[FM10] Pro Vercelli - restoring former glories mkII

Redhawk.

untitled2.jpg

Unione Sportiva Pro Vercelli Calcio were formed in 1903 from the Società Ginnastica Pro Vercelli (Gymnastics Society). Success very quickly followed, with the 'White Shirts' winning the National title in both 1908 and 1909. 1910 saw them lose the title to Internazionale, after a dispute over arranged fixtures. Nevertheless, the Leoni (Lions, because of their notoriously hard tackles) went on to capture a hat-trick of title is 1911, 1912 and 1913. Such was the little rice town's dominance of football in the country that fully nine of the national first eleven played for Vercelli. Pro were leaders in youth development and fitness during this period, with ten of the first eleven hailing from Vercelli itself.

After the First World War, Vercelli captured another title in 1921, and again in 1922. Thereafter they remained one of the top teams until just before the Second World War but failed in any attempts to capture the top step.

A decline was beginning even before their relegation in 1934. As a small town, they could not afford to keep players in an increasingly professional time. During their decline they managed to produce one last golden egg - Silvio Piola, the player Vercelli's stadium is named after. One of the Italian greats, he scored 290 goals both before and after the Second World War.

The year of Piola's sale to Lazio (1934) saw them relegated and they have struggled in the lower divisions since, facing bankruptcy on a number of occasions, with only a couple of Serie D wins to their name.

Coming soon....

Meanwhile you might want to peruse the first episode...

Welcome to the forums Redhawk. I've just had a read of your linked 'first episode' and I have to say I enjoyed it and am impressed at the work you did at Pro Vercelli. Good luck with part two on FM10 and I shall be following. Hopefully you can have similar success :D

Boardroom expectations: Top-half finish

Wage Budget: £14.7k

Transfer Budget: £56k

This is pleasing as it removes a bit of pressure from me and the team in my first season. Even though the bookies made ourselves and Spezia joint favourites for promotion.

All transfers brought in were on frees or loans. Bruno N'Gotty was my first signing, on a free transfer. Giordano Vanin was signed as a GK, not brilliant but better than those I had. Massimiliano Esposito was signed on reccommendation from my backroom staff, an MC, as was Vitagliano, another MC. Vettori, a roung right-back was signed on loan from Fiorentina.

But the three real coups in the transfer department were Carlos Marinelli, Patricio Graff and Salvatore Fresi! Mega chuffed to get all three of these, especially the unlikely signing of Marinelli. I beat off competition from Serie B clubs for Fresi and Graff is top quality for this level. Those with retentive memories may remember I had Fresi in my last Vercelli adventure.

CarlosMarinelli.png

PatricioGraff.png

SalvatoreFresi.png

Unfortunately I'm really under pressure to deliver this season as I am £5k over the wage budget after these signings :/

Good luck Redhawk, I'll be following this with interest.

It's a save I've considered before, but decided against - just because the colours are the same as Juve :( and IIRC Juve are one of their affiliated clubs LOL.

BTW I remember when Inter signed Fresi in '95 and there really was high hopes for him, but it never really materialised.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived