Optimum League Setup

I have roughly one save per version and I'm always searching for the most ideal setup. In past games I've had just english leagues selected for speed and this is ok but feels limited after a while. For FM09 I had all playable leagues in england, france, germany, italy and spain. It was a little slow and I didnt use many of the leagues.

For this incarnation I'm thinking all of england and scotland (i'm a sucker for lower league style management) and only the top leagues from 5 or 6 europena nations. I might have a south american country on view only as theres lots of traffic of players into europe from there What setups do you guys have, one of you might suggest one I want to try.

I'd just listen to the game. It has a rating for how fast it will be based on your setup. I'm running 29 leagues from 16 nations with a 4 star rating.

I know roughly how much my computer can do, I'm just wondering whats the optimum between having depth in a smaller number of countries or a thin spread over lots of countries.

Im starting to sway towards a thin spread but all in england

From my short experience with FM10 it seems that players loaded really kill your computer, not leagues. Adding leagues hardly reduces game speed rating while Adding players(Gill's file) destroys the game speed rating to 2 1/2 stars. However, since my computer rating is 5 stars I don't really see any slowdown but this is just a warning for others.

Ok. I have a question that relates to this, and bear with me if this sounds complicated but:

I don't have the fastest machine in the world: dual core 2.5ghz, 4 gb ram and as the OP said, I would like to optimize the performance - ie, I don't want any leagues running that I don't actually need.

The reason I'm saying this is that I plan to play @ Level 10 and there's 60-odd leagues at that level. Will I have to load all 60 in order for my team (unlikely as it sounds) to go up the ranks all the way to the Premiership, or could I not make some of those leagues non playable to speed up the game a little?

Obviously my team at level 10 can't play in all of those leagues so can I just make the leagues playable that my chosen team CAN play in?

Sorry if that's confusing a little :)

Archived