Question on Players Attributes and Preffered foot

Hi.

So I did this research on this subject, but failed to find any answers (and questions) on it.

As I have noticed, when a player (Player A) has both feet very strong, his attributes will not be as good as a player (player B) with one foot very strong and the other very weak. Btw, in this case, Player A has better CA than Player B.

The point is, as Player B is one footed, he seems to have way better attributes than Player A, thus making him seem much better.

This is confusing me as you say that attributes is what affects the ME. So in this case, Player B is obviously better than Player A.

But my question is, as the ''preffered foot'' has a big impact on CA (thus affecting attributes), does it have as big impact on the ME aswell?

I mean, even though Player A has lower attributes, is he in fact better than Player B, due to his strong feet (as the CA states)?

A good example of this is, Luca Modric, he has great CA, but not attributes which sums up to his CA due to his strong feet. I'm sure I have seen players with better overall attributes than him, but with lower CA and weaker foots. So who should you pick?

Can someone please clarify this,

thank you.

Hopefully the weighting that the game gives to the weak foot of a player in its CA is appropriate and the player is indeed as good as its CA suggests, but I don't think it is easy for anyone besides to SI to verify if this is the case or not. I should say though that the weight of the weak foot as decreased a lot in FM09 and Fm10 from the major weight it carried in CA in FM08, and this was definitely a positive development.

Hopefully the weighting that the game gives to the weak foot of a player in its CA is appropriate and the player is indeed as good as its CA suggests, but I don't think it is easy for anyone besides to SI to verify if this is the case or not. I should say though that the weight of the weak foot as decreased a lot in FM09 and Fm10 from the major weight it carried in CA in FM08, and this was definitely a positive development.

Thanks for the reply..

So would you pick the player with weaker feet, but better attributes infront of the player, who has better CA, has strong feet, but lower attributes?

A scout would most definitely recommend the player with higher CA but lower attributes.

I accept it's difficult to answer. Just want your views on this.

I personally would pick the player with lower attributes, as I believe there's a reason the scout rates him higher. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.

Well, as I said, I hope that the game is indeed weighting the weak foot correctly in the CA, taking into account the impact that the weak foot has on the match engine, so yes, I would choose the player with higher Scout recommendation (which correlates with the CA) over players which seem to have better attributes but with less stars in the scout report.

Well, as I said, I hope that the game is indeed weighting the weak foot correctly in the CA, taking into account the impact that the weak foot has on the match engine, so yes, I would choose the player with higher Scout recommendation (which correlates with the CA) over players which seem to have better attributes but with less stars in the scout report.

Agree.

Although, you often see comments like ''Always choose players by attributes, not by CA/Stars'', which imo isn't always right.

Quick question, but why were singled footed players rated higher in terms of attributes than a player that was two footed, surely it should be the other way around? :)

Because this ''preffered foot'' thing has a pretty big impact on the player's CA. So, if a player is strong with both feet, his attributes won't be as high as it probably should, because his CA would then grow too big, thus making him too good.

This is what I've read, and noticed aswell.

Has the weighting not been changed for FM10? One-footed players seem to have been toned down a fair bit this time around, judging by the demo anyway.

Ok, Maybe it's been better than before, but I'm still seeing this.

I can give you an example. I was scouting several left wingers (Being Man Utd), and Modric ended up being my scout's best rated. Even though he don't have that high attributes, I'm pretty sure it's because both of his feet are very strong. I'm sure some of the other players I scouted had better attributes than Modric. But they didn't have as strong feet as him.

It's up to the researchers to distribute the CA-points on attributes. It doesn't necessarily make them slower, but it does leaves less point to be distributed on attributes so a researcher might have to reduce pace or other physical attributes to balance it out.

The weak foot rating take CA-points just as any attribute would do. How much the weak foot is worth in terms of CA-points depends on the players preferred position.

Because this ''preffered foot'' thing has a pretty big impact on the player's CA. So, if a player is strong with both feet, his attributes won't be as high as it probably should, because his CA would then grow too big, thus making him too good.

This is what I've read, and noticed aswell.

Ok cheers mate.

Ok, Maybe it's been better than before, but I'm still seeing this.

I can give you an example. I was scouting several left wingers (Being Man Utd), and Modric ended up being my scout's best rated. Even though he don't have that high attributes, I'm pretty sure it's because both of his feet are very strong. I'm sure some of the other players I scouted had better attributes than Modric. But they didn't have as strong feet as him.

Yeah I scouted Modric and my scout loved him and I was not sure as I thought that there were better players for that position. So that would explain it then. :)

Yeah I scouted Modric and my scout loved him and I was not sure as I thought that there were better players for that position. So that would explain it then. :)

Yeah, I bet he would have incredible attributes, if one of his foot were very weak (to make the CA accurate).. :rolleyes:

i don't understand. researchers rate CA or attributes or both? so they make some stats worse than they actually are to satisfy their CA biasms?

As I have understood so far, if they decrease some attributes (due to strong feet), the strong feet would make it up again. In other words, the player won't be any worse, probably better if anything. That's why I don't think attributes tells everything about a player's ability. It's rather a combination between how strong the player are with both of his feet (I'm not sure if this impact has been more toned for FM10 though), and his attributes.

Still not sure though, this is just my thought. Would like to hear more opinions on this. :)

Yeah, I bet he would have incredible attributes, if one of his foot were very weak (to make the CA accurate).. :rolleyes:

Yeah but basically two footed players (all decent players should be two footed in my opinion) are been downgraded becasue they are better then their one footed counterparts. To me this does not make sense. I understand that the two footed players need to be capped but why should this effect the level of ability of a player. :)

Weak foot being treated just like any attribute and therefore "costing" some CA points makes a lot of sense to me. Nevertheless, the implementation of this idea has been problematic in FM... first because its importance was way overrated in FM08 (I don't think it is as important anymore in FM09 or FM10). Second, because, while weak foot is an attribute just like any other, we don't get to see its 1-20 value like in all the other attributes, getting instead somewhat generic description (weak, average, strong, etc) which makes this attribute be overlooked by most human players.

It doesn't!! A player with passing 18 and strong right foot and weak left foot, will pass just as well with his right foot as a player with passing 18 and strong right foot and strong left foot... the issue is that, everything else being equal, a player with a strong left foot is better than a player with a weak left foot, therefore if a player has a weak left foot and a different player has a strong left foot, for both to have the same Current Ability, the second player has to have some attribute lower than the first player.

problems occure when researchers put 'incorrect' number for weak foot (mostly it's too low). so you end up with database full of avarage players having superb attributes. with newgens and players with blank attributes there's the same problem.

basicly this issue is uncontrolable unfortunatly.

Two footedness is just like any other attribute, if a player has it and you set him up tactically to take advantage of it, he wil play better because of it. It costs CA points because a two footed player is clearly better than a one footed player wth the exact same other attributes.

In my opinion two-footedness shouldn't be included in the CA count since i think the attributes should represent the actual ability of the player, so Ben Arfa should look better than Aquino but when they are both at their peaks, Aquino looks like a god but Ben Arfa looks only good.

It depends on his position, but basically don't have two footed wingers only hugging the touchline or only cutting in, leave them on mixed. E.g. if you have a two footed right winger hugging the touchline he will only really get to the byline and cross with his right, he'll make no use of his left. But if you let him either cross with his right or cut in and shoot with his left he'll be a massively more dangerous player.

Two footedness is just like any other attribute, if a player has it and you set him up tactically to take advantage of it, he wil play better because of it. It costs CA points because a two footed player is clearly better than a one footed player wth the exact same other attributes.

in theory you're right, if there's the right balance with ca, attributes and weak foot ability.

in reality what happens is that if researchers don't pay attention to wfa attribute, you get avarage ca players looking like world beaters. thousends and thousends are affected like this, newgens, players with blank attributes. all the 'good' players like Veloso, Fazio, Palombo etc were good becouse of this issue.

we might argue that midfielders and strikers benefit from having good weak foot, defenders and gks don't need it. we're not talkin about a couple of attributes going up here and there. this issue can increase their attributes +2 all across the board!

remember this?

sallv.th.jpg

terryj.th.jpg

His decision making hasn't been 'cut', people really need to stop thinking about it in this way. It's no different to how any other attribute works. If a striker has relatively high tackling, people don't complain that his finishing has been cut because of it.

in theory you're right, if there's the right balance with ca, attributes and weak foot ability.

in reality what happens is that if researchers don't pay attention to wfa attribute, you get avarage ca players looking like world beaters. thousends and thousends are affected like this, newgens, players with blank attributes. all the 'good' players like Veloso, Fazio, Palombo etc were good becouse of this issue.

we might argue that midfielders and strikers benefit from having good weak foot, defenders and gks don't need it. we're not talkin about a couple of attributes going up here and there. this issue can increase their attributes +2 all across the board!

remember this?

sallv.th.jpg

terryj.th.jpg

Mitja: I believe that the "weak foot" bug was already very toned down in FM09, but there was still another major bug at play... the multiple position bug (due to which players with some weak attributes relevant to positions in which they were proficient would see their attributes shoot up across the board [see http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=58666]). My first inspection of FM10 leads me to believe that this other bug is also corrected (no more super Fazio or super Ilsinho). Nevertheless, some players (like Veloso or Vukcevic) might still look a little too good for their CA... I believe that occurs because the game "rates" the pace and acceleration attributes a little too heavily, and therefore slow players will look a little too good in their technical attributes... but with no speed they will not be better in the match engine, as you can quickly conclude by viewing a full game with Vukcevic in the wing.

His decision making hasn't been 'cut', people really need to stop thinking about it in this way. It's no different to how any other attribute works. If a striker has relatively high tackling, people don't complain that his finishing has been cut because of it.

Bigdunk, thank you. You've saved me saying what I say every time people moan that the "weaker foot" is "taking up" attribute points. You're my favourite user of the week.

I should really start writing down who my user of the week is.

Has anybody noticed that in FM2010 (demo), Van Persie's stats are pretty much the same as FM2009, but his preferred foot is now "either"?

I'm not sure if his CA has been raised a bit (although I do think it probably has), and I don't want to know if it has, but even if it has by a little bit, surely his stats would have dropped to accommodate his new two-foot ability??

Personally I don't think he should have an "either" rating, and its funny because his left-foot is said to be very strong and his right is said to be strong, yet Arshavin's right is very strong and his left is strong (I think) but he doesn't have an "either" rating. What's that about?

Maran: In the "first screen" of a player profile there are only three levels of proficiency in your weak foot, while on the position screen there are five (suppose your right foot is your best one, in the first screen you can only be "right foot only", "right foot" or "Either foot"; while in the position screen, your left foot will be either "very weak", "weak", "average", "strong" or "very strong"). These last five descriptions don't always map into the same description in the first screen (eg., you can be strong left foot, but not strong enough to be considered "either footed", but in some cases strong left foot might be enough for that).

Has anybody noticed that in FM2010 (demo), Van Persie's stats are pretty much the same as FM2009, but his preferred foot is now "either"?

I'm not sure if his CA has been raised a bit (although I do think it probably has), and I don't want to know if it has, but even if it has by a little bit, surely his stats would have dropped to accommodate his new two-foot ability??

Personally I don't think he should have an "either" rating, and its funny because his left-foot is said to be very strong and his right is said to be strong, yet Arshavin's right is very strong and his left is strong (I think) but he doesn't have an "either" rating. What's that about?

Footedness is rated on the same 1-20 scale as all attributes (Technically on the same 1-100 scale, but we only see the 1-20 visualisation). Therefore while Arshavin's left foot is high enough on the 1-20 to be strong, it is not close enough to Very Strong for him to be considered 2-footed.

A point to remember when considering footedness is that Right, Left, Right Only, Left Only and Either are derived from the numbers of the footedness and in themselves have no actual impact.

Footedness is rated on the same 1-20 scale as all attributes (Technically on the same 1-100 scale, but we only see the 1-20 visualisation). Therefore while Arshavin's left foot is high enough on the 1-20 to be strong, it is not close enough to Very Strong for him to be considered 2-footed.

A point to remember when considering footedness is that Right, Left, Right Only, Left Only and Either are derived from the numbers of the footedness and in themselves have no actual impact.

Ok just to confrim if two players have exactly the same attributes, age, everything, but one player is either footed and the other player is right only. So are we saying that in effect the two footed player is obsolete and in effect the two footedness of a player is irrelevant in terms of the match engine? So the two players are exactly the same even though one is ambidextrous. :)

Ok just to confrim if two players have exactly the same attributes, age, everything, but one player is either footed and the other player is right only. So are we saying that in effect the two footed player is obsolete and in effect the two footedness of a player is irrelevant in terms of the match engine? So the two players are exactly the same even though one is ambidextrous. :)

No. The two footedness is very relevant in the match engine. If it wasn't, it wouldn't affect CA.

I guess the reason so many people struggle with this is due to the fact that the way the system is currently implemented it makes no sense. In a world of attributes the devs decided to hide an important part of the system in a description. Not only that, but it seems that the fact that two footedness takes up overall CA it has the potential to hinder the players mental attributes which should not be impacted by his feet proficiency. So now the users are left wondering, hey I got this two footed player with 15 in finishing and 15 in dribbling, is he as good as my one footed player with 18 in those very same attributes? I think the best way to remedy this for the future is to have two rows of technical attributes, one for each foot.

I think that for the sake of clarity, the weak foot rating should at least be presented in the player screen in a 1-20 rating, and included in the graphical vision of the player attributes, to ensure that people keep this attribute in mind when deciding who to buy/play.

Would love a thorough, explanatory post or thread on this issue from someone at SI, to help us better understand how the system works - without us resorting to various theories - and to inform us of any plans to change the "two-footed" system to one that has been suggested here or to another type.

I guess the reason so many people struggle with this is due to the fact that the way the system is currently implemented it makes no sense. In a world of attributes the devs decided to hide an important part of the system in a description. Not only that, but it seems that the fact that two footedness takes up overall CA it has the potential to hinder the players mental attributes which should not be impacted by his feet proficiency. So now the users are left wondering, hey I got this two footed player with 15 in finishing and 15 in dribbling, is he as good as my one footed player with 18 in those very same attributes? I think the best way to remedy this for the future is to have two rows of technical attributes, one for each foot.

yes but some researchers don't pay attention even to one single attribute - player's weak foot ability, imagine the mess if they had to asses every techical attribute on their own.

for me this system would be most logical (wfa no weight attribute) - then in match engine it would work like this:

player's passing attibute is 20, wfa 10, passing with weaker foot is 10. long shots 10, long shots with weaker foot 5 etc.

Is it fair to say that, looking at your top scout's report on the player's Current Ability, is more trustworthy, of how well he will perform on the pitch, than to look at his attributes on your own? I mean, isn't the CA of a player an accurately view on how his attributes (and strong feet attributes) will effect the ME?

For the moment, I'm sticking with my scout's view on how good the players are.

This has never really need an issue with me since I don't see the point in having a player with all 20s anyways. I remember in one of the football games I had on the PS2 (I think it was FIFA) whereby you was able to create your own players. I made a Diego Maradona who was about as close to him as I could get because I didn't max out all of his stats. When a friend of mine came along and wanted to do the same he maxed everything out and the player played totally different than my Maradona. Sometimes it isn't how high certain stats are but also how low others are.

You can have a two-footed player with all the stats you need but he won't be able to do any other job for you. He'll be the perfect X-position player there is and that's it. But if you want a really good to amazing player who can play as X AND Y then you have to give up something else for him to be able to move between the two positions. For me that's being two-footed. After all, Maradona or Messi didn't/don't seem to miss their right foots.

Bestie.

yes but some researchers don't pay attention even to one single attribute - player's weak foot ability, imagine the mess if they had to asses every techical attribute on their own.

for me this system would be most logical (wfa no weight attribute) - then in match engine it would work like this:

player's passing attibute is 20, wfa 10, passing with weaker foot is 10. long shots 10, long shots with weaker foot 5 etc.

The problem with your "solution" is that if you are not giving any weight in the CA to the weak foot, but then the weak foot ability impacts the passing and shooting quality with the weak foot, a player with low weak foot ability, but otherwise equal to a player with a higher weak foot ability, would have the same CA as the strong weak foot player, even though the first player would be much worse in the match engine.

Is it fair to say that, looking at your top scout's report on the player's Current Ability, is more trustworthy, of how well he will perform on the pitch, than to look at his attributes on your own? I mean, isn't the CA of a player an accurately view on how his attributes (and strong feet attributes) will effect the ME?

For the moment, I'm sticking with my scout's view on how good the players are.

I would agree with this IJMU, SI games must know what they are doing on the weight they give to weak foot in the CA.

Archived