[FM10] "Waking the sleeping giant"

jackripper

Cardiff City Football Club (Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Caerdydd) is a football team based in Cardiff, Wales. Cardiff are currently playing in the Football League Championship. Cardiff City play their home games at the Cardiff City Stadium. Until May 2009, Cardiff played at Ninian Park.

Cardiff City were founded in 1899 and are the only non-English side to have won any of the three major English competitions. They won the FA Cup in 1927, during a decade when they were one of the strongest sides in the English league, finishing runners-up in 1923–24 and also losing 1–0 to Sheffield United in the FA Cup Final of 1925. They have also been regular winners of the Welsh Cup, and as the winner of the Cup in 1966–67 gained entry to the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, reaching the semi-finals in 1967–68.[1] They played in old Football League First Division periods of 1921–29, 1952–57 and 1960–62.

Their history in recent years has been less successful but they have made some improvement in the last few seasons. In 1986, they were relegated to the Fourth Division, and over the next 14 years slipped into the league's basement division three times. In 1996 they were the league's third lowest placed team. However, a Football League Second Division playoff triumph in 2003 lifted them into the Football League First Division; In the 2008–09 season they failed to make the play-offs for the Premier League on goals scored to Preston on the final day of the season.

Dave Jones decided he felt he took Cardiff as far as he could so decided to step down after narrowly missing out on the playoffs by one goal. The Cardiff City chairman Peter Risdale stepped right into action and decided to hire someone local from within the city. Some one who he feels could take Cardiff that one goal better and to the promised land of Premier League football. The setting is there with the new Stadium opening for this season. Peter made possibly the biggest gamble since his Leeds days when he decided to save a few quid in the coffers and bringing some one relatively unknown. Step forward myself Sean Parrish.

I had plenty of local football experience plying my trade at Barry Town as player and now manager and winning the league last season was sending my name through the ranks at Cardiff City. Mr Risdale called me up and told me the truths about the finances which werent the greatest as i would later learn my Transfer budget would be a measly £0. I walked into my office and met Terry Burton my assistant manager who gave me the run down on the players we had at the club and possible transfer targets. The first team consisted of very good players with the likes of Chopra and Mccormack and of course Joe Ledley.

Pre Season-Transfer Window 2009/10

I had a look at the freindlies we had coming up and decided some of them i would cancel and try to attract bigger opposition especialy with the new stadium which i could use as a lure. I got on the phone straight away and offered Arsenal Liverpool and Glasgow Rangers as the teams id like to entertain. With £300k coming in from each game and payments of £85k to each team the money i raised would be welcome into the club coffers. All teams agreed the deals so with that we were set. I didnt think to much of the results as they were going to be tough games but this was purely down to money.As they say every little helps. I met with Peter in his office to talk about a possible parent club and feeder club to which he agreed he would have a seacrh and see what would be best for Cardiff City. So my freindles now all confirmed as a game against the reserve team to have a chance to see everyone. Then Liverpool, Arsenal then Stevenage followed by Chasetown and Glasgow Rangers. The results against the big ones i accepted as were definatly not in the same league as possible Premier League favourites. The lower class i was more than happy with my strikers were scoring and with Mccormack and Chopra as my 1st choice Strikers i was excited. The freindly results are below.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff.jpg

Transfers

With no money to enter the transfer market i knew it would be down to mostly loans and possibly sell some players. My coach picked up in our last meeting that we are one of the oldest teams in the league so i decided to address that straight away and put Gavin Rae, Stephen Mcphail Mark Kennedy, Miguel Commingues and Jay bothroyd who for some reason i didnt rate. Offers came in the next day with me accepting a bid of £80k for Kennedy from Leeds. Gavin Rae moved to West Brom for £275k and Boro signing Jay Bothroyd for £1.1 milion and Commingues accepted a contract offer from the newlsy rich Notts county for £160k. I was happy we raked in just over £1.6mil for players who i felt were now either to old to last the pace or just unfortunatly not needed. I delved into the loan market and had a few talks with other managers many from the premier league. I decided that my aim was to rebuild with youth and give it a chance to shine or maybe fade away. I made bids for Richie Da Laet and Matt James from Manchester United. I wasnt to keen on Matt James but Fergie gave me outstanding reviews saying he could possibly become the next David Beckham. I also took Jose Baxter on loan from Everton aswell. I did decide to offer for a few others mainly Jack Wilshere and Fran Merida from Arsenal but they werent interested as they felt they had the chance to break into the 1st team set up at Arsenal. The good part for me on these deals were that wages would be fully covered by there clubs respectivaly and for season long term also. My last signing would be Rohan Ricketts who was on the free market i snapped him up with him being good cover for me considering he played every position in the midfeild and of course he was free to which meant i couldnt really lose. Transfers below.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff2.jpg

Key Player

With some money in the back pocket i decided to get to a major problemwhich Dave jones couldnt sort and that was Joe Ledly's contract which was now running out at the end of the season. I tied him down to a 4 year contract knowing he would be essential to me taking this club forward. With the opening game against Scunthorpe coming up i had a good enough sqaud that i felt would get us that one step further than last season. With Joe tied down for his best years i decided to make him captain of the team especially with him being Cardiff born and bred it only make sense. Everyone else agreed even the local press were singing my praises for tying Joe down to the club with many feeling that Dave Jones was about to lose there star player. Joe would be very important to me the club and himself.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff3.jpg/url]

Latest summary

My squad now fully complete and a possible first 11 in my mind that i thought would do some damage in this league i was very happy with myself. I had gotten the age down dramatically and the wage bill cut and also i found myself with money to spend if i needed it, A little amount at that. One final check and me and my team are raring to go so join the rollercoaster ride that is Cardiff City and hope you enjoy. Peter came to me just as we speak and has told me good news that Chelsea would become our parent club. One of the richest teams in the world could surely only help up out. That im happy with even if i do confess to being a Manchester United fan.

p.s Im going to update next when i get to next transfer window any advice would be welcome thanks

End of Season review 2009/10

Fixtures/Results

Well what a season thats all i can say. We seemed to do well against the higher opposition and went on a good unbeaten run which propelled us into 6th for a while then with about 6 games to go we started scoring goals goals goals which moved us into 3rd behind West Brom and Derby. West Brom were clearly running away with it and catching Derby was doable if we carried on playing. One game that deserves a special mention was the home derby against Swansea which we won after losing the first game. The fans were happy and so was i. We had some great results which saw us finish as the top scorers in the league with Mccormack and Chopra forming a deadly partnership up front. The most enjoyable game would be the 5-4 away win against Reading where we came back from 2 goals down to take all 3 points. Last few fixtures would see us entertain Reading Sheff wednesday and Nottm forest who were all with us fighting for the Play off places. We were in a comfortable position 3rd with a 6 point gap but our last 3 games we stopped scoring and lost them all but luckily for us we made it with 2 points to spare.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff4.jpg

Playoffs

So we took that one step further than last year we would finally get our chance of moving up to the greatest league of them all. We drew Sheff Wednesday and would be at home first so as long as we got a result here we would be set up nicely. 2 goals from ross Mccormack put us 2-0 up but in the 90th 'the fox in the box' Franny Jeffers pulled one back so we would be taking a slim advantage into the away leg at hillsborough but it was a lead neverless. Chopra was unfortuantly on a drought possibly due to me rushing him back but he was needed so if he was 78 percent fit he would play.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff5-2.jpg

The second leg of the play off was us start not so good when Sheff Wed were awarded a penalty after 5 mins so upstep my keeper to pull off a magnificent save that would no doubt turn the match as soon as they missed Mcormack scored at the other end to give us a 1-0 lead. Ross Mccormack the £100k signing then ten times his value when he bagged another 2 and his hat trick within 57 minutes 3-0 and we were cruising. Some of my players were already celebrating when Sheff Wednesday scored and scored again. It was now 3-2 to us but 4-2 on agg. Luckily we held on and for the first time in Cardiff's history we were in the play off final. Who would be next? In the other Semi final Middlesborough would be taking on Reading who after the 1st leg boro camr away with a 2-1 win. The second leg though showed Readings class as they trounced sorry Boro 5-0. So the final would be Cardiff Vs Reading and after our 5-4 league game who knows whats going to happen?

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff6.jpg

Play Off Final 2009/10

With my players prepared i was sweating on the fitness of my captain Joe Ledley who would have a late fitness test. If i was going to get anything from here apart from disappointment he would have to play. An hour before K.O he pulled through which was a boost to the whole squad. We knew theyd be up for it and we had to match them. The match kicked off and within 20 minutes we made the first attack and scored with Mccormack opening the scoring.Reading then pulled one back and then on the 69th minute the went 2-1 ahead. I changed the tactics and just thought id go for it and went into overload which clearly worked as in the 80th minute that man Mcoormack pulled us level and heading straight into Extra Time.

Extra Time was the most breathtaking 30minutes i had witness this season with Mcormack completing his hat trick by adding 2 in the first half of extra time and before the whistle blew Reading pulled one back. Game on as we kicked off the second half we were 15 minutes away from the premier league but disaster as Reading equalise on the 114th minute which really made me feeling a bit nervous. The final whistle blew as the most entertaining play off final you will ever see would head into penalties after an amazing 4-4 draw. I picked my players knowing that we had some very good penatly takers in the team. Mccormack Eduai Whittingham Chopra and Da Laeat would be my penatly takers and the first 4 of us both scored so 4-4 and up steps my defender from Man united Da Leat if he misses it could spell disaster but if he scores who knows what this could do fos the youngsters career. He didnt disapoint and put us in the driving seat 5-4. Reading had to score and up step Jimmy Kebe who looked nervous as he slwoly walked down the pitch ball in hand. He places the ball down and just staers at the ball he takes a run up and my keeper Dave Marhsall produced an excellent save which meant we won 5-4 and we were going to the destined land of the Premier League

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff7.jpg

January Transfers

when my sub keeper Peter Enkleman got injured i decided to go to my reserve team and couldnt find any good keepers so i delved into the transfer market and put a bid in for Man United youngster Ben Amos for £600k. Not only is he a good young goalkeeper he wouldnt moan at not playing as much. He accepeted the contract offer and would join us right away. I was then offered a 20 year old spanish centre midfeilder for £1.1milion. Edu Bedia was his name. i didnt have that type of cash so i tabled a bid of 300k which they shockingly accepted. We spoke with Edu and told him the plans and showed him around which he seemed to be impressed with especialy as he signed the contract straight away. He would go straight into my team. He would become invaluable to me. Profile below.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff8.jpg

Key Player

with many to choose from it was a very hard decision but i had to go with Ross Mcormack who had a brilliant season with goals from everywhere he was a diamond and he virtually on his own won us the play offs with 2 hat tricks in those 3 games. So bow down Ross Mcormack and maybe you'l get that MBE who knows?

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff11.jpg

The league table is below

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff9.jpg

Team review

My team i couldnt ask for more my strike partnership was one of the deadliest in england possibly europe too with Mccormack scoring 46 goals in 49 appaerance and Chopra scoring 41 in 51 games so just under a hundred goals between them so i couldnt have asked for more. My midfeild would consist of Whitting out left Burke out right with Ledley and Bedia in the middle who would support the others around him. Some strong performances from the midfield enabled the goals to be scored with great supply. The defence however felt there could be a massive improvement here. Some silly goals were giving away as i couldnt find my right partnerhip i opted for Mcnaughton left back right back would be Paul quinn with da Laet and gyepes in the centre back slots. So overall i was happy with my squad but losing Da Laet Baxter and james returning to there clubs after there loans finished i knew id have to buckle down and strengthen my squad if were going to survive in the Premier League.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff10.jpg

World Information

Chelsea won the premier league with Arsenal, Spurs and Man utd trailing in there wake. The Fa Cup was won by Man United while mega rich Man city won the league cup. Relegated from the Premier league would be Stoke, Hull and Portsmouth. Fiorentina won Seria A, While Celtic won the Scotts prem with Rangers finishing 3rd behind dundee. Real Madrid had won La liga with Barca coming 2nd.

The biggest transfers to date would be Phillipe Mexes to R.Madrid from roma for £26milion then Manchester United hold the next 3 spots with signings of Maxi Rodriguez, Mirko vucinic and Edin dzeko. elsewhere Cassano moved to Chlesea, Lucas and Brighi joined the Man City revelotuion. Leading transfers below.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/seanparrish/cardiff12.jpg

so all in a brilliant season and now while my players go on a deserved holiday i will continue looking at making sure we survive relegation from the greatest league in the world. Its going to be tough but we love a challenge.......................

Archived