The Celtic FC 2008/09 Thread - League titles, biscuit tins, terrible football and absolutely no riots.

Squad

Goalkeepers

Artur Boruc

Mark Brown

Michael McGovern

Defenders

A. Hinkel

Lee Naylor

Gary Caldwell

Dianbobo Balde

Mark Wilson

Steven Pressley

Jean Joel Perrier Doumbe

John Kennedy

Stephen McManus

Darren O'Dea

Scott Cuthbert

Midfielders

Scott Brown

Paul Hartley

Evander So

Thomas Gravesen

Massimo Donati

B. Robson

Aiden McGeady

Shunsuke Nakamura

K. Mizuno

Attackers

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink

Derek Riordan

Cillian Sheridan

Scott McDonald

Chris Killen

Rocco Quinn

Michael McGlinchey

Nicholas Riley

Fixtures

Southampton - A - July 18th

Fulham - A - July 19th

Middlesboro - N - July 22nd - Algarve Challenge Cup

Cardiff - N - July 24th - Algarve Challenge Cup

TBC - Oporto - July 26th - Algarve Challenge Cup

Tottenham - N - August 1 - Feyenoord Jubilee Tournament

Feyenoord - A - August 3 - Feyenoord Jubilee Tournament

SPL Fixtures

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see us selling many, Boruc is about the only possible candidate which will weaken us significantly. Naylor hopefully and I expect Pressley will retire.

We'll probably sign Samaras on a permanent deal and the noise around Frei seems to indicate we're after him.

We really, really need a left back more than anything and probably a goalkeeper or two if Boruc goes.

The midfield is the one area of the squad that doesn't need investment, a decent backup winger would be ideal.

Sunderland boss Roy Keane is ready to break the club's transfer record to bring in Celtic winger Aiden McGeady. (The Independent)

Burnley will talk with Celtic and Wolves next week over Kyle Lafferty, according to a spokesman close to the player. (Sporting Life website)

Unsettled Celtic midfielder Thomas Gravesen will be offered £1m to quit the club. (The Sun)

Lafferty icon_frown.gif

Brown, Naylor, Killen, Quinn, Sno and O'Brien out for a little money here and there.

Balde, Gravesen and Pressley out for free, possibly even a pay off for a couple.

Boruc unlikely to go anywhere, particularly now having a new baby and the EPL's fascination with spending enormous amounts of money on ordinary keeprs, Gordon and possibly MacGregor for example, pushing his value through the roof.

Rumours about Petrov coming back, but can't see it nor where he would fit in.

Definitely a left back, that's a no brainer but in saying that MON needed a left back for four years and never played the only one he bought, Laursen.

Another centre half needed, a physical, quick player, essentially a type of Bob of five years a go type figure.

Mizuno to be the absolute star of the season next year, if protected and the rest of the team know what he's going to do next!

Here's to being only three goals away from another nine-in-a-row come next May. icon_wink.gif

Left back is the biggest priority by a mile. Followed by commanding centre back (although I can't see which of Caldwell and McManus WGS would be willing to drop) and a good target man.

Hopefully Brown after the terrible time he's been through with his family will also get back to something like the potential he undoubtably has.

Predicted outs:

Mark Brown

Naylor

Pressley (gone)

McManus (hope, not prediction)

Slo

Graveson

Donati (show videos of his early season form to English clubs and demand 5 million)

Riordan

Killen

There's also bound to be some mega-money bid for Boruc, Brown or McGeady, so would expect at least one disppointing departure.

its an interesting august we've got. 1st OF on the 30th and a game up here in dundee, 2nd weekend of the season. Lets hope we get off to a better start than we did last time. The draw with Killie was woeful and of course, Rangers will be starting earlier this year, which as we seen last year, did no harm it getting them firing early on.

Kadlec may be a bit pricey apparently, but it really does pay to have a solid defence, especially in europe ffs. Get him signed Strachan.

I'm looking forward to the season starting immensely, we had players like Brown and Samaras on our bench last year, I hope they get in the first team.

Can seriously see Strachan sticking Brown right mid and Naka central, 4-5-1 in europe.

Frei would be a top signing, I think we need a striker in as well as the problem left-back spot, a top defender and a keeper if Artur goes.

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Kadlec may be a bit pricey apparently, but it really does pay to have a solid defence, especially in europe ffs. Get him signed Strachan.

I'm looking forward to the season starting immensely, we had players like Brown and Samaras on our bench last year, I hope they get in the first team.

Can seriously see Strachan sticking Brown right mid and Naka central, 4-5-1 in europe.

Frei would be a top signing, I think we need a striker in as well as the problem left-back spot, a top defender and a keeper if Artur goes.

I've seen Kadlec play 3 times now, twice for Sparta and once for Czech Rep vs Scotland.

Seems like a good player, actually scored in 2 of the games.

Originally posted by Mr Nice:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I dunno Samaras appears to have a first touch when I saw him play.

sometimes. It's generally the touches after that are the problem icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

His decision making is terrible, when he should shoot - he passes. When he should pass - he shoots.

Although, I would snare him for 3 million and also buy another, pacey striker.

forgetting Scott McDonald? your top scorer last year? seriously I hope Strachan looks for forwards and doesn't bother about the defence icon_cool.gif

losing Boruc and not replacing him could be fatal for you lot, but that central defensive pairing of McManus and Caldwell is not the most clever at times even you lot know that icon_wink.gif if he has any sense, he'll buy somebody to play with McManus or two DCs

Originally posted by TM:

losing Boruc and not replacing him could be fatal for you lot, but that central defensive pairing of McManus and Caldwell is not the most clever at times even you lot know that icon_wink.gif if he has any sense, he'll buy somebody to play with McManus or two DCs

icon_biggrin.gif

I think we need to be fair to Caldwell and McManus, the central defensive partnership that conceded the FEWEST goals in the SPL last season and they were not part of a line up that sometimes contained 6 centre backs in the starting line up!!

icon_cool.gif

Apparently interested in Darren Bent and Teh Pavlyuchenko.

Actually think Bent is a very decent forward, not worth the £16.5m Spurs spent on him, but decent nonetheless.

If we sign Pavlyuchenko I think I'll literally wet myself, would (personally at least) be the most exciting signing we've ever made.

Originally posted by Mr Nice:

the press are full of ****. Both way out of our price and wages range, besides i'd only have pavyluchenko anyway.

In other news, Skippy has signed a new 5 year deal icon_smile.gif

Last season 'Liewell' said he hoped we would progress to the 1/4's, the likes of Pavlyuchenko are needed to do this.

Hoops in swoop for kid Strachan

By Andrew Moir

Published: 18/06/2008

CELTIC today offered freed Dons defender Ryan Strachan an SPL lifeline.

The 17-year-old centre back was one of several youth players allowed to leave Pittodrie this summer.

But now the Scotland youth cap is heading to Parkhead next month for a month-long trial with the league champions as he looks to rebuild his career.

“I'm looking forward to training with Celtic,†said the former St Machar Academy pupil.

“Nothing has been decided yet but it’s a huge boost the team that won the league last season is looking at me.

“Celtic is a huge club and it would be great to get a chance with them but I’ll need to impress during the trial.

“I was disappointed when Aberdeen said they weren’t keeping me but I just have to look to recover from this setback.

“But hopefully I'll have something finalised within the next few weeks.â€

Dundee United, Inverness Caley Thistle and Motherwell are also clamouring for Strachan’s signature.

The SPL trio are all ready to offer him a chance if things fail to work out properly with the Hoops.

And Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood would love nothing more than to see the teen defender prove him wrong.

Calderwood said: “Telling young players like Ryan they are leaving is one of the hardest parts of the job.

“But I would be pleased to see him and all the rest of the lads get fixed up with other clubs as soon as they can.â€

The decision to release Strachan was certainly a surprise after the youngster won the Clydesdale Bank Premier League U19 rising star for February.

Neil McVitie, David Ross, Jordan Halsman, Martin Skinner and Greg Lamberty where also released along with Strachan.

Peterhead are tracking McVitie following a successful loan spell at Balmoor last season although Raith Rovers and Greenock Morton have also shown an interest.

Blue Toon boss Neale Cooper is also keen on David Ross and Martin Skinner.

Lamberty has joined Highland League side Huntly after leaving Pittodrie.

Meanwhile, Calderwood is still waiting on a decision from Alan Maybury as to whether he’s going to accept Aberdeen’s contract offer.

The full back has been offered the chance to pen a permanent Dons deal but has yet to make up his mind.

Several English clubs are reportedly running the rule over Maybury and he could yet opt to return south of the border.

The Republic of Ireland cap is expected to announce his plans soon.

McCourt poised for Celtic switch

Derry City winger Pat McCourt is set to snub West Bromwich Albion for a move to Scottish giants Celtic.

City and West Brom have agreed a transfer fee for the 24-year-old but it is believed McCourt prefers to join the SPL champions.

The former Northern Ireland U21 international with be in Glasgow on Thursday for talks with Celtic.

McCourt agreed personal terms with the Baggies last week and the deal is subject to him passing a medical.

Derry have refused to disclose the fee involved but it is believed to be substantially better than West Brom's initial offer, which the club said was derisory.

Kenny had partially blamed the long, drawn out negotiations with West Brom for City's poor form in the Eircom League.

It is thought that the Midlands club's initial offer for McCourt was in the region of £50,000.

From the BBC, strange signing if true.

Don't see the fuss with this signing.

We are signing a young winger with pace and alot of upside for what looks like 150k-250k. His wages will be low too.

He will provide much needed backup for the wings and we can see how he develops training in a better enviroment with better players.

We'd do well to bring in more of these type of players, it only takes one to do well to pay for the transfer fee/wages of 10 young players.

Originally posted by Anton:

We'd do well to bring in more of these type of players, it only takes one to do well to pay for the transfer fee/wages of 10 young players.

Agree completely. It's only an issue if that's the ONLY type of player we bring in. There'll be a box office signing for sure.

Archived