[FM10] Arsenal Career - more youth than a nursery!

arsenal_2111

Couldn't post my career before because I wasn't playing 09 when this forum was made - a bit disappointing, but I'm here for you all now <33333

Basically, every year I play a long term career as Arsenal. I don't actually support them anymore, support my local team Watford instead, but still find them great fun to play with.

I'm actually pretty bad at this game, because I end up playing youth too much and fail miserably for the first few seasons :D Only ever been sacked once though, and that was in 2022 at Blue Square South level!

I'm going to try and do two reviews a season. Firstly, I will do an end of December update with my summer transfers and early form. There will then be a more detailed, summer update going over my general performance. Well, that's if I get time to do that. I might splash in the odd teaser now and again, because I'm like that :p

The first two seasons will only have one update, because I've already done two and a half seasons and can't get many screenshots from seasons 1 and 2. So, for them, I will copy my posts straight from the GPTG Arsenal Thread. After those, I'll make them different to that thread.

I hope people enjoy reading my career - if you have any suggestions of what I could do to improve the reviews, let me know :thup:

Jammy

Transfers

Firstly, transfers. I decided that I wanted to invest mainly in youth, and that is what I did. I got a few big signings in, namely Clement Chantome, Guillermo Ochoa, Simon Vuckevic and Angel Di Maria. The rest of my signings were players for the future, and I had not planned for any to get regular first team football. From those, Moussa Sissoko, John Fleck, Nicolas Otamendi, Scott Loach and Ross Jenkins were the most promising to me.

TRANSFERS

Squad

It didn't really work like that. Whilst Chantome and Vukcevic got very few games, Nicolas Otamendi and Scott Loach both played fairly regularly, and to be fair they both did pretty well. Samir Nasri was another who I thought would play a lot, but his injury meant Di Maria played and impressed, so I couldn't leave him out. Aaron Ramsey was similar, he had too many players infront of him and my failure to loan him out probably hindered his development. Then there was Jack Wilshere, a player who I had expected to produce the goods. He did, with 5 goals and 8 assists. Fran Merida played an amazing 28 games, scoring 2 and setting up 4. Although this wasn't amazing, I was still pretty pleased with that. However, the most surprising player was, quite easily, Nacer Barazite. 14 goals and 6 assists was a fine return from a player who I had planned to sell, and only played because I had a major injury crisis. He'll defnitely be staying, and getting a lot more first team games.

BARAZITE STATS are there, and his BEST GAME is here. Give him a chance people!

Top Scorers

Bendtner - 19

van Persie - 16

Barazite - 14

Top Assisters

Di Maria - 14

Walcott - 10

van Persie - 9

MAIN SQUAD and BACKUP PLAYERS

Competitions

League

I really, really don't know where to start. There can be no justification for my performances in this competition, and after this I felt like I couldn't help others because I was so bad! If there was a reason, my constant rotation to give youth a chance was probably that.

TABLE

However, I was close to getting into the Champions League. It actually came down to the last day of the season, and at one point I was in 4th place.

BEFORE GAME I was 7th, behind Spurs, Everton and Man City. However, at HALF TIME I was in 4th place. Like you can see from the above screenshot however, I ended up in a disappointing 6th place. This was enough to get me into the Europa League next season, though.

RESULTS FROM FINAL DAY

European Competitions

These were almost as terrible as the league. I came third in my Champions League group, that contained Lyon, Atletico Madrid and Salzburg. This took me into the Europa League, first knockout round. I beat Sporting 3-2 on agg, then Bilbao 5-2 on agg. Bayern Munich were next, winning 5-4 on aggregate. However, my luck ended there and I lost 2-1 on agg to Zenit in the semi finals. They ended up losing to Fiorentina in the final.

Domestic Cups

Not terrible. In the FA Cup I started by beating Shrewsbury 3-0. Wilshere and Fleck (2) scored. The next round was the Southampton match from the Barazite screenshot above, his four goals winning the game 4-1. Next was Hull City, and again I won 3-0. Barazite scored 2 and Wilshere got 1. Then came Wigan, a tougher game but I still won 3-2 thanks to Barazite (2) and Vela. The semi finals came, and I beat Everton 2-0 with van Persie (only in due to Fleck injury) and that man Barazite scoring. However, I couldn’t go all the way and lost 2-1 to Man City in the final. A Jack Wilshere penalty couldn’t save us from a Tevez penalty and Kalou goal for Man City.

The League Cup wasn’t so good, the first game was drawn 1-1 against Sheff Wed. Carlos Vela equalised, and I won on penalties. The next game was similar, a 1-1 draw after extra time against Crystal Palace, this time Barazite scoring. This was a very young team, with the penalty takers Gibbs, Fleck, Salvio, Jenkins and Merida. However , it ended in the quarter finals. Chelsea beat me 2-1, even though I had a few first teamers (Otamendi, Bendtner and Senderos) playing. It was Bendtner who scored my goal, actually.

Okay, that's season 1 over. I'll wait a couple of days to do season 2.

Like I said, comments on how it could be improved are welcome. Cheers!

Jammy

Quite a disappointing season there arsenal 2111 if i'm honest. With the squad you have you should have been atleast challenging for the title I think but, I suppose if you're using a lot of youth, you need time and hopefully those players can develop in the future. Unlucky in the cups too, especially the FA Cup. It's never nice to lose on pens especially in the final, bet you was gutted.

Do you think you'll be able to continue your tradition of never getting sacked on FM's? Even with only a 6th place and a Europa League place?

As for the layout, it's clean and easy to follow with both a brief write up and screen shots...I like it. :thup:

How are you finding FM10? Easy to play? Any major issues you've found? I've not bought it myself...the first time ever!

Quite a disappointing season there arsenal 2111 if i'm honest. With the squad you have you should have been atleast challenging for the title I think but, I suppose if you're using a lot of youth, you need time and hopefully those players can develop in the future. Unlucky in the cups too, especially the FA Cup. It's never nice to lose on pens especially in the final, bet you was gutted.

Do you think you'll be able to continue your tradition of never getting sacked on FM's? Even with only a 6th place and a Europa League place?

As for the layout, it's clean and easy to follow with both a brief write up and screen shots...I like it. :thup:

How are you finding FM10? Easy to play? Any major issues you've found? I've not bought it myself...the first time ever!

Yeah, it was pretty terrible! I'm sure it will pay in the future though, good sacrifice!

I hope I can (although I remembered that I had been sacked once, in FM08, in 2022, in the BSS) avoid the sack, I'm not sure the FM board see it that youth will do well in the future!

In the FA Cup, I lost in normal time but my goal and their first goal were both penalties! Still, hard to take because the youth players did well.

I absolutely love FM10! Managed to get my tactic sorted, the backroom advice is amazing, UI is fab, it's quite easily the best game yet for me. No major issues - and I've actually been looking for them as a tester!

Thanks for your comments :)

And SJ, I know :D Who did you get your game from, Zavvi?

Yeah, it was pretty terrible! I'm sure it will pay in the future though, good sacrifice!

I hope I can (although I remembered that I had been sacked once, in FM08, in 2022, in the BSS) avoid the sack, I'm not sure the FM board see it that youth will do well in the future!

In the FA Cup, I lost in normal time but my goal and their first goal were both penalties! Still, hard to take because the youth players did well.

I absolutely love FM10! Managed to get my tactic sorted, the backroom advice is amazing, UI is fab, it's quite easily the best game yet for me. No major issues - and I've actually been looking for them as a tester!

Thanks for your comments :)

And SJ, I know :D Who did you get your game from, Zavvi?

Yeah i am a cheapskate :D

Season 2

Transfers

This was an interesting season for me in the transfers area. Only three players came in for first team football, and only two of these got it. Firstly, Curtis Davies came in from Villa, as an emergency signing on deadline day. This was because I only had Vermaelen and Senderos fit, so I decided to splash out. He did well in his first season as a backup defender. Then, Ibrahim Affellay was signed for £5.75mil and he various players complained about the amount of competition. As such, he (as well as Clement Chantome on loan to Hoffenheim) was sent straight out on loan to At Madrid. Lastly, Darijo Srna came in from Shakhtar. He was in the last year of his contract, and I didn’t want to risk losing out on him so paid £9.5mil for him. There were a few youth players that I think have big futures. Oscar Perea is a D RL, not the best but his versatility could get him into my first team. Then, Vitor Santos came in as a AM/F C and he has some potential, but probably won’t make it as a first team player. Lastly, Kamel Mejri signed from PSG and has made a few appearances. By no means world class, but he has the potential imo. The only notable sale was Simon Vukcevic, a player with amazing stats but he just couldn’t get into the team in front of Di Maria.

TRANSFERS

Squad

Well, the best player? VAN PERSIE. As you can see, 42 goals and 18 assists in 49 games was a fantastic return from a player who last season was average at best. Then CARLOS VELA 24 goals in 32 games, again a good return. He also improved a lot, as you can see from that screenshot. You can see for yourself who else had a good season – Theo Walcott, Philippe Senderos and Angel Di Maria were all impressive.

SQUAD or RESERVES

Competitions

League

A much easier season that last season, and one of which I easily got into the top 4. Still a way to go until I challenge for domestic honours, but I think it’s getting closer. I think one reason for my average position was because I always had so many games in hand, meaning I was playing a game every two games at the end of the season. After 5 OF MY GAMES, my title rivals had played 4 more games than me. Then, WHEN I HAD PLAYED 23, teams had played around 27.

Most entertaining game? 7-4 WIN AGAINST WOLVES

TABLE

European Competitions

WAHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! A trophy won! Yeah, so it was only the Europa League, but a 1-0 win against Bayern Munich in the final was pleasing and that’ll more than do me! I started with a 2nd place finish in the groups, below Olympiakos but below Moscow and Feyenoord. A 6-3 agg win over Roma came next, which was pleasing. I won the next round on away goals, a 3-3 away draw getting me through over Tottenham. Udinese fell in front of me, 7-3 on aggregate. Then, a 3-1 aggregate win over Leverkusen came in the semi finals. Like I’ve already said, I won the trophy with a 1-0 win over Bayern Munich, a Nicklas Bendtner goal in the 15th minute winning it.

FINAL GAME

Domestic Cups

These were nothing special, in the FA Cup I beat Stoke 1-0, then won on penalties after drawing 3-3 with Oldham before winning on penalties. Nottingham Forest were next, a 2-1 win. This year ended with a 2-0 loss to Man Utd, disappointing but expectable seeing as I play my youth/reserves in the cups. Then, the Carling Cup. Started with a 2-1 win to Burnley, then beating Fulham 2-0. I beat Portsmouth 2-1 in the quarter final, but it ended in the semi final against Liverpool, 3-2 on aggregate.

Thanks for reading!

Any screenshots or anything else, just ask!

Season 3

Transfers

This was a very fun transfer window. Not only did I break my FM Transfer record, but I also sold 3 players for £10mil+. The obvious talking point is Ashley Young. As a Watford fan, he’s one of my favourite players and I couldn’t resist the urge to sign him. A hefty £28million was spent on him, but in my opinion it was more than worth it. The second expensive player was probably too much, but when I saw him I decided it was too good to turn down. It was the last day of the season, and I decided to spend £14.5million on ALEXANDRE . The rest were all young players, however CLEMERSON came for just £325k and went into the first team squad.

TRANSFERS

Squad

My squad is getting a bit too big, but a bit of backup never hurt anyone did it? It certainly hasn’t for my team, with not one player complaining about lack of first team football. The best player for this season was obviously Robin van Persie, 47 goals and 18 assists in 45 appearances, contributing to an average of 7.67 for the season. The rest of the squad were all good, there wasn’t anyone that I was too disappointed with. Carlos Vela played well, although all but about 5 of his goals came in the first half of the season. Then, Jack Wilshere did very well too. Average ratings say that, with 7.40, he was my 3rd best player. I disagree with this, he didn’t make enough appearances (19 starts and 8 subs) to warrant this. But still, my coaches all regard him as my best attacking midfielder and he will be playing more from next season. Then again, I got an average of 2.81 points with him in the team! Ashley Young was the last player to do exceptionally. 15 goals and 29 assists was an incredible return, and I’m pleased that I splashed out on him. More than worth it. Other stand out performers were Cesc Fabregas (10 goals 13 assists in 45 games), Nicklas Bendtner (19 goals in 27 games)

There are a few youth players who I expect big things from. The only one who is playing in the first team is ROBSON MARIANO. 4 goals and 4 assists from 4 (10) games was exceptional, especially considering that this was only from the second half of the season. He’s one to watch, his technical stats aren’t the best but his amazing pace and acceleration mean he could be a left sided Walcott. Other players that I think have high potential include MARK KETTLE, NICK SOUTHERN (I’m still not sure if he’s a DC or ST, any ideas? I’ve got him as a ST atm), TEO VIENNET and JOMAR TOLEDO. Then there was my player who came from the academy, JASON OSBOURNE. He soon became my YOUNGEST SCORER, but hasn’t developed much and his poor physical stats are a huge negative point.

Top Goalscorers

Robin van Persie – 47

Carlos Vela – 29

Nicklas Bendtner - 19

Top Assisters

Ashley Young – 29

Robin van Persie – 18

Cesc Fabregas - 13

Best Av Ratings

Robin van Persie – 7.67

Ashley Young – 7.43

Jack Wilshere – 7.40

SQUAD and RESERVES

Competitions

League

Great season, couldn’t have wanted much better to be honest. I was consistant all through the season, with a couple of silly losses against low teams like Burnley (4-3) and West Brom (4-2). If I can cut out the mistakes, I reckon I can win this next year.

Best games include;

2-2 v Man Utd where I came back from 2-0 down with a 90th minute Sissoko equaliser

5-1 v Man City, absolutely tearing them apart on their patch

5-3 Man Utd where I came back from 3-1 down on 75 minutes, to score 4 in the last quarter of an hour.

TABLE

European Competitions

This wasn’t brilliant. Firstly, I beat Dinamo Kiev 6-2 on aggregate to qualify for the group stages. Then, I won my group quite easily, finished on 14 points in first place. This was above At Madrid, with Benfica getting 3rd place and Napoli finishing bottom. I got a dream draw in the first knockout round, against FC Kopenhavn. I beat them 6-0 on agg, two 3-0 wins making this an easy round. However, Liverpool beat me in the quarter finals, 4-1 on agg. The first game, at The Emirates, ended in a 1-1 draw and they beat me 3-0 at New Anfield. Liverpool went on to win the tournament, so at least I know I lost to the Champions!

There was a fantastic game in the group, against Benfica. On 15 minutes, I WAS 4-0 UP with van Persie (2), Otamendi and Fabregas scoring. Although it slowed down from there, a full time SCORE OF 6-2 was still pleasing.

Domestic Cups

Both went very well, and once again I had my youth player in both tournaments.

The League Cup campaign started with a 2-1 win over Sheff Utd, and the next round Birmingham fell 4-1. Then, Wolves were beaten 1-0 in the quarter finals, before I beat Chelsea 5-3 on aggregate in the semis. Unfortunately, a lacklustre display lead to a 1-0 loss to Tottenham in the final.

LEAGUE CUP FINAL

The FA Cup started with a disappointing 2-1 win over Crewe, although Jason Osbourne scored becoming the youngest ever scorer which was an obvious plus factor. The next round was much better, I held out for 86 minutes against Man Utd after an early Ashley Young screamer. I came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with Man City in the next round, before winning 4-3 in the replay (coming back from 2-0 down this time!). I then beat Crystal Palace 4-0 in the quarter final, before beating Wigan 2-0 in the semi final. However, it was the final where it got really exciting, playing Liverpool. After 13 minutes, I was 2-0 behind to two Andrei Gapanenko goals. A Robson Mariano goal got me back into it, then just before half time Ashley Young scored to equalise for me. In the 87th minute, Aaron Ramsey scored an absolute screamer to win the game, and the trophy, for Arsenal. CRASH, BANG, WALLOP! Amazing finish to a great season for me.

FA CUP FINAL

All this success took me up to 2ND IN THE WORLD RANKINGS!

Awards

My team and players (well, van Persie!) won quite a lot this season! Players’ Team of the Year – Team

Most Goals in Premier League Season – Team

European Player of the Year – van Persie

English Footballer of the Year – van Persie

European Golden Boot – van Persie

World Player of the Year – van Persie

World Team of the Year – van Persie

Premier League Top Goalscorer – van Persie

Premier League Highest Average Rating – van Persie

Most Premier League Goals in a Season – van Persie

Fans Player of the Year – van Persie

Thanks for reading!

Archived