Steam Question about licences & install

i have played fm series since it begun and have always used the disk and never gone through the steam option before.

i had preordered a copy from zavvi but have now cancelled this as they have not evern dispatched the game yet and with a 3 day postal strike on as of today i can pretty much guarantee i wont get the game this weekend.

therefore for the 1st time ever i am considering ordering via steam this morning but have a couple of questions:

a) i like to have my pc at home as the main pc and also my pc at work as i get a bit of time at work. if i download via steam at work will it let me then download the game on my home pc also?

b) if this is possible how do i play the same game save at both my home and work pc?

any help would be appreciated in making my decision.

cheers

Yes, assuming you're allowed to install Steam at work, and there are no problems with that port being blocked by your company's firewall, you can install and play FM on more than one PC via your Steam account.

You would need to transfer the saved game, probably via a USB pen, or other flash drive, between each computer before and after each session. The saved game is located in your My Docs folder.

I do exactly the same, and have never had any problems.

As for swapping between computers - I save ALL my documents onto the memory stick (tactics, training, saved games, basically the whole SI folder) and I use the stick to load and save the game - rather than it going onto the actual computer.

Pretty sure you'll have to re-install.

One of the moderators was saying on another thread that you wont have to reinstall. I'd post the link to this thread but cant remember whereI saw it as I was just scanning quickly looking for the online fm2010 manual.

One of the moderators was saying on another thread that you wont have to reinstall. I'd post the link to this thread but cant remember whereI saw it as I was just scanning quickly looking for the online fm2010 manual.

where is the manual?

wasn't it supposed to be released before the game release?

I just saw this on the online manual:

Football Manager™ 2010 has 2 choices available for installation - using Steam or an offline system:

• Steam is an online system that will automatically update your game if there are patches or data updates available, and also provides exclusive downloads and "achievements" for Football Manager™ 2010 to track how you are doing in the game compared to your friends. You can also play the game on any PC that has an internet connection without needing the DVD!

• If you choose not to install via Steam, you do not need to be online, but the installation DVD must be present in the DVD drive at all times to be able to play the game.

I thought Steam was involved only if bought the game through it, so now i am not sure how to do. Does anyone know how much linked the FM game will be if i do select to install it with steam?, will i need to start steam everytime i want to play FM?, or how does it work?

are you asking if you need to start steam (and keep it running) the entire time your playing? or is it do you need to be connected to the net through steam the entire time? not quite sure which.

Sorry if wasn't clear, well the thing is i already got an steam account (playing counter strike: source alot) and when playing that game i need to have steam up and running for as long as i want to play counter strike , so was wondering if i will need to do the same with FM if i do select to use steam to install FM 10.

It is possible to play a STEAM game while offline i believe, from STEAM's website...

Question

What is Steam's Offline Mode and how do I use it?

Answer

Important:

The Steam client application's files must be updated to allow for the use of Offline Mode. If your game's status is "100% - Ready" but you receive the message "This game cannot be started in Offline Mode" when attempting to play offline, the Steam client application's files need to be updated.

Firewall settings preventing Steam from updating itself are the most common cause for this problem. Please see the Troubleshooting Network Connectivity topic for instructions to configure your network so Steam may update if you encounter any difficulties with Offline Mode.

What is Offline Mode?

Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Using Offline Mode

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your machine:

Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked

Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the My Games tab (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)

Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played

Go to Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected

From the main Steam window, go to File and select Go Offline

Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode

You can have it running in offline mode, and it still works:thup:
It is possible to play a STEAM game while offline i believe, from STEAM's website...

Question

What is Steam's Offline Mode and how do I use it?

Answer

Important:

The Steam client application's files must be updated to allow for the use of Offline Mode. If your game's status is "100% - Ready" but you receive the message "This game cannot be started in Offline Mode" when attempting to play offline, the Steam client application's files need to be updated.

Firewall settings preventing Steam from updating itself are the most common cause for this problem. Please see the Troubleshooting Network Connectivity topic for instructions to configure your network so Steam may update if you encounter any difficulties with Offline Mode.

What is Offline Mode?

Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Using Offline Mode

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your machine:

Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked

Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the My Games tab (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)

Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played

Go to Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected

From the main Steam window, go to File and select Go Offline

Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode

the way i read that he wanted to play fm2010 without steam running at all. i knew offline mode was possible but i wasnt sure if you could play a game activated through steam without steam running.

I'm just not so keen on the thought that i need to use Steam to play FM at all, it's one thing when you bought the game online without a disc , i did that with counter strike but when you do have bought the game with a disc i don't see the point really to need to use steam to install it. Of course it's nice that the game keep it self updated , i guess i have to decide on the matter tomorrow when i get the game.

Thanks alot for the help stevie_G_32201 and bcooper :)

I'm asking about another option if possible;

I'm currently not on the net (well i'm using a dongle atm so have a download limit) so i want to install it using the disk and activate it offline.

Is it possible if i get the internet to un-install the game then re-install it through STEAM and download it so the disk is no longer needed?

Archived