um, my match days are really jerky too. I've popped it on the lower graphic setting, taken some of the extras off like crowd and weather and stuff and it makes absolutely no difference (not even a small difference).

What makes it worse is that may graphics are coming up as 5 stars!!!

I'm running a mac so i've done all of the suggestions on the sticky up top but no joy. Can anyone lend any other suggestions?

This is infuriating!!!

Same problem here with a Quad core 4GB Nvidia 9series graphics card and up to date drivers driectX and java. Changing detail level and crowd settings makes no difference.

It ran the demo fine and all through the beta process ( I asked to be taken off the list for patch testing, how Ironic) I've never suffered with this problem on FM09 so it's really annoying to encounter thjis today! any help from an SI bod?

Ok, after messing around with settings I've discovered playing in windowed mode was the cause of my jerky graphics. Playing in default resolution on high detail with crowds and wheather it runs just fine. Hopefully this helps you guys.

Yeah in windowed mine got so jerky it crashed my computer. Well everything went not responding and then the computer stopped working, so I crashed it :p

But I put it in full-screen, took away the extras, stadiums, weather etc and now its fine.

Can you try with the crowds etc and see if it still runs ok? mine is fine with the extra detail.

Archived